How to train a decoy dog

ajneal30

I got my FX5 this past winter and called almost every weekend. I got a few talking but only ever saw one and never got a shot off. I was thinking of training our mongrel dog to help me. She is a lab/aussie/bordercollie/heeler mix that doesnt hesitate to take on anything. Where do I start and what do I need to train her and make sure she stays in one peice?

Some opt for the radio collar that sends out a beep then a shock, controlled by you.
If they get that enough, all they have to hear is the beep, then they will come back inside your circle.

Mine just mills around by the caller, or circles, looking for coyotes, drawing them out.
I guess he just comes by it naturally. He doesn't like staying beside me. He wants to be out there.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do a search in the predator forum for "Bubba" he's our famous resident decoy wonder dog. He's world famous. There will be lots of stuff there for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Cal has some of the best write ups on decoy dogs you will find in the Predator Extreme magazine. Very good and intresting articles.

I don't have any info to provide but I must say I really enjoy reading and looking at the posts where you guys use these dogs. I have a dog but she's an AKC Junior Hunter that's a duck/goose/pheasant golden retriever.

If I had more land to live on I would strongly consider another dog of a different breed to help me out with coyotes. There's nothing finer than hunting with a dog and they're the only partner you will ever hunt with that won't complain about anything.

Good for you guys and good luck to you in training your dog.

p.s. The stories of Bubba are absolutely unreal!!!

I find that my dog has to engage the coyote meaning she actually has to chase it then be signaled back to me. When she interacts with the coyote especially a subordinate coyote then is signaled back the coyote feels that it is winning the fight and will chase her to me. On dominate coyotes they will often take the aggresive roll and engage her. The key is having a dog that will engage and return to you when signaled. I have often had coyotes that came in when she was out hunting around and she never saw the coyote but it saw her. Subordinate coyotes will often sit and watch her or leave . I would also suggest you find someone in your area to call with. Decoy dogs are great fun to hunt with but are not the solution to not being able to call in coyotes. I still call the coyote in then let the dog work.

AJ – if you hunted nearly every weekend and didn’t fire a shot, I would give serious consideration to finding a local mentor to show you the ropes before you start bringing a dog on a stand.
As you stated the dog is “ours” so please be sure you and the rest of your family are informed of the potential danger you are exposing the dog to.

Case in point – late last October I was making a few stands with my JRT. I had the call setup 50 yards crosswind to the left of me and the dog was about 30 yards to my right.
I had three coyotes come in from the far left as I expected, but they did not check up at the call, they did not check up as they passed 15-20 yards dead down wind of me…they wanted the dog.
I jumped and fired a warning shot and the coyotes turned. I shot two as they ran off.
Point is if my dog had been behind me, or even in out of my sight, I am sure these three coyotes would have made pretty short work of him.
Be advised I am not trying to talk you out of hunting with your dog as mine loves to go and he makes me smile, but I thought you ought to know the danger.

With all that said, I would get an electric collar that has both the tone and shock feature. In a controlled environment work with your dog there.

Regards
Kelly

Good advice, Kelly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Especially if the dog is a smaller breed like Bean.

I was thinking of taking my Malamute/Wolf on stand with me to bring them in a little better as well. She definately has a mind of her own and I know there is no way I could stop her from chasing anything she wants to get at. With that said, I was going to stake her out by the call that way she cant run off. My dad said he dont think that it would be a good idea to have such a big dog as a decoy because he thinks that she would be intimidating to the coyotes. I know wolfs are above the coyote on the food chain. Not like theres many wolfs down here in the desert, but hes just pretty much saying that a coyote isn't the dumbest animal on earth and isn't going to try and tango with a 100lb dog. Although coyotes are very territorial I say they would at least maybe come to investigate. What do you guys have to say?

Back