Foaming bore cleaner question

HighPlainsDrifter

I wanted to pick up some foaming bore cleaner but my experience with it is limited. I was leaning towards Wipe Out but SW is out right now. I was looking at several other brands including Knockout and Gunslick. On the Gunslick can it recommends that it not be used on gas operated systems. None of the other cans gave the same warning. Why is this, and is it accurate or BS? Are all these brands pretty much the same or should I be steering towards a particular brand? Anyone use any other brands like the ones mentioned above or the Break Free, Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber or CVA Gun Blaster? Any help would be appreciated.

R,
As I understand it, all foaming bore cleaners are the same except for Wipe-Out. I'll try to find the info and edit this. I use the Wipe-out and noticed it was better/faster than the Outers. You shouldn't use them in a gas operated gun because the foam can fill the gas tube. [Edit: I'm sure this is a liability concern for the makers, not knowing exactly how the product will be used. I just read and follow instructions] I'd hold off and get the Wipe-out cause I have a can of Outers in the gargage collecting dust.
Let me go look for that other post.
M

Edit: Here is the information I was looking for.

Outers, Gunslick, Hoppe's, Forrest and a few others are all made by Milfoam in finland, WipeOut is made here in the US by SharpShootR Precision, and is the better of the foaming products, but not as easy to find locally.

http://www.milfoam.fi/barrel_cleaning_products.html

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Here is the link to that page so you can read it if you want.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...ue#Post52826594

Last edited:
Is foaming bore cleaner getting into the gas system any different or worse than another solvent? If you wet brush or wet patch the bore, solvent is going to get into the gas block and gas tube.
I use Wipeout foam and blast the gas tube out with brake cleaner from the receiver end after the bore is clean.

I do the same as Evil_Lurker. I foam the barrel many times over a day, and when it stops foaming out blue, I blast the barrel and the gas tube with brake cleaner than clean it with oil and patches.
Works good for me.

Quote:
I do the same as Evil_Lurker. I foam the barrel many times over a day, and when it stops foaming out blue, I blast the barrel and the gas tube with brake cleaner than clean it with oil and patches.
Works good for me.

I bought a package of those loooooooooong gas tube (look like 24" pipe cleaners) cleaners from Midway. After I foam the barrel in my AR, I run a tube cleaner down the gas tube to clear out any of the gook that got in it. Works fine, and I get a nice shiny clean bore out of it.

Rustydusty, no flame intended here as I am no AR expert. I did recently read an article by supposed experts and they said that cleaning the gas tube with a pipe cleaner was unnecessary and that the gas tube would last as long as the gun without cleaning. Don't know who is right. Don

I also use Wipeout in my AR's with no problems. I use the pipe cleaner in the gas tube but not to clean it, just to plug it up and keep the foam from coming back into the action. The first shot will take care of any left over foam in the tube.

Ron

Good information. Thanks for the help. I guess I was wondering myself why I couldnt just spray some action blaster or brake clean down the gas tube. Most of the foaming bore cleaners advertise they are non corrosive so I guess I was wondering what the harm would be to the gas system.

I've been using the Wipeout patch out on my AR instead of the foaming stuff lately, I think it works as good or better plus it is not as messy. I'm also using their carbout and the acelarator with both products it is supposed to cut the cleaning time by half. Its pretty much all I use anymore.

While I havn't used wipe-out, I just broke two barrels in with Patch-Out. I doubt I'll use anything else ever again, other than the accelerator. I was a Butch Bore Shine guy.

Seems like if you did happen to get some gunk in the gas tube it would either clear itself the next shooting session or cause a stoppage that could be cleared then. It would tend to blow MORE crap into the reciever though

I've used Wipeout and Outer's in two AR's for a couple of years w/o incident. I do generally blow out the gas tube afterwards, using a can of compressed air normally sold in office supply stores just to reduce possibility of blowing crud back into receiver.

Regards,
hm

Quote:
Rustydusty, no flame intended here as I am no AR expert. I did recently read an article by supposed experts and they said that cleaning the gas tube with a pipe cleaner was unnecessary and that the gas tube would last as long as the gun without cleaning. Don't know who is right. Don

No flames taken, Don. But I the upper off my gun and shoot some Wipe-Out in it a time or two and after the barrel is clean I stick one of them 2 foot pipe cleaners down the gas tube just to make sure it is clear. Maybe I dont need to do it, I dont know, but 204dude on this forum gave me some of those pipe cleaners so I figure may as well use them. I dont know much about AR-15's but I do like a clean gun so then I can take it out and get it dirty again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back