One coyote, one snake (picture) a wife that isn't (REMOVED)

Man that is nuts... I see more snakes that I care too but never, I mean never do anything other than shoot them several times and run away. You guys that handle them (even dead ones) have more stomach than I do.

All in all, cool story and the fact that your wife was there makes it that much cooler!

That must have been real funny. My wife loves shooting, but wont even kill a bunny or deer, let alone even get her around a snake. I remember skinning snakes as a kid. Now I'm like cbsshog79. Empty a clip from my .40 cal and run. Nice pics.

He looks big, congrats......The things one does for the wife.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Great story and your wife sounds very cool, too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I wish I could find one like that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I guess I'm a little fortunate that my wife doesn't try to goad me into doing stuff like agitating poisonous snakes...

They don't scare me any more than I scare them... And I try to leave it that way...I'll always leave them a 'back door' and then if they don't take it, I'll shoot them...

Quote:
I must say after living in the AZ desert all my life, I have let very, very few rattlers go unscathed. Congrads on yours.

I live by the "Saving Private Ryan" idealology. In the movie they let a German go free, who later came back to kill some of them. I'm 100% positive that in the future any snake that bites me, won't be one I let go! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cool!

You know, I think all the snakes musta gone to AZ from here this year. Not seen one yet. (knock on wood)

But, it just rained here, so I might start seeing them more.

Nice looking BUZZ TAIL ---will make a good looking mount & if it's for your Mother-In-Law be sure to remove the FANGS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have looked for the little devils and can never find them. I used to have security from a neighborhood that my folks lived in call and my dad and I would go and pick them up and relocate them. They were always found in the sprinkler at the kids park. I need another hat band.

Thats another good one ya got there.Im suprised that it came on out out of the hole though.It must not have realized that it was safe in there.I dont know why but that is one critter I definately want to get some day.I found five prairie rattlers last Tuesday but let them all go.They werent big enough to skin so I didnt mess with them.I have seen so many in the past couple of years that I usually dont bother them unless they are near a house or unless they are good sized ones.Plus there is a season on them here and its already over.Great story and cool pics as always. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The next time you head out into the field, stick a mirror in your pocket. A flash light absolutely won't work for this, except at night. Use the mirror to shine sun light in holes as you go along. It's the best way I know of to find snakes during the day, mostly in the morning and afternoon. When it's really hot snakes find the deepest hole they can find.

If you haven't done it you'd be amazed how much light you can get from a small morror. When I was still land surveying we frequently needed to look in holes to read markings, to see inverts and various other things. If we didn't have a morror we'd scroung around for anything shinny, the light shinning off a watch face can brighten a mighty dark hole.

My friends, I live in Florida, and they get bigggggg down here. We've killed several over the years that ran an easy 6', and were t h i c k! I tend to see snakes in general, and poisonous ones in particular, in a Biblical sense as emissaries of the devil, and I take action accordingly. There was a couple of years when I have troubles of the exact opposite nature. I couldn't go hunting without running across pygmies. Once I was sitting on a stool with my back up against a tree while deer hunting and after a while looked about 5' out in front of me to see a dang pygmy coming straight at me! Frankly, I took it kind of personally. I don't mind whacking a pygmy with a stick, but the full sized ones get shot forthwith. I just plumb don't like snakes.

Back