Got Sushi? Know any Iron Chefs?

rainshadow1

Custom Call Maker
This knife was an experiment that turned out kinda good!

I'm experimenting with cold grinding industrial planer blades into knives. I used this knife to build and perfect a water bath 10" bench type grinder to do it on. It (finally) works really well! The steel is M2 High Speed Steel (HSS). Superior quality steel (very difficult to work) and it never got hot, so it's got the temper and hardness it had right off the planer.

I saw this blade style on a 'how it's made' kind of TV documentary. It's a Japanese Sushi knife. Only ground on one side. It's a full hollow grind, both the running edge and the tip, and it's wicked sharp! I was slicing a grape with it today, got several c. 1/64th slices off it. Amazing!

OAL is 11 1/2", Blade is 6 1/2", and the blade is 1 1/4" deep.

The grip is Australian Red Morrell Burl. Poly stabilized. Pinned with silver nickle. (Painstakingly bored with a freshly sharpened carbide bit!)

This knife isn't perfect, but it's really really close and it's an AWESOME performing kitchen knife!

Here's some pics...

DSC03497.jpg

DSC03499.jpg

DSC03502.jpg

DSC03505.jpg

DSC03491.jpg

Ok, here's how I want to run this thing... It's a reserve, sealed bid auction. You can post, PM, or e-mail offers all this week.

All offers considered. If you like it, or know someone you'd like to give it to, please go ahead and make ANY OFFER that you're comfortable with. PM or e-mail for privacy. I have a low limit in mind, but go ahead, because you just NEVER KNOW!

On Friday the 27th, at 5PM Pacific Time, if the highest offer is high enough, I'll sell it to you, delivered. (No sheath, wrapped up and mailed. it's a kitchen knife.)

If the highest offer isn't high enough, then I'm going to use it as a gift to a culinary friend.

Thanks Guys!

Man I always forget about this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Steve, I kinda like the looks of that knife. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif But I'm no where near a knife feller so I couldn't even begin to insult ya with an offer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Heck I couldn't even give a good guess.

None the less I like her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spelling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Hey, feel free to PM any offer you feel like. If you want it, or want to buy it for a gift for someone, just drop me a line and tell me what it's worth TO YOU. No matter how "low" you think the offer is. (That's why it's private.) You never know! I might let you buy it!

Edit: I amended the auction description accordingly.

that there is a work of art! Steve, how hard is it to resharpen?

I have admired your work for a long time, and am VERY interested.

Thanks

NM

Well, it's not difficult really, it's just ... different!

Since the cutting edge is established, it can be maintained with a steel.

You're not supposed to sharpen the bottom edge, just the top. I'd steel the top about 20 times then the bottom once or twice just to deburr it.

After a couple years it might need a careful session on a fine stone (just on top), but then the sharpening steel will maintain it again for a couple more years.

I have to change out the knives in jointers and planers. I can attest that these blades are tough as all get out. The only thing that puts a hurtin on them is a nail in the board when the cutting head is spinning a bazillion RPM's a minute. Very very sharp.

Thanks Lance. I used the existing edge on the blade to save me time, but it's a whole new edge and contour, hollow ground, a little longer (shallower angle), and then the Tanto tip. Hollow ground cuting edges onto that (see the photo essay in the Photo Gallery). Took forever! These blades are amazing steel.

Feel free to make any offers based on what it's worth TO YOU. I won't be offended, and you might be pleasantly surprised!

I got out the carbide dremel and this knife now has a maker's mark (my ST mark) and the number 7 on it. (The 7th blade I've ground.)

I've recieved 2 bids as of Wednesday Morning.

Just out of curiosity will you tell us how much you sold it for. Depending on how much it went for I might even be able to get some pics of me kicking myself for not bidding on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Just out of curiosity will you tell us how much you sold it for. Depending on how much it went for I might even be able to get some pics of me kicking myself for not bidding on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I let it go for $125 delivered.

doh.jpg

Back