Jeep Wrangler ??

Quote:
Wonder if anyone makes a pickup style hard top (front seats only) for the Wrangler?

Yes, there are at least two of them that I've seen. The one I really like is super expensive though - it's made by American Expedition Vehicles (AEV). The other one is a lot more affordable, made by Gr8tops. There may be others. There are a bunch of soft top half cab setups to choose from too, that are really inexpensive.

What kind of MPG you might get really "depends". All of the guys I know running 4 cylinders around here, in the mountains, and all with bigger tires, get about the same as I get in my 6 cylinder - which is around 13 - 15 MPG. If you armor it up with a winch bumper and add that boom you are talking about, I think you'll probably be getting MPG about the same or worse than most 4.0L Wranglers get. Frankly, much as I love Jeeps, I would not pull the trigger on this deal if fuel economy is your reason. You'll end up disapointed.

Keep in mind too, the frames on these things are not that heavy duty. You'll have to do some serious fabrication/reinforcement of the frame and frame tie-ins for that boom if you are going to be picking up many 700 pound animals with it. Otherwise, you'll have pretty serious frame damage, pretty quick. You'll want to address the suspension too, for hauling those heavy loads. Wranglers just aren't made for that, and especially not the 4's.

Quote:

Everyone post your pictures of your Jeeps.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Since you asked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

Here's my rack for dead coyotes:

11-17%203.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

One like Dan has, would not work for me. Kills the departure angle too severely. I'd get stuck on it and or bend/break it the first day.

Couple more purely gratuitous pictures of my Jeep...

IMG_1678.jpg

11-17%208.jpg

A couple from this weekend:

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

What the heck, you DID ask for them, two more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

IMG_1952b.jpg

SteepJeep-2w.jpg

- DAA

HM, yes it is aluminum, it came from Harbor Freight and is a one hand removable unit, and cheap at that.
It could be made to hinge up if needed. I jacked the Jeep up instead of doing that.

Dave,

Love the photos. I knew that you were really into the jeeps. I wish that when we were out there that we could have went with that instead of your truck, but with too many people and equipment, it just wasn't possible. But, I really do like the jeeps. I have been considering getting an older Land Cruiser as well, but they are very expensive to maintain. They sure look good when fixed up. I can see myself getting another Jeep someday. But, at this point in my life, with 2 young children, I don't see it in the near future. And, I do really like the Rubicons.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to get a rack, rifle, and gear, on one of my new toys. Can't beat the gas mileage!

DSC00687.jpg

Dump out that tool bag. It looks big enough for a scorpion. Then strap your gun and a pair of pred. sniper styx on your back and your good to go. Just leave the cammera crew home.

Quote:
Just leave the cammera crew home.

Or you could pull them in a couple of red flyer wagons... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When you guys say "6 cylinder" are you talking about the 3.7 six cylinder as in the new ones? I'm curious about opinions of that engine? I've been told good things about it. My wife just bought what I call a "Girls Jeep" a fancied up 08' Liberty Limited. It has all the little bells and whistles they put on them. She has about 1,000 miles on it in the last couple of months and so far has had 21.5 mpg on the highway - if she keeps the speed below 62 mph. Over that and the mpg drops. I tease her about taking it hunting, but after she has been out with me in my 4x4 truck, there is no way she's gonna get that thing on the old logging roads and mudholes I slide around in.

I think the 3.7 is rated at better MPG than the 4.0 straight six.

The only experience I've had were with the 2.3 liter & the 4.0....
The 4.0 seemed to have more power off road, but not alot, & the same held true for on the highway.

This is due to the low gearing of the 4 cyl. & the high gears of the 4.0...
I was disappointed in the 4.0's gas milage.

The thing about the 3.7's is that you lose a lot of low-end torque compared to the 4.0....That's usually the case when auto makers are forced to fall within C.A.F.E requirements set forth by the govt.
(Corporate Avg. Fuel Economy)= means that every vehicle produced by the individual auto makers MUST avg. XX MPG.
All vehicles are included under 8500 GVW. (3/4 & 1 ton trucks not included)

So, for every gas guzzler they sell, they must sell several cracker boxes rated at 34 mpg to keep their cafe requirements to standards.

So, the automakers don't put the best engine for the useage you want in a vehicle anymore. They put more gutless, gas saving engines in the ones that really might need power & torque.

