Deep Woods OFF

Tackdriver

Hello,
Ok, I went out to a nice little area, but I only made 2 stands to no avail. I cut the trip short and here is why. I had become the "prey" for the mosquito and tick population. On the way home I thought that I would throw a can of Deep Woods Off in my duffel to kind of alieviate this situation, but was sort of worried about the coyotes being wary to the scent of the spray. (I try to hunt with the wind, as much as possible)Of course the alternative is to let the coyote see me slapping mosquitoes and setting ticks on fire and I am sure they would react poorly to that too. What do you guys think??

------------------
Safety,Ethics, Accuracy, Velocity, Energy

I don't care much for OFF for a couple of reasons. One, it's not really all that effective. Two, if you get it on anything that it can eat, it will. Synthetic stocks, the finish on most wooden stocks, you name it. I just finished nine days in the Missouri Ozarks turkey hunting in a year when most others complained of a lot of ticks, chiggers, and no-seeums. I went tickless because of a product Permanone. I first became aquainted with this shortly after graduating college and becoming employed with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources State Parks as a State Park Naturalist. In this occupation I spent a great deal of time in the woods, all the old hands sprayed down with this stuff. Permanone is sprayed on your clothing as if you were painting them full coverage. It must sit two hours before handling the clothing, but after that it is supposed to impregnate the material and last several washings and for as long as two weeks. It also doesn't have that distinctive oder that some other DEET products have. I use it and it has worked for me for years now. The downwind side is always a problem, use terrain, cover scents, and/or a partner to help out with that side when handcalling. When e-calling your set-up crosswind eliminates the downwind hazard area, usually. IMHO, good luck.

------------------
"Doing the Right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

DO NOT, ... I repeat, DO NOT spray Permanone on your skin. Tie your pant cuffs around your shoes, and spray the pant material, or other material where ticks might get on you.

By the time a tick crawls across a few inches, I forget if it is 3 or 6, but it isn't far, they fall off dead!!!

THIS IS MEAN STUFF!!!

You cannot buy Permanone in some states, as it is banned. But it really works!

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

I lay my hunting clothes out the night before and spray them. I spray the pants up to about the bottom of the pockets in the front and all the way up in the back. The shirt gets the trunk sprayed from the bottom up about halfway and the last six inches of sleeve to the cuff. I'll leave them sit outside for a couple of three hours or so. Then bring them in for the night. By morning I feel pretty comfortable with them. However, I also carry sanitary wipes which I wash/wipe my hands off with before eating. If I remember correctly, only about 3% of users suffered a reaction from heavy skin contact with Permanone. But it does pay to be cautious.

------------------
"Doing the Right thing isn't always easy, but it's always RIGHT!"

Sorry if this is too long for the board and if so moderator's ccan deleat it and i'll email anyone wanting the info on it
Permethrin . . . What Is It?

Permethrin is a synthetic of a natural
insecticide in flowers. Its applications
include a clothing treatment to repel and
kill ticks, mosquitoes and more.

If you're not using a permethrin clothing treatment as part of your insect and tick protection
system, you're missing out on the most effective product available anywhere. It's been in use
with a perfect safety record since the 1970's and for many different uses. Some of these uses
include: You can order these products on our secure site at http://www.scs-mall.com

. A treatment for head and body lice on humans.
. Agriculture where it protects our food resouces from insect attack. . Household insect spray
where it is listed as controlling 54 different species. . Flea, tick and mosquitoe spray for
dogs and other animals. . Tick, mosquitoe and other arthropod clothing treatment for people.

WHY MUST I PUT THE PERMETHRIN ON MY CLOTHING? Permethrin was developed specifically for use on
clothing; clothing was not an afterthought. The use of clothing as the "delivery system" for
repellent is the perfect choice. The fact that the permethrin is put on clothing has more to do
with excellent performance than with any toxicity. It does have to do with the fact that our
skin deactivates permethrin so quickly that any protection offered is quickly lost.

CAN PERMETHRIN BE PUT ON SKIN? Permethrin is frequently put on skin with many OTC
Over-The-Counter products (which contain even greater concentrations than these clothing
treatments) for the purpose of killing and controlling head lice. Permethrin is not put on skin
for repellent purposes, it's put on clothing.

