Neutral Bypass Switch ?

Ky-ote

I'm needing some help on an ATV question. I have heard that there is an aftermarket "neutral safety bypass switch" that you can install on a Honda Rancher 350 ATV so that you do not have to be in neutral for the starter to work.
The reasons I would like this is three fold.
1. If the neutral safety switch fails you could be a long walk out when there is nothing really wrong with your battery or starter. It just won't work because of the failed safety switch.
2. My Electric Shift readout seems to malfunction occasionally and not give a gear reading.
3. Sometimes with frequent stops it is just a pain to always have to shift back down to neutral to start the thing. As long as I keep my thumb of the throttle, I don't see a safety issue.

I ask the Honda Dealer and they said there are just a couple of wires that need a switch between BUT from a "Honda Dealer's Position" he could not tell me which wires or who sells the switch. I have done searches on the internet and find similar topics but no switch market dealer or the exact info as to which two wires need to be jumpered to make the bypass of the neutral safety switch.

Hope someone here can steer me in the right direction.
Thanks, Kyote>>>>>>>>>>...............

Without looking at a schematic or your vehicle (in other works I'm just making a guess!)
I'd say there is a pickup of some sort located on the transmission, possibly a magnetic switch. You could probably disconnect that switch & do what you are trying to do. I think a buddy of mine has that same ATV, I'll look at his if I get a chance & see if I can come up with something.

Good luck

Interesting.

Here they are about $150.

If you could do something that simple, it would be great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We must have the same model. I have the elec shift as well, & have to "rock" the ATV when the screen goes blank.
They told me to have the battery on a good charge & that helps as well.

Barry

rprince ,
Thanks for looking. I hope you know more about these things than me.

rockinbbar ,
Any idea where they are getting the part or who does it?

Hildago ,
Thanks for the link. I checked it out and did a search on the "neutral bypass" but didn't get any hits. They had a lot of info on the Electric Shift in the searches I did but no talk of a neutral bypass method. If I don't get the info from a member here I will join Windrock. Hate to start another forum with all the time I spend looking at things on this one. Thanks.

I took some things apart today but didnt really get much figured out.
I don't mean to sound completely ignorant but does any Honda owner on here know what the bypass switch looks like?
There is some type of sensor on the left rear of the engine where the rear driveshaft comes out. It has a black connector on top of it about as big aroung as a quarter. Looks to me to maybe be a speedo pickup. I removed this but it seemed to make no difference to the Neutral Light whether it was mounted or not.
There is also on the left side just behind the engine mount a sensor that kind of resembles a water temp sending unit on a car. It has one wire going to it with a rubber boot over the connection.
There also is a thing on the front of the engine with a metal shield over it and a grey connector with several wires going to it, this I found out is the actual electric shifting mechanism.

You can't starty it in gear just by using the clutch? kinda like a car? you know how some cars won't start unless you step on the clutch.

t/c223encore.

Quote:
You can't starty it in gear just by using the clutch? kinda like a car? you know how some cars won't start unless you step on the clutch.

t/c223encore.

It doesn't have a clutch. Electronic shifting.

Hilalgo ,

That ATV article is the kind of info I was looking for but couldn't find. I guess I had to many words in my search. I believe I was looking for a Neutral Safety Bypass Switch.

I think I will also order the Neutral Bypass Switch. From the discription it sounds to be exactly what I am looking for. Hopefully it will have some installation instructions with. Thanks to all you guys for the help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back