Any time you swap a straight six that has lots of torque for a high-slant "V" 6 or 8 to maximize fuel economy, you lose the power. (Unless you are driving the groceries home from the store...then you might not miss it)

You are right, it IS a "Girl's Jeep"....that's what they are ALL coming to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Great Jeep pictures! I had a Wrangler and loved everything but the mileage. Mine was a 6 banger auto but I loved everything else. Sold it to a fellow that gave it to his son. The son lost control on a paved road and totaled the jeep. He over corrected and it got away from him. After the jeep I bought an ATV. I drive my truck to the end of the paved or good road then jump the ATV out of the back and take it on the two tracks where I used to drive my jeep. ATV gets better than 20 mpg off road and my pickup or jeep repair cost is nearly zero since I quit offroading with them. I will not take it off the 2 track roads and make sure the landowners know this. Its quieter than my pickup or jeep ever was, which lets me slip in to call without letting the neighborhood know Im around. It loads in the back of my truck and stores in my shed. A UTV might even be a better deal not sure on what kind of mileage they get. As for the ATV mileage I believe Honda ATVs get the best mpg and any unit with fuel injection does better than its counter part without it.

I've had several jeeps over the past 32yrs....loved every one of them. I've had my '97 TJ Sahara for 6yrs with no probs whatsoever. It now has 110,000mi on it.

Mods: Rubicon Express 2" lift, LockRite Locker on the front, 33" mud terrains, swaybar disco's, Hi-Lift and a compass in the glove box.

Gas mileage has been 19 highway, 16 around town. Offroad? Depends on terrain and my mood. I'd not want any other vehicle offroad. Period.

Here is a pic:

S7302335.jpg

Jay I guess you must have mellowed or like the ride better. Forgot I had these from the PM hunt a couple years ago...
DSC_0090a.jpg

...Uncle Jay keeping a watchful eye out fro predators sneeking in!
DSC_0087a.jpg

Hey Rod. That's a cool picture of my Dodge.
Must have been cold because that's my cold weather gear.

I traded in the red Jeep for that truck.
Drove that Jeep for 9 years. The Dodge is now that old.
Time to get something new.

Jay
My office manager here bought a FJ?? Toyota. I got to say I am impressed. If I were looking at a Jeep type truck I might consider this one.

Quote:
Jay
My office manager here bought a FJ?? Toyota. I got to say I am impressed. If I were looking at a Jeep type truck I might consider this one.

If jeeps didnt exist I would have a "landsnoozer" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i have a 98 wrangler with the 4 cylinder and the 5 speed. on the hiway it runs 20-22 mpg and cruising around in the hills maybe 15-16. it has 116k miles on it and i have never one a thing but change the oil. as far as hauling stuff, i have had a cow elk stuffed in the back but had to remove the rear window to make it fit.
by far the best (and funnest) truck ive ever owned.
also, jeeps seem to hold their value

heres a pic of the only time ive ever gotten stuck. i have 31" tires and there was water coming in the drivers door!

[image]
P8030001.jpg
[/image]

I have a 95 yj with a 4' lift and 32-11.50. It's a automatic with a 4 cyl. and get 15-16 higway and 13 in the hills. Which is not a whole lot better than the GMC 2500hd with a 6.0 I just bought that gets 13-14 higway and 10 pulling my trailer up the mountain.

Quote:
i have a 98 wrangler with the 4 cylinder and the 5 speed. on the highway it runs 20-22 mpg and cruising around in the hills maybe 15-16.

Now that's what I wanted to hear. In spite of some reports of poor mileage, I decided to go ahead and get the jeep. I noticed that most members reporting poor mileage were in mountain areas and we are flat as a pancake. I'm sure the little 4 cyl. is underpowered for hills and headwinds. In fact, I proved that today. I flew to San Antonio this morning to pick up this 2002, 4 cyl. 5 sp. std. w/35,000 miles on it.

IMG_2643.jpg

Headed back home and barely beat outer bands of Hurricane Dolly.

From SA to Corpus Christi, bucked a 25 mph headwind and held 60 mph. Could tell the little 4 was workin' hard. Got 17 mpg on that leg. From CC to Brownsville, held 55 mph. (looking for comfortable speed for that engine); could tell this was not loading the engine as much and got 21 mpg. Tires are 31".

Quote:
Must be that shiny red paints fault you didn't see that mud hole.

Gosh, I hope not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking forward to getting it on the ranch and see what kind of mileage it gets there.

Sure got lot of work to do on it to get it up to speed for hunting, though. Bumpers for front and rear receiver to mount winch, wiring, chair, carrier,............. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Right now, hunkered down awaiting arrival of Dolly tomorrow morning. Been a long day.

Regards,
hm

HM1996, nice jeep! Hey, they are all nice and a class of their own.

Two things to get you started:

1. practice the jeep wave. Be ready to wave at all the other cj, yj, and (yours) tj owners. It's a fraternity thing.

2. Get rid of the running boards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back