maryland hunters

I been hunting deer and sika down there but i haven't tried the predators but i do hunt a lot around the dover area in Delaware, where in md are yea

Quote:
i was just wondering how many people predator hunt in md, where they go, and what calls they use

I'm over in Owings Mills. I've been out here for 12 years, but I grew up hunting in WA St, so I learned on western coyotes. The easterns are sure here, but lots harder to call for several reasons, a lot of it has to do with the thick cover here. According to the DNR, most coyotes are taken by firearms season deer hunters who happed to see one trot by when they are up in their stands and just drill him.

I've got a Foxpro FX-3 and JIB decoy and the usual hand calls. My best coyote call is coyote pups. The best coyote country here starts in Washington Co. and gets better as you go west to Allegheny and Garrett Co's.

The DNR confirms that there are coyotes in each county in MD, but I am not familiar with people having much luck outside Western MD.

One of my buddies, another PM'er, lives out on the shore and he gets lots of foxes but says the only coyote out there anybody has seen was roadkill.

With the high gas prices I've been looking closer to home and I've been doing some public land scouting in Frederick County, around Frederick City Watershed and Cunningham Falls St Park, but so far no yote sign. Fox, yes.

I scouted Hugg-Thomas WMA in Carroll Co, down by Sykesville and I saw some fox scat, tons of squirrels, coon scat, TONS of deer sign--they've got food plots planted there--and there are great open fields to make crow setups. I also looked at Maring and Woodbrook WMA's and they also showed some promise. I've been meaning to check out Avalon WMA, the little one next to Westminster, but I haven't been up there yet.

You know Dorchester and Charles Co's are open for fox year round, right? After hunting gobblers last Spring in Worseter Co. with PM'er Redeyedawg, on my way back I stopped at Linkwood and LeCompte WMA's to scout around and made a stand at each but didn't do anything, just me or bad time of day, I think the WMA have a lot of promise. It was funny because just that morning while turkey hunting Dawg made one cut on his diaphragm call and a few minutes later this little red comes trotting on in to us and didn't stop until he was 15 yards away when he either figured out what we were or caught our scent.

Have you been hunting long out of Carroll Co or are you new to the predator game?

Welcome MDFox. Grew up in Montgomery Co. have hunted there, Frederick and Wash. Counties. Escaped to the Shore in '90. Now whack our share in Worcester, Somerset, and Wicomico, all at night. We have a few yotes but they are tough. Called one in while hunting a full moon and snow in'05. Got downwind and boogered, but still one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Have seen a few while turkey hunting also.

Quote:
Welcome MDFox. Grew up in Montgomery Co. have hunted there, Frederick and Wash. Counties. Escaped to the Shore in '90. Now whack our share in Worcester, Somerset, and Wicomico, all at night. We have a few yotes but they are tough. Called one in while hunting a full moon and snow in'05. Got downwind and boogered, but still one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Have seen a few while turkey hunting also.

Oh, sorry Dawg, I got that a little wrong about the roadkill one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

My money is still on you to shoot the first one over there. It'll probably be some weird deal, like you see one from your stand while deer hunting and stick him with your arrow, or something like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You got it right Java. I've heard of several roadkills and few caught by trappers. I heard howling in November while dressing in the dark for a bowhunt one morning. We have them, just not thick.

Quote:
You got it right Java. I've heard of several roadkills and few caught by trappers. I heard howling in November while dressing in the dark for a bowhunt one morning. We have them, just not thick.

You heard one from your house, eh? Veeeeeery interesting...

I pity that yote that eventually gets bold enough to have a go at that critter pen of yours, lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

No, can't hunt by my house. It was 5-8 miles from our turkey hunt. Did trap and blast a coon getting in and killing biddies last week. Lost count of how many we've gotten doing that over the years. Keep an eye out on the photo gallery for pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

javafour, i guess im kinda of new i have been hunting foxes for about 3 years now, but i really want to shoot a coyote, but to help your search for spots closer to home one of my stepdads friends shot one while he was groundhog hunting, and people have been hearing them howl in western howard county, but i dont have any place to hunt there

Not trying to hijack the thread, but you guys in western Maryland live in a gorgeous area. I always thought of Md as shore like or flat farm country until a recent trip thru the western part.

Quote:
javafour, i guess im kinda of new i have been hunting foxes for about 3 years now, but i really want to shoot a coyote, but to help your search for spots closer to home one of my stepdads friends shot one while he was groundhog hunting, and people have been hearing them howl in western howard county, but i dont have any place to hunt there

PM sent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back