walker's game ears

I have used the Walker Quad muffs for over two years. Yes, they are hot, but I have gotten used to that. I generally wear them high (off my ears) on the way to a stand; if we jump something, usually have time to pull them down before shooting. Yes, wind noise is amplified and can drown out more subtle noises. Some noises are drowned out by the wind even without muffs. If wind noise gets too distracting, I just turn volume down (or even off) on the upwind muff.

I have lost much of my hearing in the left ear and some in the right to too many years of shooting everything from .22 RF up to 81mm mortars; perhaps those bothered by the wind noise and distant traffic noises have less hearing loss than I??

The muffs allow me to hear distant howls and other soft sounds that I would not otherwise hear. Personally, I wouldn't be without them.

Regards,
hm

ETA:
Quote:
I would guess handcalling would pretty much sound like someone screaming in your ear?

Again, perhaps due to my considerable hearing loss, I have not noticed handcalls being extremely loud wearing the muffs. It is just a tad louder, but not painfully so.

Last edited:
Thanks hm1996, good info, I'm in the same boat as you on hearing, heavy mortar platoon in the early 70's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

4.2's The real mortars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
4.2's The real mortars...

I'll give you that, but bet you never fired one out of a half track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif My first job in mortar squad was half track driver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regards,
hm

Dogboy- I do have some hearing loss but only when there is background noise. If background noise is present I can't hear things around me (people talking and such). When everything is quiet i seem to hear fine.

Get on ebay. I put mine up on there a few days ago and nobody is bidding on them.

Ive got a pair of Walker II and love them! I have delt with hearing aids all my life and I really like the walkers in the woods but no where else because they really amplify to much in noisy enviroments. Now if you do go the Walker II route be sure and invest in a pair of custom ear molds, bout 70 bucks is what they cost me, the foam inserts are worhtless and irritating!

I use a set of actions Ears ,,they are great under most conditions mainly use for spring turkey ,these run about 190 Dollars now

Back