ATN Clip on

If you watch PM and other hunting sites, you are probably aware ATN doesn't have the best reputation for their high return rates as well as issues with Customer Service. I would say that is probably strike one.

On top of this, the LT line has the worst specs of their entire product line up. In any kind of humidity, you are going to really, really struggle, so I would call that strike two.

Then on top of this, it is a clip on. I personally am not fond of any type of clip on even ones that are good buys for the money like the Super Yoter - C (not yet released) and Hogster - C, so I would call that strike three. I know some people love clip ons and that is OK, but you add weight, and a lot of expense with no real additional benefit besides keeping your day scope on the same gun. Night Goggles sells more than 200 to 1 Hogsters vs Hogster clip ons as an example.

I am not trying to be mean, but this would not be anything that I would ever recommend or consider. It appears it is going to be in the low to mid $2K range. Get a Hogster - R 25 or 35 if you need to be in the price category.

Excuse me Korey. Maybe my smartphone's automatic translator didn't translate well, or I misunderstood myself .... Did you write that Nigth Goggles sells, on average, 200 Hogster riflescopes against just one Hogster-C clip-on? If that's right ... then maybe the clip-on isn't much loved by American night hunters. But for what reason? With the same pixel sensor, does the clip-on look much worse than a thermal riflescope? But it seems to me (maybe I don't remember well) that some time ago you asked Bering Optics for advice ... and they would have recommended the thermal clip-on for long distance shots ....

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Excuse me Korey. Maybe my smartphone's automatic translator didn't translate well, or I misunderstood myself .... Did you write that Nigth Goggles sells, on average, 200 Hogster riflescopes against just one Hogster-C clip-on? If that's right ... then maybe the clip-on isn't much loved by American night hunters. But for what reason? With the same pixel sensor, does the clip-on look much worse than a thermal riflescope? But it seems to me (maybe I don't remember well) that some time ago you asked Bering Optics for advice ... and they would have recommended the thermal clip-on for long distance shots .... I might be estimating even low on the 200 to 1. We don't sell many clip ons. They are more expensive and add a lot of weight to the gun because you have two optics. In the versions I have tested, I feel the image quality was better with the stand alone weapon version vs a Clip On at similar FOV and magnification. This is my opinion and only an opinion. I believe the guys at Outdoor Legacy on their podcast also stated 100 to 1 for their ratio on Hogster-R in comparison to Hogster-C.

There are people who really like clip ons and Bering must sell quite a few or they wouldn't produce them. Yes, you are correct when I contacted Bering and said for long range work, what would provide the best option and they said clip-on. I have spent a limited amount of time behind clip ons. I zeroed the Hogster C, and then Zeroed and went on one hunt with the Yoter C. After sending both units back, I was very glad to go back to a dedicated stand alone scope. This seems silly but the controls are a long ways away from the hunter as well.

Thanks Korey for the very precise answer. I have finally given up on buying the top of the range Pulsar Clip-on Krypton XG50 (which theoretically has exceptional performance and features). At this point I have only 2 options left: Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50 vs Trail 2 XQ50 lrf

Lately I have interpretation problems caused by my automatic translator ...
"Strike one" is translated (I think very badly) in Italian ... "sciopero" ... that is, the action, promoted by a trade union, of voluntary absence from work to protest against a government measure deemed contrary to the interests of the workers.
I think instead that, with the term "strike one" you obviously wanted to mean a whole other meaning ...

Last edited:
Ernest, sometimes we forget that everyone isn't an American and versed in our thought processes. In our American game of baseball, you get three swings at the ball called "strikes" hence three strikes and you're out. Actually there is a lot more to the game, but that is the simple explanation of why Korey used the wording strike one, strike two, and strike three.

Double is correct. You could think of it as Reason 1, Reason 2, and Reason 3. With.3 reasons or explanations, many people will probably consider other options. Sorry for my American slang.

Thanks guys ... you are always very kind, understanding and patient with me ... I promise you that, in the next life, I will be born in America ...
Returning seriously to the subject of this post, I discovered that there is no import of the Pulsar FXG50 clip-on in the US. In fact, it does not appear on the official American Pulsar website (www.pulsar-nv.com/us). Instead it is visible on the global site (www.pulsar-nv.com/glo) and also on the Italian site (www.pulsar-nv.com/ita). The Pulsar FXG50 clip-on has, on paper, exceptional features:
1) 640x480 @ 12 µm (VOx) sensor;
2) Lens F50/1.2;
3) FOV 8.7°x6.5°
4) 1746x1000 amoled display;
5) Magnification of the lens riflescope to which can be attached 1.5-6X;
6) Magnification with the 5X Monocular Observation Accessory.
What do you guys think of this device?

https://www.pulsar-nv.com/glo/products/33/thermal-imaging-attachments/krypton/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpSeems like I remember reading somewhere that clip-ons seem to be way more popular in Europe than the US.

Well that goes to figure, they don't have Coyotes in Europe...
smile.gif

Back