compact .22LR ????

crowpopper

was looking for a compact 22 lr for some squirrel and partrige rabbit as they open i found 2 that interest me on is a "muzzlite bullpup" stock for a ruger 10/22 which i dont own the stock makes it 26.5 inches long and is 139 for the stock alone i would have to buy a 10/22 and then i found the marlin 70PSS "papoose" it is a take down autoloade the bble comes off in seconds and that is 260 is there any others out there and also has anyone shot or own the "papoose" ? thanks for info
p.s. i just dont feel like lugging my regular .22lr with me and all my fishing gear

also i would get a pistol but dont have a permit yet not til october or nov

where can i get that? how much?

also i dont have a 10/22 are they inexpensive? i have only looked online so far havent went to the gun shop yet

My idea of a compact .22 for small game when I am scouting, the Model 17 Smith & Wesson:

dec2006096.jpg

iwish it were easy to get a pistol permit here in ny
it is hard all because of NYC people here ny and thing of newyork city not the largest national park in the lower 48 (adirondacks 6 million acres) but oh well i will get my permit in oct-nov hopefully as long as judge approves it

The 10/22 is a good gun and it is pretty compact.The good thing is if it isnt as compact as you want it to be when you first get it you can customize it to make it more compact.They have more aftermarket stuff for these guns than you can shake a stick at.And you could even make it into a 17Mach2 which is what my grandpa did to one of his 10/22s and man it is sweet.My second choice would be a Browning Semi Auto Takedown.They are really fun to shoot,a little pricey though.Other than that I dont have much experience with compact type .22s but I could give you some options.Another one you might look at is a Henry U.S Survival .22 or AR-7,never shot one but they look cool.The Marlin Papoose would probably be a better buy and its pretty much the same style of rifle,but I dont have any experience with that gun either so I dont really know.I probably wasnt much help but thats all the info I can really give you based on the guns that I have actually handled or shot.If it were me I would go with the 10/22 though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Have you looked at a CZ Scout? It's their youth model but easily handled by an adult. Well-built and very accurate.

peace.
unloaded

I believe T/C made a folding survival stock for the Contender carbine. I have the 21" 22LR carbine, not the match version, with sights and a tapered barrel. I picked it up from E. Arthur Brown Company on a special. Since there is no action on a Contender like a semi auto or bolt gun, they tend to have a very short overall length. You might be able to find a cheaper version in a Handi-rifle from New England arms also. The nice thing with the single shot rifle is that it'll accept sub sonics much easier. I keep my T/C 22LR just for that reason, CCI CB shorts are good squirrel medicine, the others just sit and watch them fall without hearing the shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

You need a pistol permit to even hunt with one in NY?

You should move to SoDak where everybody is APPROVED, unless you are a felon or convicted of mis. Domestic violence. No test, no class, just $10 for 4 years and fill out a 3x5 card. Done handled.

Shoot, you don't even need a permit to carry UN-concealed here, but you may get some looks.

I feel for ya Crowpopper, I spent two weeks in Long Island for some training. I was going stir crazy when I found a gun shop. I was browsing the counters and found a steal on a Contender pistol. The guy wouldn't open the case for me without a NY state pistol permit. I explained to him that I just wanted to verify it had a serial number and that the mechanics of the gun were still good and that I wanted to do an FFL transfer to Virginia and pay him cash on the spot. He still wouldn't open the case. I then asked if he had 25 ACP ammo, and he said that he couldn't sell it to me because it fit in a pistol and I didn't have a pistol permit. The whole time some goth looking kid is swinging around an AK right next to me and talking about using it for a deer rifle. I wouldn't last long in NY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

I just guided a friend in the purchase of a Papoose by Marlin due to the take down feature and she wanted something she could store easily in her motorhome...

Another choice, if you can find one is the Armalite Survival .22... The barrel comes off and it and the magazine store in floatable stock...something to keep in mind if you will be around water..

Charter Arms also makes one.... Here's one listed on Gunbroker .com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=102409579

Have any of you guy's had good luck with an AR-7? Both of mine would never fire more that one round at a time. There long gone now.

Crowpopper,

You should move to Arizona, No permit required, Open carry is permitted almost everywhere. Except schools, govt bldgs, and bars. Concealed permits are issued on a MUST ISSUE basis, That means if you ain't a crook, you have to be approved.

Dave

well my wife and i are looking to mov ny sucks anyway go figure it is a DEM state /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif oh well
heres what i got it shoots well can hit a quarter @ 50 yds after sighting it in
got it used with maybe 20 yds through it for workin on a buds car it only weighs 2.5 lbs and it floats it is a henry us survivor modle
30 second to assemble and disassemble
handles well also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
SANY0028-1.jpg

SANY0027-1.jpg

SANY0026-1.jpg
SANY0024-1.jpg

SANY0025-1.jpg

Henry now makes the survival rifle. I have had one made by Charter Arms for over 20 years. It is a slick little rifle and fits easily in a backpack. Comes with 8 round mag and optional 15 round magazine. I've never had a problem with mine feeding any .22 LR rounds and it is more than accurate for small game considering the rudimentary peep sight. More than a few muskrats on my pond died from that little gun. I'm taking it on my next Alaska trip to use for small game.

Back