Snub nose CCW guys.......

trashcan

I currently carry a S&W model 49 in .38 special. I love the gun but I've decided to upgrade to a Taurus model 651 for carry in the city:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=271&category=Revolver

My question for you guys is what type of reloading system do you carry? I've always thrown 5 extra shells in my watch pocket but having them loose isn't going to cut it anymore. I'm looking at speedloaders VS. speedstrips. I'm leaning toward the speedstrips because of the concealability factor but I'm open to all opinions. Thanks and enjoy the rest of your Sunday!!

Trashcan
DCC

Speed strips work well if you practice how to load with them.
When I was shooting competition using speedloaders I had to practice with them as well.

I was always faster loading 2 at a time from the loops. But, if I had to carry them flat, I'd pick the speedstrips.

Hot there in Bulverde today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I use both the speed strips and the regular quick loader. Most of the time it is the speed strips because they are easier to hide and much more comfortable in the pocket.

38Smithnickle2.jpg

I have a little 38 Rossi I got years ago that is my pocket gun an usually use a speed loader ,but it does look like a third nut in the pocket,

Speed Strips.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif For the purpose you stated... If you were likely to be in a duty reload situation or competition, the speed loaders would be best...

Depends a lot on how you dress, I carried a S&W M 36 for years it fit in the hip pocket of my jeans real nice but reloads were always a problem. After I got a bit older, and started filling out I took to wearing a shirt jacket or vest over a tee shirt with jeans even in summer, that gave he a few more options for speed loaders. About that time I went to a Ruger SP 101 357, the speed loaders are the same but the handgun was enough larger that I had to carry it in a belt holster, I also started wearing slightly looser trousers or jeans and the speed loaders dropped in the pockets with out to bad an imprint. I never cared for the speed strips prefering loose ammo to them but that was a personal opinion and the loose ammo was on a duty belt in a dump pouch or in belt loops. What ever you decide on it is a personal decision, you have to come to on your own by trial and practice. Look at how you dress, can you add anything to your normal attire, that will not cause notice or comment? Do you normally wear a jacket or sport coat of some sort? Coat tails cover a lot if your careful. Baggy pockets can also hold a lot.

Quote:

Hot there in Bulverde today? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not too bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
721008.jpg

Crap. it's hot again!!! Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!!
Trashcan
DCC

Just wondering if anyone here with a CCW has ever had to do a tactical reload? I carry a speed loader in the console just to keep the ammo together.

Quote:
Snub noses are a [beeep] to shoot accurately, I suggest that you practice a lot and by all means get a trigger job.

I have shot this gun more than any other gun I own,(the mod 49), and the trigger is smooth as silk. As for accuracy, by god, I'll ruin a bad guy/girls day, make their family weep, and save the paramedics time and effort from 25yds on in.
I am confident with my snubby and I gurantee I'll shoot the snot out of my new one till it works like my 49.
Trashcan
DCC

Snubbies are fine as a SD gun like you said under 25 yards, Heck acctually under fifteen is justifiable SD range and they will do that as well and usually a bit faster than any full sized revolver or semi

Quote:
Snubbies are fine as a SD gun like you said under 25 yards, Heck acctually under fifteen is justifiable SD range and they will do that as well and usually a bit faster than any full sized revolver or semi

Blinddog I think the local stats on SD here say the average range is under 13.5 feet.

Here is the twin to my gun.

pix2224588421.jpg

Last edited:
I carry a Taurus Ultra-light 38 special. Here's the model I have. Very nice little gun. It goes into a front jeans pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. If you not fired full bore 357's in a 25 ounce snubby your in for a thrill. I'd stick to the 38's.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=289&category=Revolver

I carry two speed loaders in the other front pocket. I'm a bit guy and the speed loaders along with a pocket knife are unnoticeable.

I know this is not what you asked and may be off topic, but make mine a 1911.

The 66 smith is too large to hide and the chief's special doesn't hide as well as old slabsides IMHO and extra magazines conceal very comfortably. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Regards,
hm

I have several Model 36 Smiths, a model 60, and several taurus model 85's.

All of these guns have a trigger and action jobs.

With custom loads selected for each pistol, 25 yards is a long shot, with the 3" Taurus 85's being the most accurate in the bunch.

I shoot a lot, and am very aware of my limitations with the various pistols that I shoot.

25 yards (75 feet) is one heck of a long shot with a snub nose, and the most accurate snub nose that I have owned was a Model 66.

There is one test that you can do to judge your effectivness with your snubbie which is really quite simple.
With what ever kind of target you feel comfortable with, put it out at 7 yards. Draw your pistol as fast as you can out of your pocket and fire the pistol as quickly as you can at the target one handed, double action, just as if you were fending off an attacker.

The vast majority of people that I have carried through this drill, have missed the target completley more than they have hit it...at 7 yards!

Completing the same drill at 15 feet is really an eyeopener also!

The last fellow that I completed this test with was a real believer in Charter Arms 38 Special Snubbies, he had 3 of them and 2 Rossi Snubbies. I carried him out to the range, set up a target. None of his pistols had a trigger job. I put the target at 25 feet, laid the pistol on the table in front of him and with a timer in my hand, told him to grab the pistol and shoot the target 5 times. We repeated the procedue 3 times. In 15 shots, he had hit the target 8 times with many hits on the edges, not in the center.

We repeated the procedure with each pistol of his, and he was not a happy camper. Then I let him use my Smith model 60 with a trigger job, his accuracy was MUCh better, then we went with the 3" Taurus, and he showed more improvment.

Point being, the stiff trigger will usually leade a person to shoot low as they break their wrist (down) in an attempt to pull the heavy trigger.

Even though this guy was a pretty good shot with his 1911 45 ACP, he could not hit a bear in the A$$ with those snubbies with the heavy triggers. He did get trigger jobs on most of those Charter Arms and Rossi pistols and is quite effective with them now.

So if you own a snubbie, get a trigger job and practice. Shooting a snub nose is one of the more difficult guns to master that you will ever shoot.

Nice gun ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
I carry a DAO snubby, but I usually don't carry extra ammo.

PC

ackleyman, you are correct sir /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, 25 yds is quite a distance. I have never been in a situation where I have had to fire a weapon to neutralize a threat. My experience has been with various paper objects and the odd moving target thrown in here or there. I try to keep sharp with trips to the range and lots of shooting at my special spots. I really like the drills you put up, and I've printed them out and I'll have a go at them. Like I said earlier, my 49 trigger is smooth like butter, who knows, it could have been worked on before I got it. Also, I concur my good man, triggers make a world of difference as does practice. Now..where do you stand on speedstrips vs. speedloaders?
Trashcan
DCC

Much of my carry is a S&W M640 357 with Badger grips. I had it Magna-Ported and it is very controllable. I load a Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. bullet that is intended for 38SP snubbies.

I know, Massad Ayoob will argue that one shouldn't be using ho-made ammo in a defensive weapon for legal reasons, but my attitude is that I want the best load possible at the time. I'll deal with the lawyers later, assuming I survive.

At 25'-40' the 640 will not make many friends! I figure at those distances, I'm not going to have time to do any reloading so the first five have to count.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

So I just have to make certain that I have no more than 5 "perps" coming after me. If there are 6, I have a problem.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back