Best powder and bullet for .22 hornet???

I shot the 40g Speer Sp with 12.0g+ of little gun. Speed was great and accuracy was less than an inch at 100 out of my ruger.

This bullet will still punch through a shoulder and give deeper penetration on quartering shots, and at the same time does not blow foxes to pieces.

The really nice thing about the 40g Speer Sp is that you could seat the bullet to touch the lands and still use the Ruger magazine.

In another rifle, a Ruger #3, I shot 12.0g of 296 with a 50g Nosler Ballistic tip, which shot a single ragged hole at 100 yards...should have never sold that rifle!

Phil, the 17/22H is called the 17 Ackley Hornet. You get more range out of it than the standard 22 Hornet. Shots at 200 yards on crows, ground squirrels, p. dogs are easy as long as the wind is not howling.

I have shot p.dogs out to 325 yards on a calm day with the 17 Ackley Hornet using a 23 1/2g low drag bullet at 3550 fps.

Phil h

Yeseterday I was doing some load testing with five different powder charges in my 17 Ackley Hornet. At 100 yards with around 10mph plus wind there wasn't much effect from the wind. Shot five groups, three of the five were well under 1/2"MOA, the other two were still at or less than 3/4". When shooting at 200 or more yards that kind of wind does walk it sideways just a bit. The 17 AH is extremely accurate and I have seen groundhogs die at 300+yds. Just can't do that with a standard 22 Hornet, at least I can't. But I would not trade my 22 Hornet for anything, it has it's place as well.

Best powder I have found for the Hornet, by far, is Lilgun.

Best bullet I have found for coyotes, by far,is the Barnes 45gr XLC.

For coyotes,I have used 40gr Vmax and Nosler Btips, 45gr softpoints, both Hornet specific and others, and 50gr sftpts. The Barnes XLC's seem to hit coyotes much harder. The Barnes TSX should do the same.

My coyote load is 13.0gr Lilgun, 45gr Barnes XLC, a small pistol primer, and I use a Lee Collet Die to neck size. I get just over 2,900fps with this load, and it shoots very well.

Remember that with the small case of the Hornet, small powder changes, like 0.1grs, can add up quickly.

Back