Calling rifle and caliber

BangFlop

Hello

I would like your opinion on a calling rifle (make and model) for WI coyote hunting? Shots will be under 200 yards as most of my hunting is done at night in the snow. I do not reload so wildcats are not an option. I am not looking for the cheapest, but do not need a $3000 custom rifle either.

Thank you,
Steve

I have been very happy with a Tikka T3X Superlite .22-250 at 5.9 lbs and fluted stainless barrel. 1 in guarantee and it shot that at first sight in. I immediately dropped coyotes out to 355 yds.
I traded a shotgun but the price was $679. These are a Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabela's exclusive. The standard lite model is readily available. These are often compared with higher end rifles.
A step up is a Sako Carbonlight .22-250 at 5 lbs, carbon stock, controlled round feed, 3 position safety, fluted stainless barrel, 5 shot 1 inch guarantee. Currently on sale in the .22-250 cal. for $1700.

TC compass in .223, pickup a couple boxes of Blackhills 52 gr hp. Put most of your money into optics(can't shoot if you can't see the coyote).

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerRuger or Savage 22-250 or .223 if you're saving fur. If not either a Savage or Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor.
.. +1 ..
or 243 RAP if ammo availability is a concern.
I'd put more $$ in glass than the gun, fwiw..

I agree with the.223 at that range and at night. Low recoil to be able to watch your shots through scope. Tikka T3x lite or Savage 10 predator hunter advantage max would be my choice. Don’t ever think you don’t need a custom built, it will be your most favorite investment you will ever make.

My vote is for a Savage Axis or Trophy hunter in 223 or 22-250 or a Ruger American in those same calibers. If you want to bump it up a little get one of those same rifles in 243.

I picked up a used Stainless T3 in 243 for $435 at a local pawn shop. It shoots little bitty groups and is a pleasure to carry. It will be my do all rifle this season. Also adjusted the factory trigger down to 1 1/2 pounds and it breaks like a glass rod.

Appreciate the replies, keep them coming. More specific the better! Torn between 223 and 22-250 I think. Does a 22-250 with a 22” barrel even make sense as I see most companies don’t offer longer barrels unless classified as “Varmint” and then they are over 8.5#.

Thanks

Ive got 2 .22-250s.
One is a 26" Mcgowen 9 twist on a Remington 700.
The other is a 22" Savage 12 Twist, Its a factory model 12 barrel on a model 11 action and shoots 53gr Nosler Varmageddons very well with CFE223. The groups settled down around 3700-3725fps.

The 26" i used for Fclass and Deer hunting on the farm. Its not threaded so it doesn't get shot much.

Only 223 bolt action is a Stevens 200 that has killed a many coyotes and other critters on the farm.

It might be a hard choice but its hard to beat the .22-250.

Bolt gun? For coyotes? Any 22-250 sporter weight..I wont have anything but a 24" barrel (just me, hate 22" barrels, and dont want a heavy varmint 26" anything for calling). 200 yards and under you say.. it will be a hammer. It will handily take care of those pesky fox and cats too. You will have no problem watching your hits thru the scope..its just a non factor really imo.

Id personally look for an older Remington bdl or adl in good shape, and get pretty good glass as well. Its also an easy base to build on.

Mark

Originally Posted By: BangFlopAppreciate the replies, keep them coming. More specific the better! Torn between 223 and 22-250 I think. Does a 22-250 with a 22” barrel even make sense as I see most companies don’t offer longer barrels unless classified as “Varmint” and then they are over 8.5#.

Thanks

All of my .22-250 rifles are or have been factory 22" or less. With modern powders or blends the speed is plenty good to take coyotes to a range beyond my normal ability.
I have recently chronographed 50 gr factory loads out of my 22" Tikka at high of 3816 fps and 3685 fps avg for another load.
Hotter factory loads are available in 50 gr at 4000 fps rating and 35 gr loads about 4400 fps.
Under 200 yds a .223 will do the job and I will never be without one for some reason. Really though I seldom use it because I often have more spinners and runners even at close distances. If one holds up or gets to 300 plus yds the 250 has the flat trajectory and horsepower to stop their clock.
My personal limit has remained at 400 or so yds for coyotes but have shot 12x12" steel at 600 yds which I feel is the game killing energy limit for this round and wind can become a huge issue at that range.

I get 3,600fps with 55grn bullets and 3,750fps with 50grn bullets out of my 22" barrel Stevens 200. Coyotes don't take a step when hit behind the shoulder.

I forget to say the difference between a 22 7/16 tikka barrel and a 24" Tikka barrel is minimal in the real world.
A couple years ago a friend brought along an older 24" one to check sight in and we had the chrono set up.
There was only 60 fps difference using factory ammo.

Its not the loss of performance that makes me hate 22 inch barrels...I mean its negligable..its the look and feel. I just can't stand it.
Mark

All suggestions are good. If you know you aren’t shooting over 200, to me, there is no need for 40.0 gr or powder being burnt to get a bullet going 3700fps. .22-250 is a great rifle for me out in the Sandhills of Nebraska, but for 200yds and in .223 or even .222 or .221 Fireball would be perfect. Don’t sleep on the .204 either. It’s a fantastic coyote round with 32 or Bette yet 40 gr bullets. It’s up to you but 200 yds isn’t far and although coyotes are tough, good shot placement trumps everything.

Personally I love my CZ527 Varmints. I have one in .17 Remington and another in .223, I also have a 550 in .22/250. All drive racks and the .223 is actually chambered in 5.56 so cheap 5.56 ammo can be shot out of it and it’s a 1:9 twist so anything up to 70gr.

Otherwise TC Venture in .204, .223 or .22-250 are nice mid range rifles.

Last edited:
I really don't know how many rifles I have. From a chipmunk and old model 96 22 mag, to some $5500 customs by Beanland and Kampfeld. Too many really.

What I do know is that the last two rifles I'd ever part with are my chipmunk (obvious sentimental reasons) and a CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar in 223 that I chopped to 18".

Back