Ever record yourself while calling?

SRS 1

I was wondering if my calls sounded anything like the js tapes I have, so I recorded myself doing what I thought was a rabbit. After play back, that was the hoarsest, sickest sounded critter I have ever heard. No wonder I wasn't having much success. I was wondering if that is something most of you do? shane

Shane,
Althought the taped sounds are definitely accurate to the sound of a rabbit in distress, it's important to know that no two rabbits sound alike. (In fact, most newbies "learn" off those sounds, mimic them at every stand, and thus, those particular sounds become far overused and abused.) I've heard some pretty awful sounding calling done, and had to do some shooting because of it. Don't discount your personal technique as being the cause of your absence of success to date. In fact, too many guys equate no coyote with poor sound, when the sound you make is often a minor factor. Look more at your entry technique, your setup, and above all else, the time of the year. Lotsa smart coyotes out there right now. After all, they've survived an entire hunting season with their hides. As far as taping yourself, I've found it very, very helpful to video tape my setups. I hit the go button just before I start making sound and tape the entire setup. If I don't call anything, I simply reverse and tape over that on the next stand. If a coyote comes in, I tape his approach and his responses to the sounds I'm making. They're like game tapes that you can review over and over. You''ll learn something new and see something you didn't see the last time, each time you watch them. Great educational tool.

Back