busy week hog hunting {long read,lots of pics}

guess

We've had a busy week. Sunday my good friend randy II joined Michelle and I for some hog hunting. Michelle was the first to get on a hog about 10 minutes into the hunt she shot him at close range with the 7mag. The Randy found a few and killed one with his 7mm-08. A little later on I found one and shot it with a 12 ga. Remington slug with my Eotech scope.
normal_Michelle_hog_7-6-08.jpg

normal_Pyle_hog_7-6-08.jpg

normal_Me_hog_7-6-08.jpg

Monday Michelle and I drove about an hour to meet with new landowner, he called and told me he had 12,000 acres that he wanted hogs and predators killed on. After a quick drive through to show us around, Michelle and I went back to a spot I thought looked good. Michelle spotted a big boar in the sand dunes and killed him with the 7mag.
normal_Michelle_river_boar_7-7-08.jpg

Wednesday Randy I and his son Ethan hunted with me. Ethan has been hunting with me since he was 7, he also wrote a essay about me being his mentor and got a $500 scholarship for it. I was quite honored and humbled by it. Anyway as we got to the place we intended to hunt we caught an awesome break, there were lots of hogs in the field. We snuck into position and steadied for the shot we discussed who would shoot which hog and counted down. The hogs were about 100 yards and on 3 Ethan and I fired, I hit my hog in the head, Ethan missed but made good on a 150 yard running shot with a 300 wsm. I picked a second hog and dropped her at 175 yards running with my .243 Icon. We loaded our hogs and continued hunting only I changed guns for brush hunting to my Remington 12 ga. with the Eotech scope. Michelle, Randy, Ethan and I all ended up on a wheat field. There were hogs in the field, Ethan was the closest of the others and he was over 300 yards away he motioned to me to go after them, I was about 200 yards away. I stalked to within 85 yards picked out the boar. He was facing me and when he put his head down I steadied the shotgun on my Bog Pod with the sight right on the crown of his head and squeezed. He dropped and the others thought it was a cool thing to watch. This is one hunt we'll remember forever.
normal_me_sow_1_7-9-08.jpg

normal_ethan_sow_7-9-08.jpg

normal_me_sow_7-9-08_runner.jpg

normal_me_randy_ethan_7-9-08_1.jpg

Slug gun hog and shot placement.The slug gun and the Eotech are a deadly combo, I've taken 3 hogs with it so far.
normal_me_slug_boar_7-9-08.jpg

normal_eothech_boar_head_shot.jpg

Looks like you boys/girl had your hands full! Keep up the killng, only a few hundred thousand more and you might put a dent in them...

Sounds like you guys had a good time. If you run out of room to store the bacon go ahead and send some this way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They're good eating up to around 200lbs or so for sows. Glenn has some recipes that he's posted before, but there are several to be found online.

Glenn! I had a an awesome time and it sounds like the pigs have gotten WAY to brazen...I need to come back asap!! I have mounted my Eotech on my slug gun and now just need to sight it in. WOOHOO! I'll be ready as soon as you are. Unless I'm working.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Glenn, the most awesome thing about this is getting to see Michelle back out and around. You guys hang on tight to each other and enjoy every single minute of life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

That's alot of pork Glenn! I enjoyed the stories and pics, but that first picture is my favorite...by far. It's good to see Michelle out and about and quite frankly, looking dang good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

You can kick my butt later for saying that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tony

Yes the hogs are very good eating. I feed 7 people daily so we eat most of the sows and some of the boars.
The bunch we killed wed. went to a needy family all except for big ham which I'm eating tonight.

Tony, If there's any butt kicking needed Michelle can take care of it just fine, trust me!

ELIP, North Central Texas about 50 miles N. of Ft.Worth. We'll be Hunting the Red River in the morning just North Of whichita falls. Close to Okie Land.

Pyledrvier, too bad you have to work in the morning.

It is the 511.A65 in realtree camo. I love it so far. The only thing I would have different is I would like for them to be 3 or 4 power for picking out a hog in thick brush.
They are good folks to deal with as well.

hey maybe you guys can give me a couple pointers I'm going on a hog hunt in southern oklahoma next month is that a good place to hunt?? I've killed alot of hogs working in a meat packing plant but in your opinion what size is the best eating size?? Taking my 25-06 and my 41 mag. Can't wait
Jeremy

Lots of hogs in most of OK now days. The best eating size are sows 60 to 120 pounds. Bigger is good but smaller is best!
good luck let us see the pics.

I grilled pork steaks on the grill yesterday. My kids love it. I little "rib rub" and bbq souce with brown sugar sure makes it good.

I need to restock my freezer before long.

Nice going on the hogs, Glenn.

Guess, me and you and Yellow need to team up sometime soon and restock yalls freezers. I shot 3 eatin pigs last week, But have yet to get a decent set of cutters. I believe we all 3 live less than 2 hours from each oter...what do ya say? Sometime after bow season prefferably.

Last edited:
Back