Does anyone know these guns?

canislatrans54

Hello,
I went to an auction today that had a few revolvers.
The only one I recognized was a S&W 38 cal.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Has anyone ever heard of the following: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hawes, 22LR 6-shot SA, w/4" to 5" barrel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
This gun had a removable style cylinder.
While it was in good shape, it did appear to have been shot "a lot". Although, it appeared to have been cleaned regularly.
This gun sold for $150 + tax. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Arminius HW-7, 22LR 8-shot DA, w/5" to 6" barrel? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
This gun, said "Made in Germany", FIE Miami, Flo..
It had a swing-out cylinder, & appeared to be in almost new condition. Again, looked well-maintained.
This gun sold for $180 + tax. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I'm just curious as to whether I may have let a couple of good deals pass by... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
kinda like that '94 Caddy I saw sell @ the same auction for $300, because it needed a head gasket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

The Hawes was a cheap knock off of a Colt Scout. Not well fitted, and they broke a lot!
Don't know about the other one.
F1

Naw, you didn't miss any deals there. Both are low end imports and aren't really known for anything good. As a matter of fact, I'd say the seller came out of those deals way, way, ahead.

The Hawes is also German made. It was made by J.P. Sauer (sp?) and sons. I sold quite a few in the early 70's and never had one come back. I owned a Hawes .357 Mag SA for quite a few years. It was accurate and well made for the price. Here's a photo of one of the victims.........

Image4.jpg

I also sold a few Arminius revolvers. I've never had one come back, but they didn't sell as well as the Hawes, so fewer were in use.

Hey weas is that the way you dressed for every hunt in the 70's. It looks like your going out to tear up the town /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I had probably been fishing earlier that day. I never worried about what I was wearing at night. That was actually supposed to be a scouting trip with no animals shot. My partner wanted to see a coyote get whacked with the 357 mag and that little dog kept coming right at us. That old revolver is still in use. I gave it to a young guy in California and he uses it to this day for plinking and shooting jackrabbits.

Dang it Weasel they had Cameras when you were a young man?

I thought they were still drawing pictures on cave walls when you were young! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hawes was made by Sauer and Sons of West Germany so was the Arminus DA they were both imported in the sixties and seventies. The Sauer was more a knock off of the Ruger single six than the Colt though. At the prices you report were paid for them the buyers got ripped off. I don't think either of them brought that much new and niether haver any collector value. H had a Hawes SA in 44 mag back in 1973 the cylander got loose in less than five hundred rounds, and rattled when the revolver was shook. I ended up tradeing it for a case of beer and a box of cigars, I still think I got the best end of the deal. Never could hit crap with that handgun, even up close.

I bought a Hawes single action in .44 mag, back in the late sixties for $90.00. It was a very nice looking gun. Nice grips and the frame was color case hardned. It shot pretty well for about a year or so. I took a friend pig hunting at a military base in California, and he wanted to shoot it. He couldn't hit the floor with the thing and I was using .44 specials in it at the time. I told him to give me the gun and I would show him how it was done. He was standing about 4 feet behind me and about two feet to my right. I put some full power 44 mag loads in it and started shooting. When I fired the third shot, he hollered, and grabed his hand. I didn't think much of it because there were a lot of bees nearby, and I thought he got stung. At the next shot, he grabbed his face and fell over on his back. I ran to him just as he was lowering his hands, and found a piece of copper jacket sticking out of his face, right between his eyes! He was more scared than anything else, and when I realized what it was, I looked at my gun. The cylinder was jammed, and there was a large piece of lead, and some copped jacket between the barrel and the cylinder. I got the cylinder out, and when I saw that it was a timing issue, I threw the cylinder down stream in the river we were shooting over, and threw the frame up stream! As far as I know, it may still be there. I may have been able to get it repaired, but I shot it for a year, so I guess I got my moneys worth. I've bought nothing but Ruger double and single actions ever since.

I picked up a little snub nosed Arminius in the 70's and carried it on my trap line for many years. It was cheaply made but reliable and killed more critters than most guns ever will all at about 10ft or less. Just reciently traded it for an old Stevens hammer double with fluid steel barrels.

AWS

Quote:
Naw, you didn't miss any deals there. Both are low end imports and aren't really known for anything good. As a matter of fact, I'd say the seller came out of those deals way, way, ahead.

I agree I think both brought every penny they are worth and then some

Rick

I have a Arminus 22lr, 8 shot with a 6" barrel. I got it in the early 60's. It was the most accurate 22lr that I have ever shot except for a S&W K-22. It has many thousands of rounds through it and now is worn to the point that it will not rotate the cylinder on cocking. I was hunting with a cousin one day and things were dull and he was bragging on how good his Arminus would shoot. He proved it by shooting a horsefly off the jeep hood without hitting the hood. He wanted some 22mag he had seen and I wanted that Arminus. So I traded him my (don't ask) for it.
They will not hold up like the higher priced guns.

My dad liked it and bought one that was 22lr and 22mag with another cylinder. My brother has it now and I don't think it is as accurate as mine was.

Wasn't the single actions that Herters were selling Hawes? I always wanted one of the 401 power mags, but never got one.

Back