oopsy doopsy

yoopereh

Here is a little story I thought to share with everyone.
Last year one week before Christmas I brought my savage 30-06 to a gunsmith and asked for a re-barrel job. I wanted to change it to a 35 whelen. Something happened where we couldn't get the right barrel, service time was slow, and I wanted to start saving up for a dtech upper instead. I told him to cancel the job. It wasn't till this week when I went back to pick up my rifle. I notified the gunsmith in advance and he stated everything would be ready. I showed up and he said there you go your savage 111 in 300 wsm. I said my savage is a 114 in 30-06. To make a long story short he couldn't find it. He is checking around to see who may accidentally have my rifle.
Here is the question. If he cant find it what firearm would you want for equivalent value (approx. 400$)? Why?

Here are my thoughts tikka 22-250, glock 31 357 sig, 6.8 upper, 243 win, or 25-06 in 98 mauser.

Quote:
If he has an FFL, which he ought to, working on guns, it should be a matter of looking in the book...

That does not answer the question.

According to my impression of your situation. I would simply look around his shop till I decided "Hey, I'll take that one over there in the corner" Shouldn't be a problem. Accountability is unimportant apparently.

I'd have a lawyer take his [beeep] shop and his license. I would have my gun or a brand dang new one like.

How about a big fat $400 cash..or the 300wsm.. Oh, but I suppose that belongs to sombody else.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

If he has no records he should not be accepting peoples firearms period.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Whatever you choose be sure you don't sell it. He may call you in six months wanting it back.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Obviously there were TWO mistakes...

1) He does not have YOUR rifle.
(Who has your rifle?)

2) He tried to give you someone elses' rifle.
(What's that guy gonna get when he comes back?)

Is it a domino effect?

My point is, he better be glad it wasn't my late Grandads rifle. We would have an instant problem.

Sorry I didn't answer you question about how to settle with him. You can handle that how you see fit.

The thing that gets me is his lack of keeping things straight record-wise. He should have an accounting of where you rifle is within 5 minutes. Unless he sold it to someone needing a 30-06...

BATF is VERY particular about how the records are kept.
However he settles with you would be in question if he gave you a firearm. Cash does not go into the records, but guns do...Would you trust that in 6 months the BATF would not be knocking on your door asking for evidence?

There is a simple solution...

File a small claims law suit against him for $2,000, (it was a rare model).

Have him go to court and explain to a judge how he "... lost a federal regulated firearm"... and how "he gave a firearm to someone without a background check".

You will get your rifle back in record time.

Savage 114 in 30-06 plus a little somthing for you time waiting and discompfort. Unless that old Savage has some sentamental value for you then it would be a lot more.
You don't want to get greedy, bad Kerma you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Quote:
Savage 114 in 30-06 plus a little somthing for you time waiting and discompfort. Unless that old Savage has some sentamental value for you then it would be a lot more.
You don't want to get greedy, bad Kerma you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

It is not greed - it's called "Motivation and Incentive" - if you ask for $400, he will stall around...

... if you ask for $2,000, he will call everyone he has handled a rifle for in the past year.

+1 for ROCKINBBAR!! The feds(to my understanding, talking to my gunsmith) check those FFL's periodically. They had better be in order or the gunsmith has BIG problems. To lose your rifle, and, then, try to give you another one? I would run, not walk, to the BATF because this guy NEEDS to be investigated. Is the guy a real gunsmith? I don't know about the rest of you, but, the guy I go to is real particular about the condition of his FFL's, plus, whenever he changes a barrel/caliber he takes it to the range, fires two rounds, then, keeps one with his records and gives you the second. He is very good at what he does.

I would be real concerned about your gunsmiths behavior!!

Just my 2cts on this post.

Since we are talking Da U.P. here & it sounds like he is trying to work with you I would try to get it worked out without the lawyers involved. I have a Savage 110 30-06 I bet I would trade for $400. I put in a few improvements but only payed $220 for it. Put me down for the Tikka 22-250.

Not that it's your fault but I get nervous whenever my guns are not in the home safe without a good reason.

I agree with rockinbbar. He either does not want to tell you what happened to it, it is around there somewhere, or he really lost it. Anyway you cut it he owes you a rifle quick! I would give him the opportunity to make it right before taking it to court. Furthermore, I doubt he would be working on any more of my guns.

Quote:
Quote:
If he has an FFL, which he ought to, working on guns, it should be a matter of looking in the book...

That does not answer the question.

Why do so many people have their panties in a wad?

Oh, and your post didn't answer the question either chief...

Last edited:
Out of those you mentioned I'd also go with the Tikka but only AFTER you figure out what your gunsmith is trying to do...

I would give the guy a chance to find it. It has been 7 months already what is another week. I HOPE it is just on the wrong shelf in the back room. If after a week or so then start looking at compensation. If your gun does not show up I would get copies of his records stating you gave the gun to him and he lost it just in case...
Just my .02
Mark

Quote:
There is a simple solution...

File a small claims law suit against him for $2,000, (it was a rare model).

Have him go to court and explain to a judge how he "... lost a federal regulated firearm"... and how "he gave a firearm to someone without a background check".

You will get your rifle back in record time.

Sorry Catshooter but bad idea. The guy needs to make it right with him and quick. That is a fact that there is no doubt about. Aside from the fact that your idea is dishonest (maybe some people dont have a problem with this) but what if you end up in court? Then the burden of proof is on you to prove that a Savage 114 in 30-06 is a rare model worth $2000.00 dollars. Not to hard to figure out that you lied about the value of your property and the next thing you know you are charged with a Perjury. You think the gunsmith is not going to dispute the value of the firearm? A judge that hears civil suits is well versed at researching the value of property especially when its in dispute. Now you turned a situation where you were a victim to one where you are the suspect. Not only could you end up in jail but you could lose your gun rights FOREVER. You usually come up with some good information but I respectfull submit, this one is not your brightest moment and a good way to get your [beeep] handed to you. If your goal is motivation then the BATF is an aweful strong motivator if thats what it comes down to.

Quote:
Sorry Catshooter but bad idea. The guy needs to make it right with him and quick.

There was a bit of "Tongue-in-cheek" there, which you should have seen...

... but the point of it is that often, these guys will drag their butts hoping that the problem will "just go away" if they stall long enough.

There is nothing that will get someone's attention like being served by a marshal in the morning with a court order to appear, that says, "You are being sued" - it's like drinking 30 cups of black coffee in five minutes.

I have been through this many times with small vendors that made excuse after excuse after excuse for six months to a year... and the problem got solved a week or two after being served, WITHOUT having to go to court - and you get your filing fees back.

Nothing dishonest about it - they are the ones that are dishonest!

Back