Remington 700 ejection failure

venatic

I was shooting my LVSF 17 Remington this morning and after the 5th shot the case failed to come out and after closing the bolt on it several times I gave up and continued shooting the other guns and once home I pushed the case out with a cleaning rod and when I stick the same case back in it still will not eject but other fired cases work ok as do the live rounds I have tryed.Is the extractor on these kinda weak because it looks tiny compared to the Savage and the CZ.I am wondering if its broken off part of it.

It could be weak, unlikely though. The design is marginal, but does work very well. They do get small pieces of case brass behind the extractor that will cause it not to work properly. A good cleaning will probably bring it to full like again. If not a replacement would be in order.

Sizing of the brass might be an issue also. I've had some brass with the shoulder pulled by the expander button during the resizing. I would bet that if you had not fired this round it would have still stuck in the chamber.

How firm was it getting that round into the chamber in the first place?Btw , it is an extraction failure not ejection, the ejector is the small pin that pushes the case after it is extracted and sends it on its way from the action.Check for buildup in the bolt face and as stated before make sure the sizing is done correctly as the shoulder may be buldged from poor sizing if they are reloads.

The extractor is the problem, not the ejector.

Call remington, they will send you a couple for free.

Either you or your Smith can install them in a couple of minutes. Cut 2 or 3 coils off the ejector spring and you are good to go.

I had this same problem.

Dave

I'm not even gonna go there.

Dave

Yes I am, The extractor pulls the bullet out, the ejector kicks it out the side of the action.

Better let the gunsmith handle changing the extractor.

Last edited:
min spec case rim.........measure the diameter of the case rim and compare it to casess that extract.

PS extraction is pulling the case from the chamber - extractor is a c shaped piece fitting inside the bolt head in a groove

ejector toses the case free of the gun and it is a plunger in the face of the bolt head, spring loaded

Regardless of previous posts.

Last edited:
"Yes I am, The extractor pulls the bullet out, the ejector kicks it out the side of the action."

Dave the extractor pulls the case out of the chamber, the primer and powder push the "bullet" out. LOL

Dan,

My bad, Senior moment, HA HA> I meant the shell casing (brass) I guess I need to be a little more specific around you technical people.

Dave

I am surprised I missed that. I would have been all over someone else for that Faux Pas.

Look at that case rim carefully, use a magnafyer if needed I think you may find a chunk out of it the extractor bit off since the case did not move in the chamber the extractor had nothing to grab on to to pull the case out of the chamber. Since it works now with other cases it is doubtful the rifle itself. If it fails to extract several cases or fails intermitently then the extractor has some problem either the hook is bent or it needs to be replaced.

Back