Opinions on a 6br for varmint hunting

skeetlee

I am racking my brain as to what i want as far as a custom build rifle goes. I really like the 243AI but i need to ask myself, is this the best choice? I am also considering a 6br. I know for sure i want a 6mm chambering, but not a standard 243. Just looking for some info on a 6br. Thanks Lee

Why is there always so much stress in our lives. I am suffering with a somewhat same problem. In my opinion, either would be a good choice. I'm sure that was alot of help. The 243AI is a sexy looking cartrige and a great performer, but the 6br has always been a great want of mine and hope to have one someday. Good luck on your choice, sorry I'm no help.

Pysco-dog

I just wish for once I could experience the same stress.
"Could someone please help me spend all my money, I've only bought 99 guns this year and I want to hit an even 100" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have 2 6br rifles. One is an 11 pound single shot that's great for PD's and I've killed more that a few coyotes with it. I've had "porky" since 1997 and it was built by Darrel Holland. Last November I picked up #2 6 br built by Dan Carey. #2 is about 7 pounds and a repeater. The 6br is not a great cartridge when feeding out of the magazine. Being short and fat it doesn't always come out of the magazine lined up properly to go in the chamber. If you want a 6br for PD's or groundhogs GO FOR IT!! For a calling rifle #2 will reliably only feed one round out of the magazine. I don't care about #2 being a 2 shooter, I can live with that. I love the 6br. Both of mine shoot better than I can hold them.

Last edited:
The 260 will be here tomarrow. I have been planning a 6mm build for some time now. The 260 rem 700vs rifle was one of those things that i just couldnt pass up! It should be a shooter and a lot of fun. I am just entreegged (sp) by a accurate 6mm, i just dont know what one.
I had planned on the 260 being the last rifle for this year, but you all know how that goes! I dont think i will be content until the 6mm project is in motion. Thanks Lee

I bought a 40X 6BR last year that I seen on Gun Broker. It came with everything including loaded rounds and brass (Lapua), Wilson hand dies and Redding comp dies. The guy who had it couldn't figure out why his reloads wouldn't fit into the chamber. It didn't appear as though it had been fired much at all.
After I got it, I ordered a 6mm neck turning tool (tight neck .262) and it runs and shoots great.
This is an honest .2-.3 shooter with varmint bullets, all for $1200

Lee, on a 26-27" 6 BR with a 14 twist, you can shoot the 60's at 3700 fps with H335 with accuracy in the 2's or smaller.

With the 65's, velocity drops to the 3550-3600 area with h335 and/or aa2230.

70's are in the 3400-3500 area with AA2230 or H335.

To get these speeds, you need a short leade and a tight throat. If you shoot short bullets in a chamber that is throated for long bullets, subtract 100+ fps minimum.

Other powders get much less velocity than this, and heavy bullets in this caliber do not expand much on varmints but are great on targets.

Lee,

I went through this a few years back...6mm something, I need
one! I never considered the 243 Win, mainly because I read
reports of mediocre accuracy in some rifles, and they were
as common as flies(Flame suit on!). So I put the 6x45, the
6x47, the 6XC, the 6 BR, the 6 PPC, and the 6mm Rem/6mm Rem
AI, all on the list. The 6x45, and the 6x47, quickly
dropped off the list, when looking at velocities of my
chosen bullet weight range. And for this project I wanted
Max. Red Mist. Then the 6 PPC dropped off due to odd bolt
head size, and case forming/cost. At the time I was hanging
out on some forums, with rabid 6mm Rem. fans, and that may
have clouded my objectivity /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So after thinking over
the case forming, neck turning, special dies, and all of the
other fooling around, that would go into the 6XC, and the
6 BR, and to even some extent, the 6mm Rem AI, I opted to
go with the 6mm Rem. I ordered the custom barrel, for a
Savage 16 action, and installed it myself, to learn about
barrel swapping, on Savage rifles...I love that ugly barrel
nut! I strapped on a Bushnell 4200 Elite, 6-24x, and
put a target stock under the Savage action, and my face
still hurts from grinning at the first groups out of that
rifle. The only down side of this project is I have a
good shooting Savage SS barrel, in 22-250 Rem. sitting in
a box, in my shop, somewhere that will never see that
action again...Cause this rifle will always be a 6mm Rem.
Now I understand why those rabid 6mm Rem. fans were so
fanatic. From Pronghorns, to Prairie Dogs, to Paper targets,
they are all going to have a bad day, when I have that
6mm Rem. rifle in my hands. And it gives new meaning to
Red Mist, when it spits 65 gr. VMax bullets./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Squeeze

Skeet

I just built a 6BR on a Savage platform. It has an 8 twist McGowen barrel. I bought an 8-32X Bushnell off this site. I have the loads tuned now and I absolutely love this rifle/caliber.

I just picked up another Savage action and I'm thinking either going with a 30BR or building a walking varminter in 6BR.

6BR Baby!

Last edited:
Quote:
I bought a 40X 6BR last year that I seen on Gun Broker. It came with everything including loaded rounds and brass (Lapua), Wilson hand dies and Redding comp dies. The guy who had it couldn't figure out why his reloads wouldn't fit into the chamber. It didn't appear as though it had been fired much at all.
After I got it, I ordered a 6mm neck turning tool (tight neck .262) and it runs and shoots great.
This is an honest .2-.3 shooter with varmint bullets, all for $1200

Same thing happened to me - I bought a NIB, never fired, scope never mounted, 40-XBBR for $700, cuz the guy couldn't get the bullets in the chamber, and the dealer (a living room gun dealer) wouldn't take it back - then I sold the Benchrest stock for top dollar, and bought a laminated field stock off of ebay. So far I'm into it for ~$500-ish

The gun shoots in the 2's

The popularity of the 6BR must be way up, we are loading several hundred rounds per week in all kinds of neck diameters.
John

Don't the 6mm wildcats have the same recoil as a .243? We took one .243 on our recent prairie dog shoot but it didn't see that much action. Loaded with 55g Blitzkings and a pretty warm load of W 760, it was just too much gun for the kind of shooting we were doing. I just can't stay in the scope well enough to see the hits. You're buddies spotting for you get quite a show but I like seeing the hits. Now, I realize you said "Varmint", and I equate that with prairie dogs. I don't know didley about shooting ground hogs. Just my $.02

The 6br is hard to beat. There are surely flatter, more spectacular chambering but I can't think of any that are more fun or accurate.

My 6br with a 26" barrel duplicates velocities of my .243 Mtn Rifle (22" barrel). This yields great results on varmints (the v-max line is unreal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). All with a mild recoil & report that makes shooting easier & less expensive (from reloading to barrel replacement).

I would hate to be without my 6Rem, but I will ALWAYS have at least 1 6br in the bat cave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Everyone should give one a try.

(clouding waters) The 6x47L looks neat too, that may be my next build…

I've had both, and liked both. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the 6BR because its a lot less trouble in the begining. Fireforming for the .243AI was a bit too much trouble for me.JMO
Jazzball

Back