Centering crosshairs with mirror?

Frank44

I read a post a while back that mentioned centering the crosshairs using s mirror. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Could anyone give me the details on how to do it? The method that I use with V notches in a box works, but is a real pain in the donkey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Thanks

Yep, Place a mirror against the objective lens, now look into the scope thru the ocular lens. You should be able to see the cross hairs and a faint set of additional cross hairs. Adjust the scope until the two sets become one, now your all lined up and ready for a new zero.

OK and I was happy counting Clicks
BUT what if
when the reticles are centered in the mirror,
one of the two axis has run out of adjustment--no clicks left?

Quote:
BUT what if

Then I would say, you need to replace or repair the scope.

Quote:
Quote:
BUT what if

Then I would say, you need to replace or repair the scope.

10-4 on that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks Guys---I was afraid you guys would say that.

I hate to replace it since it's an old long tube 6x scope that was handed down to me through my wife's side of the family 25 years ago; and it was an old scope then. It's seen a lot of Jackrabbits and PicketPins (squirrels) from the on top of my Weatherby 22. The only writting on the scope says "Texas Sniper 6x"

This thread and post is another example that until your actually changing something, the details don't mean a lot.
I had decided to change scope rings on this rifle because the last time I took the rifle to the range I discovered I had no adjustment left on the scope in one direction. So I figured some new Millet adjustable windage 22 rings would be just the thing to bring the scope back to center. But without trying to center the scope with a mirror, I probably wouldn't have found that the problem is deeper.

Bigdog, ya might give Leupold or Premier Reticles a call, they may be able to help you or know of someone that can get that thing rebuilt.

It really is not hard to repair scopes yourself, especially fixed power scopes. They are pretty simple and only a few things can go wrong. Usually a spring or a dirty lens is all that needs fixed. Variables are more complicated but still within the capability of natural mechanics.

I have done many and fogging is not a problem as long as you reassemble the scope in low humidity conditions. A heated or air conditioned environment in the East will work and most any day will work in the desert West.

Jack

What kind of rings do you have now? I think that centering the reticle, using the millet rings and a bore sighter you can get that scope functional again. Of course it might not and you are out the cost of the Millet rings.

Back