My Stock Duplicator

This is not a firearm, but I would like to share my stock duplicating machine build. This has been a long term project, several years. It is actually my third duplicating machine. I made a thumbhole stock for my HK 630 with the second one. The second one rotated the original stock and one being made by three sprockets and a #20 chain. It worked, but it had backlash in it if the pieces were rotated backwards. In this version I replaced the sprockets and chain with five 2.5" 60 tooth robot gears, staggered to make 9" center to center. It is mostly made with .5" and .375" aluminum plate purchased from a salvage yard for $1.00 per pound. It is setup on a two foot wide by six foot long table and it is heavy. I recently finished it and have made a walnut stock for my Ruger American Rimfire in .17HMR, which I will show in a separate post. Please pay no attention to the clutter of tools on the table.

48028330463_6f2e3a6c88_d.jpg

I'm using a cheap Menards router. The styluses and router are 9" ctc. I use mostly regular router bits.

48028330373_d2a44675e3_d.jpg

Its set up on linear rails and bearings. In this picture I show one of the brakes which are always closed until I squeeze the handle.

48028295371_86b06bfbb4_b_d.jpg

The brake handle. When squeezed both brakes are released.

48028295176_96b2da32a5_b_d.jpg

The turning mechanism. Again 9" ctc.

48028330603_026c07a10d_b_d.jpg

Beginning to cut my first stock for a Ruger American Rimfire in .17HMR. The walnut is 10 year old airdried from CA, 2.5" thick, 32" long.

Last edited:
Being an old retired fabricator, I can appreciate the hard work that went into building your machine. Looks good and would like to see the finished stock.

Being a middle aged maintenance guy in a large cabinet plant, I can appreciate your hard work also. Takes quite a bit of planning to make that come together in the end.

Man! Way above my capabilities! I'm impressed with myself when it only takes me two tries to figure out which end of a combination wrench to use!

Back