Permethrin as a repellent is a clothing treatment and a synthetic version of the natural
pyrethrum insecticide that protects flowers (such as the Chrysanthemum) from insect attack. The
natural insecticide is very susceptible to breakdown when exposed to ultra-violet light and
does not serve as a usable repellent because of this fast breakdown. Most credit for this
product goes to the Department of Agriculture and other research institutions where some
extraodinary people did some excellent work. Additional research added filtering and longevity
agents to protect the Permethrin from ultra-violet light breakdown.

It repels and kills insects and ticks exposed to it. In tests ticks that crossed only 10 inches
of treated fabric fell from the cloth as if repelled. Most ticks died from this limited
exposure. And mosquitoes who land on it don't fly far. The water based Permethrin repellents
can be applied to any colorfast material without damage.

Permethrin is virtually non-toxic to humans and no systemic effects have been reported. In EPA
and FDA tests it was extremly rare to even have skin reddening, or other irritation. Permethrin
is applied to clothing where it dries and bonds. Properly treated garments provide protection
for a full two weeks plus and through two detergent washings. This non-staining, odorless
chemical has exceptional resistance to degradation by sun light, heat and water. Permethrin as
a repellent should not be applied to skin . . . it will not bond to skin (stick). When placed
on skin permethrin is quickly deactivated by skin's esterase action into inactive components.
It is only effective when used as a clothing treatment.

Tests on mosquitoes conducted by the Army and Air Force showed that when lightweight battle
dress uniforms were treated until moist (approximately 4 1/2 ounces) Permethrin alone (0.5%
solution) gave 97.7% protection from mosquitoe bites and 99.9% protection when used in
combination with a deet based repellent applied to skin (20% to 35% solution). Mosquito
repellent and killing action of Permethrin treated uniforms was not diminished by five
detergent washings. Mosquitoes were also repelled from the general test location because of
what is called the side stream effect caused by multiple personnnel wearing permethrin treated
uniforms. It is humorous to some degree that the researcher noted, "This required that the test
sight be moved on several occasions to locate more mosquitoes!"

Tests with permethrin on ticks conducted in Massachusetts concluded that 100% protection was
provided against the Deer tick (Ixodes Scapularis) which is the primary vector of Lyme disease
on the East Coast and Mid-West. The same results occurred when testing the Western Black Legged
tick, Lone Star tick, American Dog tick and Brown Dog tick. Similar results have been found
with other tick species throughout the United States. It was found that ticks which traveled as
little as 10 inches on treated fabric were repelled. And in that limited time nearly all
received a sufficent exposure to permethrin to be killed.

Some publications still show permethrin products having a 3 day, 7 day or other protection
limit. Both Duranon and Permanone have a two weeks plus protection limit. Publications quoting
these lower levels of protection are using outdated information!

Other products that use citronella, hand lotion and other "essential oils" are not recommended
because, based on tests that we've reviewed, they (DON'T WORK WELL) have very little repellent
effect. Why don't they work very well after all they are registered? We're told that because
they are classified as "natural" the EPA does not hold they them to a standard. We've seen
official documents stating that the duration of protection from Skin-So-Soft was so brief that
protection only lasted from the time the it was applied to the subjects test arm until the arm
was presented to the mosquitoes in a test box, about 6 minutes.

There are ads that show two children, one with a product using deet and the other using
Skin-So-Soft. While one child continues to play without interuption the other who uses the
Skin-So-Soft is constantly interupted by mosquitoe attack. These ads comparing Skidadle
Repellent (deet based) to Skin So Soft are real, so are the stories published in national
consumers magazines and TV shows such as CNBC's Steals & Deals.

Some products work and some don't. Some manufacturers care about the health of their customers
and some only run for the almighty dollar and don't care. IF A DISEASES LIKE "DENGUE FEVER" or
"MALARIA" EXISTED IN THE US, THIS KIND OF LIEING TO THE PUBLIC THROUGH DECEPTIVE MARKETING
PRACTICES WOULD NOT TO TOLERATED.

If a product has a poor showing against mosquitoes it will perform even worse against ticks.
**** END ****

------------------
B/safe

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about spooking wildlife with spray if the encounter I had with a bobcat is any indication. I had gone fishing at one of my ponds last week and had about a half a can of Repel on when a full grown bobcat came within 50 feet of me on the down wind side. He walked right on by and never raised his head to look at me or acted like he knew I was around, just drifted off into the brush. Of course all my guns were in the truck too!

Back