Making 25 WSSM Brass From 300 WSM Brass

utahpredator_7

I reload like crazy for my 25 WSSM, but my dad doesn't for his 300 WSM but saves his brass. I was wondering if I could cut the 300 WSM brass back and resize it to make 25 WSSM brass. Would it work?

I think the body of the super short mag & the short mag are rather different. There is more to it than just neck differences. Maybe trade the 300 brass for something?

The brass for the 300 WSM is significantly longer than WSSM brass. I believe that when you push the shoulder back, that far, you will end up having necks that are way too thick. I encountered this, some years back, trying to make 6BR cases from 308 brass.

I have used cases from different cartridges to make another different catridge.(308 win to 300 savage and 358 win,. and 30-06 to make a bunch of others)
I am however not familiar with the ones you called out but I am sure it can be done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

We did form (.24 and .25) WSSM brass from 300 WSM prior to is common availability. We still have the dies and would consider selling them if you are interested. There are 4 form dies and 1 trim die. You will still need to cut the case first on a jewelers saw or lathe. You would also need someone to make a reamer of the appropriate diameter; these dies always left a dough-nut of thick brass at the neck to body junction. These dies will work in a 1 1/2" press. PM me and we can chat about it. There may be better designs out there by now, we had these made when the WSSM's first hit the market.
John

It's somthing you gonna have to be able to do if you wanna shoot one of Dtechs WSSM wildcats. I've often wondered how hard it would be also cause that .358 WSSM looks pretty good to me, as a all around AR15 biggame load.

WSSM brass is still avalable but it is spendy, about twenty or thirty percent more than standard chamberings. I have a 270 WSM and a 243 WSSM I had not thought about necking the WSM down to WSSM until now that is. But it seems like a loot more work than needed as yet since brass is still avalible. My big problem is my 458 Socom. Starline ran some off for it a couple months ago but it is unavalable now from any of my usual suppliers. And it cannot be made from any other common case. I was told the 404 Jeffrey could be used as a parent but it is way more than the 458 S brass from starline and requires some lathe work on the rtebated rim, as well as necking and trimming. Ahhh! the joys of semi wildcats. BTW I think the WSSM's will be in the custom wildcat catagory soon as well.

Sounds kinda complicated for right now. pcammo, pm is on its way. Never know when they'll quit making it, but the 300 WSM is popular enough to be around for quite a while. thanks.

Back