Best powder and bullet for .22 hornet???

kellen23

Hey guys I was reading through your posts on helping guys new to reloading, thanks for all the info about safe operations on how to reload. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Anyways I was wondering what would be the best powder and what grain of bullet to use on a .22 Hornet for coyotes?? Thanks

I bet you are going to find that 13.0 Grains Hodgon Lil -Gun and Serria 45 Grain soft points ''Hornet Bullets'' are the way to go.

My dad and I cut a 45 Grain ballastic tip and 40 Grain hornet bullet in half and we found that Hornet Bullets have a thinner jacket and sounds like they expand better at Hornet velocities 2500 fps to 2900 FPS

There is a great post on this subject in late May or Early June use the Search tab Great info. I'm new to the hornet myself but i am loading what the guys suggested on that post.

I have found that 13.0 grains of Lil Gun and a 40gr V-Max shoots real good in my Savage M40. My buddy shoots the exact same load in his Savage M40 as well, with equal or slightly better accuracy. I ran a dozen or so across the chronograph for an average of 3,029 FPS. Not to bad for a puny little old .22 Hornet. I think that'll work on Mr. Yote just fine.

With a Hornet I would suggest a 45 grain SP over any powder that kicks it along at about 25 to 26 hundred FPS.

I use 11.4 grains of h4227. I would like to try varget or lilgun sometime just have a bunch of 4227 around.

Kellen23

I noticed cowboy told you to get 45 grain "hornet" bullets. Be advised some are .223" and some are .224" diameter. You probably want the 224 variety, and I agree, LIL Gun powder works well in my NEF single shot.

Dave

I never used them as I dumped my Hornet before they were available, but a couple of my friends got good accuracy out of the 35 grain VMax in them. One shot a Savage 340 and the other a Browning low wall replica. With the right atmospheric conditions, the Browning could put 3 shots under 3/4" at 100 yards pretty consistently with the bullet.

Depending on what rifle you are shooting you may have a length issue with some bullets and while accuracy may be good with some of the V-maxs or BTs they are designed for higher velocity than you can get with a hornet. In my experience the 35 grain V MAX will give good accuracy but it loses velocity quickly because of it's shape. My favorite bullet at this time is the Sierra 40 grain hornet. Lil Gun powder works good with the heavier bullets and H110 works with the light bullets. You will find that one or two tenths of a grain of powder will have an effect on accuracy and pressure so have caution. I have used 13.2 grains of Lil Gun with the 40 grain with good accuracy. Watch the hornet, it's addictive.

Pretty safe in starting with Lil Gun; however, bullet choice is something only your rifle can help you with. In my experience my Hornets have always been the "pickiest" on bullets. Bum a few bullets from friends, buy a few and spend some time working on a load. When you find it, it will be worthwhile.

Good luck!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

My 219 likes Lil'gun and the Win 46gr HP, haven't used it for coyotes YET. Will pack it a couple times this coming season I have alot of confidence in it.

AWS

I love all this Hornet talk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifYeee-hah

He is right about being careful, the Hornet is addicitve. I've had up to three at one time. Down to only two now. A Browning Micro Hunter A Bolt in 22 Hornet, and a Browning Micro Hunter A Bolt in 17 Ackley Hornet.

i am shooting 13 gr of lil gun under a 40gr sierra soft point "hornet" bullet in my ruger 77/22h. don't have any chrono figures yet, but its been shooting around MOA for me at 100 yds. . . when i do my part, lol

Quote:
I love all this Hornet talk, the Hornet is addictive.

Altered the quote, but Amen, Amen!

Love my Hornets, 2-22H, 1-22K, 2-19 (Calhoon) Hornets, 2-17AH. When I can, I buy Hornet brass by the box car load.
Even considering having Jerry Russell / Leroy Barry make up a special 22 Hornet for me for delivery in the fall.

They are nothing fancy or flashy....just fun.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Great info I got right here on these forums a few months ago and my Ruger 77/22 hornet loves Lil Gun 13.0 with either 35 grain V-Max BT or both 40 grain ballistic tips by either Nosler or Hornady.

I have taken heed and just ordered a neck sizer to gain a little more accuracy possibly and to extend brass life. Have fun, I know I am addicted in a bad way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back