25-20 WCF

claimbuster

Anyone loading the 25-20 WCF? I bought a new (old stock) Kimber of Oregon bolt action rifle in 25-20 a few years back and have not found a load that works well.

Most load data appears to be for old lever action rifles and nothing is available for a modern rifle.

I think my problem is that the Kimber wants to be loaded up to higher velocities and pressures than the old lever action data.

Comments, thoughts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

The rifle may take the extra ooomph but the brass case is going to be the weak link, it is probably not designed for any more pressure than the lever guns it was originally chambered in.
I would think manual max loads would be about as much stress as you would want to put on that case. You might want to section one and see how thick it is.

Quote:
Anyone loading the 25-20 WCF? I bought a new (old stock) Kimber of Oregon bolt action rifle in 25-20 a few years back and have not found a load that works well.

Most load data appears to be for old lever action rifles and nothing is available for a modern rifle.

I think my problem is that the Kimber wants to be loaded up to higher velocities and pressures than the old lever action data.

Comments, thoughts.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Owners of the .218 Bee in strong actions like the Ruger #1 have the same problems - all the loads are for lever guns, the whimpy assed Winchester M-43, and a slew of nameless latched break-opens.

The current 25-20 case is fully as strong as any current case and can take a max ~60,000 psi in a proper rifle.

I'm now working up high pressure loads for the .218 Bee, and it is "interesting" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif cuz there is nooooo data.

Here's some loads for you to start out with. These numbers are for a 24" bbl, and ~50,000 psi.

Keep in mind that the factory, and current loading data is for loads that are in the ~25,000 psi range, with velocities in the 1,800 to 1,900 fps range...
... cuz this cartridge has been chambered in some of the worst (read weakest) designed rifles ever made.

Necks are thin, so anneal them every so often, or you will loose cases.

Remember the one about dropping 10%... I know you know that, but my lawyer said drop 20% yadda, yadda, yadda, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

60gr bullets. Max(ish) loads

13.6 Aliant 2400 = 2800
14.0 H-110 = 2850
14.4 W296 = 2900

AA-1680 should be the ideal powder for max performance with the 25-20 and 60gr bullets in a good bolt gun or Ruger #1.

I'm now testing it with the Bee.

Take your max W296 load, and use that as a starting point with AA-1680, and start working up. Look for the usual suspects...

... as usual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Post your results.

Meow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's one that came out of an old Lyman book. 13- 4198- 70 gr cast gas check bullet(Lyman 257420). Used several thousand of them in my old M94 Marlin. Runs about 2050 in my 24" barrel. Cases are hard enough to find that I wouldn't push it any harder if I had a bolt gun.

Thanks CatShooter

I found 12.5 gr. of AA1680 and 75 gr. Speers to be the best load so far. Tonight I loaded a few with 13.0 gr. for testing this weekend.

I've threatened many times if I couldn't get this little Kimber to shoot as a 25-20 it would be transformed into a 218 HeeBee.

Only time will tell.

Quote:
Thanks CatShooter

I found 12.5 gr. of AA1680 and 75 gr. Speers to be the best load so far. Tonight I loaded a few with 13.0 gr. for testing this weekend.

I've threatened many times if I couldn't get this little Kimber to shoot as a 25-20 it would be transformed into a 218 HeeBee.

Only time will tell.

Have you ever considered the Hornady 60gr bullet.

A friend has one of the Marlin "Lever-Matics" from the late 60's in 256 Winchester (.257x357 Mag)... and it is an awesome bullet for small volume 25 cals.

He also has one of the Ruger single shot pistols in the same caliber, but doesn't take it out of the safe.

Took a new load out on Saturday. 13.2 gr. AA1680 and Speer 75's. Really looking better. No signs of excessive pressure at all. I'll try 13.7 next weekend.

Catshooter, I'll try the 60gr Hornady's next. I got a deal on the Speers and I have a bunch of them.

Quote:
Took a new load out on Saturday. 13.2 gr. AA1680 and Speer 75's. Really looking better. No signs of excessive pressure at all. I'll try 13.7 next weekend.

Catshooter, I'll try the 60gr Hornady's next. I got a deal on the Speers and I have a bunch of them.

Kewl...

Midway has 85gr plain base flat nose cast bullets 500/bx, price is very reasonable, Meister brand.

I shoot them out of my 25-204 for small game.

AWS

Quote:
anybody know where to get cast bullets for reloading?Preferably flat point

How many do you want? I've got a bunch that I'll give you a smoking deal on!

I'll send a PM.

Back