edit

Again, I love the pics Kirby.
One thing I would emphasize is that (at least in my experience) is that those yotes standing or bedded out in the open bean or alfalfa fields are the rare exception. 90% of the ones we find bedded in open areas are backed up against something, be it a terrace, fencerow, snow drift, something or anything, but rarely laying in the wide open. Reds, on the other hand, seem to prefer the wide open fields. Again, I think its because they are paranoid of yotes sneaking up on them in cover.
Kirby, does that jive with your findings as well?

BTW Kirby, about 15-20 years ago, I was traivaling through your area and saw a guy dressed in whites, parked on the side of HWY 146 south of LeGrand, with a spotter hanging out the window (an old Leupold fixed power if I remember right). It was notable because that wasnt a common sighting at the time, now I wonder if it was you? It was back before I started hunting this way, but funny how us hunters remember that kind of thing.

Kirby a lot of times out here in the prairie i don't have any cover for stalking. In this case i go straight to them trying not to bob or weave or have any exposed surface that they can alert to. I have often gotten within several hundred yds. of them this way. Here's a good story--

1 time i was out with a partner, and when we left the truck we started to top a small rise with a long very shallow valley on the far side. I glassed it and there was a coyote on the far side of the valley. We watched him for a bit and he finally laid down. My partner had never stalked a coyote in the wide open so i told him we might be able to do it if we just went straight to him. I got behind my buddy and proceeded steadily straight to the dog crouched down. We had to stop a few times, and when i do this i just sink slowly to my knees. When we got within shooting distance--maybe 250 yds. my partner went prone, and i was sitting with glasses in hand while my buddy prepped for the shot. He was very excited and wasn't sure if he could get the shot off accurately. Any way i told him that when i howled the dog would just stand up for a sec., and he could get the shot off. So i howls, and this dog stands up--but before he could get all the way up my partner shoots and nails him. Bet he'll never forget that shot.

I have a 3/4 mask made of polar fleece i made my self that i always keep in my pocket ready for a stalk.

My camo is usually old military BDU's and old quilted shirts that have a tan. or grey broken pattern i usually get at Salvation Army or yard sales. I have 1 quilted shirt that zips up and is very warm that blends perfectly into the prairie landscape.

U got me thinking about this season--can't wait.

...1 other thing i just thought of. A buddy of mine and i were out a couple years ago hunting when the wind came up suddenly and lasted the rest of the afternoon, and it was steady 20 mph. We were gonna head home, but i thought maybe we should just walk the fingers coming off of the lee side of a couple bluffs, thinking the dogs might concentrate there for holding up out of the wind--sure enuf we saw 3 dogs that afternoon in less than 1/2 mile. Sometimes the windiest days r the best times to hunt.

Back