Play Day

alf

Since getting into AR's, one of my favorite things to do is bang a little steel while practicing different positions.

My one spot lets me shoot south to north in a little valley, and I can tuck under a big tree for shade.

I scrounged up some t-posts, then bought 4 AR-500 brackets that slide on the top of the posts, and the steel hangs on the hook in one of the 5/8ths holes.

I can't quite get to 400, but ended up setting the posts at 100, 200, 300, and 375.

The 100 yard 8" round steel is right off the muzzle, the 200 8" round target is half way to the cow, the 300 12" square is right over the cow's back,
and the 375 12" square is further left on the little rise at the edge of the woods.

iPyv7TS.jpg

Luckily I was done shooting when the cattle decided to flood the area. I also share the spot with 6 horses and 3 or 4 donkeys.

I was shooting my bone stock Ruger MPR, with a Sightron 3-16x42 on top. I killed 15 or so coyotes with it this past year,
but now it getting regulated to 4th place in the line up.

53 V-Max at 3200 shoots pretty dam good for a stock gun.

I started out shooting off a bipod on the top of the box on my Honda Foreman. Load the mag with five rounds, & one shot each at 1, 2, & 3, then 2 at 375.

Then went prone off the bipod with 5 shots.

Then five more standing, shooting off the tripod.

The 5 sitting on a stool, shooting off the tripod.

And last round of 5, sitting on the ground in my stadium chair, shooting off the tripod again.

So, the tally was five rounds on each target at 1, 2, & 3, and 10 on the 375 target.

Aftermath left to right:

yqzGk3j.jpg

Looks like a good set up Alf. Luckily I have a couple places I can shoot up to 1250 within a couple miles from my house. Nothing better than shooting steel.

Today's spot is 5 miles from the house.

My long range spot is only 3 miles. I've went as far as 1925 there.

X4NYPDb.jpg

Here's looking back the other direction.

I'm at the far treeline shooting over the power lines:

6Wv4zFD.jpg

Great shooting, looks like a great time!

On a different note, the last picture deeply concerns me Al. I can respect a guy for utilizing a pi$$ jug in certain circumstances but you really should try to hydrate better buddy, I dont want you to be a heat causality out there!

OUTSTANDING!! I've never seen a person that can pee the rainbow coalition, thats very diverse of you Al! I'll forward pics of your abilities to the snowflake groups, with that ability your bound to get a front row at the next march!

Nice use of the wind flags buddy and the colored jugs, I've never tried that but at distance I bet it looks pretty cool.

Kino,

The long range picture was shooting south to north. It was always such a PITA to set stuff up to shoot that far, so now I've sold off the last of the guns suitable for a mile plus.

Much easier to shoot my regular spot that's actually in the same bottom, shooting perpendicular to the mile+ direction. West to east shooting up the hill, I can get 1000 to 1100 or so in the spring before green up. 950 or so with taller grass. Milk jugs are my favorite targets. String them out from 500 to 1100 and have at it. The tree at the top is exactly 1200. This day I put out 4 steel targets also.

1YWlZDE.jpg

8rCfbYX.jpg

If I move to the right tree on the fence line, and shoot the other direction up in the field behind me in that pic, I can do 1450.

Some dead jugs in this pic:

ubK18r2.jpg

Back