Whats your favourite brass and primer???

Lenneskog

I was wondering wich is your favourite brass and primer and if you use different manufactors on brass from caliber to caliber??

Im pretty new at handloading so im just trying to get some facts collected... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

///Fredrik /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've had good luck with both Remington and Winchester bulk brass. I've been using CCI primers for lots of years, there made near where I live so I kinda like promoting the local economy. I've been stuffing cases now for near 50 years and most brass on the market seems to work well.

If your new to reloading annealing along with Lee's collet neck sizing dies is a good way to increase any brass life. Firing work hardens the necks and annealing returns them to dead soft just like a factory new case.

It's really easy, just stand your cases up in a shallow pan of water about a half inch deep. Using a propane torch heat just the necks til they turn red. Tip them over with a screwdriver (they are hot). Dry and load. I anneal about every fifth firings.

I really like Lake City brass for my 223. I get it for free and i think it is very well made. I am still fairly new to reloading and i have never loaded any premium brass so take it for what its worth. I have shot some dandy groups using that stuff. Other than Lake City i load Winchester. Lee

I like...
1 - Lapua
2 - Lake City
3 - Winchester
4 - Remington

... Fed doesn't make the list - I throw it away, or trade it.

Winchester brass, and various primers from Winchester,
Federal, Remington, and CCI. For Large Rifle, I usually
give both Winchester, or CCI, a test, for that last little
bit of consistency. For Small Rifle, Winchester, Remington
Benchrest, or CCI, get tested. For Pistol, Federal.

Squeeze

In 223-IMI, TZZI(IMI), Lapua, Win, Rem in that order
Rem 7 1/2, CCI BR-4, CCI 450

In 22/250-PMC, Win, Rem
Fed 210, Rem 9 1/2, CCI200

243- PMC, Win, Rem
CCI 200, Fed 210, Rem 9 1/2

25/06- Reformed PMC 30/06, Winchester
Win Large rifle

7/08- PMC 243, Rem
9 1/2, CCI200

308- PMC, Win, Rem
9 1/2, CCI200

270- Win, Rem
Fed 210

30/06- PMC, Win, Rem
Rem 9 1/2

7 Mag- PMC, Rem, Win
Rem 9 1/2

7 STW- Re-formed PMC 300 Weatherby mag, Win
Fed 215; Win Large rifle Mag

300 Win Mag-Win
Fed 215

Norma, Federal, and Nosler brass has soft case heads in the brass that I have fired.

I started out useing R-P brass, and CCI primers. over the years I have tried FED and Winchester brass and primers as well as Remington. In most of my handguns I use R-P brass with either CCI or Remington primers. In rifles I use Fed or Winchester in my WSM and WSSM's 243 and 270 Remington in the 30-06 and 45-70 and Starline for my new 458 Socom but Starline is it for that chambering. I have started useing Fed primers for the Rifles except the 458 S since it uses a large pistol or LPMagnum dependant on powder type.
I find that R-P seems to give the longest life but I have not really been shooting the 240 WSSM or the 270 WSM long enough to determine case life yet.

Quote:
I was wondering wich is your favourite brass and primer and if you use different manufactors on brass from caliber to caliber??

Im pretty new at handloading so im just trying to get some facts collected... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

///Fredrik /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I primarily use W-W brass. However...if I have two or more rifles of the same caliber, I'll usually use different brands of brass for each rifle in order to assure separation. As an example, I have 2 rifles in .204 that I only neck-size for. One uses W-W brass, the other Rem brass. That way I can easily keep the fired brass separated for each rifle, and I know the loads will chamber after only being neck-sized. Larger Tupperware containers definitively marked with a Sharpie pen aid in keeping things separated also.

Since I prefer CCI BR4 primers in my ARs, I have gone to them in all my rifle loads. The added cost over other primers only works out to a penny per load and it simplifies things for me.

My 204 has only seen Rem brass and I started with Rem primers but switcherd to CCI.

MY 6.5 x 55 uses Win Brass (it's all I can find locally) and Win primers.

30.06 gets Win primers, too and likes brass from nearly everyone: Win, PMC, Fed, Rem.

Last edited:
i have had pretty good luck with r-p brass and win primers across the board for my hunting guns. have noticed slightly better accuracy sometimes with federal match primers. lee

Nosler brass good stuff! winchester primers- very consistant and don't need to spend the high$ for match primers I see little benefit and actually slower FPS with match primers.

Next choice of brass is winchester.

Quote:
Nosler brass good stuff! winchester primers- very consistant and don't need to spend the high$ for match primers I see little benefit and actually slower FPS with match primers.

Next choice of brass is winchester.

Well Sir....I guess it all depends upon the individual's reasoning for using match primers. Sometimes it's more about safety than accuracy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Look here: http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html and scroll down a little to the "Components" section and read about the reasoning for using CCI BR4 primers in ARs. If you're shooting a bolt gun, then it's a moot point. But for a rifle with a free-floating firing pin that tends to dent the primers when chambering a round, it's cheap insurance. I know that slam-fires are very, very rare....but for a penny a round additional cost I'll go the safe route.

Back