Tulip

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
Some of you guys who have pieces on order from me are going to have to put up with some experimenting on your leather! (Even if you ordered a base model sheath - - usually Kydex - - I'll probably build a leather sheath.) I've decided it's time to UP my leather game a little bit here.

Here's one I practiced a little on, just to show a finished to-order knife to the new owner...

DSC03559.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

DSC03564.jpg

DSC03565.jpg

The impression on the leather is two leaves off the Tulip Tree, which is where the wood came from! It's also scaled around and through the stitching.

It's a presentation knife specially built for a member of the fairer sex, on the occasion of her first big game hunt. The buyer has a track record of doing pre-meditated thoughtful things for people! (Why can't I remember to do stuff like that!?!?!)

It's a handmade, Provision Forge, ATS34 Stainless blade, nickle bolsters and pins, and a stainless mosaic. Tulipwood scales, stabilized in CA glue under 25 microns of vacuum. Trimmed with red carbon spacers.

The pink is darker than I planned, but the knife came out as close to perfect as I've done! I think it's just right... Feminine, but not Girly!

Thanks Guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Awesome Steve, simply awesome. You read my mind and built just what I wanted.

This knife is for my (adopted) niece, who I will be taking antelope hunting at the end of August. I can't wait to hand it to her over the still-warm body of a fat antelope doe and use it to teach her more about field dressing and meat care (her dad, my brother, has already started her down the path). I'm tearing up just thinking about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
Feminine knife? Well paint me up and call me Gertrude! I'd carry that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree! Anyone would be happy to have that. Beautiful job!

Ok, ok, so it's not... feminine. It's just... nice! You know... it's pretty... a gal wouldn't mind owning it! (I wouldn't either! You should feel it in your hand!)

No, I got impatient waiting for the proper tools, and cut them with this knife, then tapped them in with stamps I made out of a 16 penny nail and a center punch. I accented with black ink before oiling and dying the sheath.

I thought it was a cool idea, so for the most part, when I can, I'm making the sheaths and detailing them with the knives that will go in them.

I had to bring this back up the top for two reasons.

First, I wanted to show off the "Tulip" in use.
ToriAntelope5-.jpg

For the full story of the hunt alluded to in the picture above, please click this link.

Second, I wanted to show you fellas what Rainshadow has done for me and encourage you to seek him out for your own knife needs. From left to right: "Tulip" for my niece; 8-piece steak knife set for my wife (anniversary); and the cocobolo and bone handled knife he made for me last fall.
knives-.jpg

Thanks again Steve for the wonderful knives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm really happy the story on this one had such a great ending! Beginning hopefully! Thanks for being so active in helping you brother get your niece into the field! Way to go!

Back