Power Howler Cow Horn

BAM

Robb and Rich H and anybody else, can you tell me what you like about the Howler after you converted to a cow horn. Was there any thing you didnt like about it. I really like mine but think it could be improved in the tonal dept. Whats the chances of getting a cow horn made to work with the ELK mouth piece? Any tips on the bands? Ive read about the latex glove tip but the latex seems to be a little stiff, not as rubbery. Any ways i saw your howlers made with the cow horn and would sure like to get my hands on one!!!

Got my Higgins from the man, himself. Love the thing. I've got several other open-reed howlers and they aren't even close. The build of the cow horn really does something to any call. These things are too real, and deadly effective. Monday morning, I howled up a pack of 5 and dropped 2 of them. One of the two was downright pissed since the shot didn't kill him outright and he began just howling at me until I left my hidey hole. That coyote had been practicing 'cause he sounded JUST like my Higgins.

Oh, BTW, about the bands... I like the factory bands but they just don't have the lifespan I want. Began using strips of the same width as the factory bands cut from the ring finger of large latex exam gloves. I like the sound as much as the originals, and they last a lot longer for me. Dead coyotes can't be wrong, huh? (I've cut bands from a new brand of powderless gloves used by our local EMS people that have a textured, stippled surface in the latex and they howl good, but have this annoying sub-tone that almost resonates with the primary howling tone. Don't know if it helps or hurts, but it drives me nuts.)

The horn can be trimmed/carved to mate properly with the Mouthpiece so dont worry about that.

First thing I found is that a Longer horn isnt better. Mine is like 5-1/2 beyond the mouthpiece now. I started with 9 inches and then cut to 6.5 before it ended up the length it is now.

The band really makes alot of difference. If its too tight its squealy, too loose it sounds like a fart. It has to be just Right. JUST RIGHT.

I get much more life out of the Latex Glove too,(Middle finger for me) and I have been using the the textured, non-powdered kind with good success. Its VERY important that you cut the width just right and make a STRAIGHT cut ! or it sounds all "off". I think I cut about 10 gloves before I get a good band Im happy with.

I had made my own after seeing Rich's once and it sounded good/ok, but I was really lucky and the Rich Higgins' "SPEED SHOP" (Hot Rod reference) tuned the motor for me and gave it a few body modifications that really took it up a notch in sound and beauty.

Use your Diaphragm and your hand over the horn end to make/control the barks/yips/howls. That really helps too.

Been talking to Rich these past few weeks and that guy is a wealth of info. I agree on the bands, i will probably stick with the white ones for now.It does make some pretty awesome howls and the barks are unreal. Probably the best kept secret in howlers out there.

nd coyote go to the PM Hunt forum. Robb posted a picture of the howler I donated to the raffle. It is the ELK mouth piece mated to a horn.

Rich i use the power howler exclusively and i need one like that how much would i have to give you get one with that coyote howling on it, and how long until i could get (tornament season is upon us) send me your email and i will get back to you
ndgolferund@yahoo.com

Back