animal book

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnshootist

I picked up an animal book that I thought my little grand daughter might like. I was looking through it and reading some stuff.
Turns out there is a lot of things described I didn't know.
For example
I didn't know whales once lived on land but due to food shortage or maybe predators they took to the water where they evolved.
"During the course of evolution some major rearranging was accomplished in the nasal tract of the cetaceans. The nostrils have been moved from the snout to the apex of the head forming a single blowhole in toothed whales"
It goes on to say how they lost their feet and evolved fins.
Very interesting stuff.
Got me to thinking that for the first few million years when they still had little feet and their nostrils where only halfway up their head living in the ocean must have been tough.
Lots more educational stuff yet to read.

Everyone knows that. It was the theory of evolution. Too bad the definition of a theory is a plausible explanation of supposed facts. I have a theory about the de-evolution of man. I call it devolution, where man thinks that he is God to the point of returning to the stone age.

tn,
do you remember what Tbone and I were talking about a few days ago?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
I guess we should never tell kids ghost stories either.

Tbone,
I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, but on the slim chance that you are serious I gotta disagree.
I think children should be exposed to all kinds of fables, fantasies, and fairy tales.
Like the gods of Greek and Norse mythology-Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Odin, Thor, and countless other stories about Cyclops, Perseus, Minotaurs, and others too numerous to try and list.

If they are familiar with the beliefs and myths of other civilizations, they will be better prepared when they get old enough to make their own decisions.

Then they will be able to decide if they want to give more, or less, or no credibility to the ghost stories they heard in church on Sundays.

If you would add your new little book to some books on the Greek gods and mythology in my post, your little granddaughter would be much better informed when she gets old enough to make her own decisions.

thumbup1.gif

What about Santa Clause and the tooth fairy? The idea that someone just takes it upon himself to sneak into countless homes in the middle of the night. That he is watching you like some stalker, waiting to catch you doing bad and he even knows when you are sleeping and he knows when your awake. "You better be good for goodness sake!" With good intentions so many in our culture feed this load of crap to our children and then give them the good ol bait and switch, distraction with the promise of gifts. Never mind that it positively reenforces that white lies are ok to tell other people.

The point being is that kids are smart, they even play along with the whole farce as they age and learn it's all a lie, yet because they are still getting gifts or set back in amusement as their younger siblings still fall for what they now know to be a lie. We can guide our children and raise them with morals, values, religion or lack there of, but at the end of the day you have to step back and realize that they and they alone will live their own lives and choose the path they take. It takes a lot to brainwash a person and it is usually in the form of "breaking their spirit" for lack of better words.

I'm all about open minded creative thoughts, our imaginations allow us to checkout, into and thru limitless realities while our bodies are stuck to the hard earth by the reality of gravity. I think our imaginations are a gift to mankind and as such someone or thing blessed us with it. It is encoded in our nature dating back to prehistoric man that humans have always had beliefs and had rituals of worship to God like creators and beliefs in an afterlife, in absence of any organized religion. Archeologists can uncover creative instruments of faith, ritualistic burial sights or even drawings on cave walls. Christians can simply state that if you dig up enough graves in our cemeteries you could find a range of skeletons that would align with and validate the evelotionary progression charts. Yet science nor religion can give us a definite answer on why, how or who created the pyramids or Stonehenge. Science is unable to fully identify all lifeforces that live within our oceans and our vision along with our natural perceptions are unable to see things that are literally right in front of our eyes.

I don't know what is written in all the books. I don't see any reason to anylize the words of man. I do know there is a difference between believing of and believing in.

You mean Santa is not real?
Seriously,I never had any trouble with the Santa thing nor did my kids.

most peoples believed in a creator.The closer to nature people live the more obvious it is that the design of everything,every seed,bug,and animal is much to complicated to have just happened.

A good example might be honey bees. If you look into the structure of a bee colony and understand that in order for the colony to make it through the first winter every detail of their society must be in place from day one. If any small detail is missing the colony will die. They could not have changed much over time or their society would have failed.

When I was young I wanted to believe in the science side of everything mostly because I wanted to do as I pleased without paying a price for it.
I believe in the value of science and have lived through maybe a time of advancement of science never before equaled.however science still only explains with limits which are reached long before resolution of so many questions are reached.
There has to be more at play than the limits of science can explain. Science can not create anything new. It can only work with things already existing.

We are having a big ongoing debate about climate change now. It's on the news all the time.
It's almost funny that some people think man owns and controls the earth and the climate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandy hicksEveryone knows that. It was the theory of evolution. Too bad the definition of a theory is a plausible explanation of supposed facts. I have a theory about the de-evolution of man. I call it devolution, where man thinks that he is God to the point of returning to the stone age.
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762 We can guide our children and raise them with morals, values, religion or lack there of, but at the end of the day you have to step back and realize that they and they alone will live their own lives and choose the path they take.

Exactly!
thumbup1.gif

Giving them more information will help them make informed decisions on their own, and it will make it a lot more likely that they will put away superstitions and fairy tales like the creation myth.

It is a whole lot easier to think that they came from a slug. Some people are still at the slug stage but they masquerade as fully developed folks.

Originally Posted By: Big_FootOriginally Posted By: sandy hicksEveryone knows that. It was the theory of evolution. Too bad the definition of a theory is a plausible explanation of supposed facts. I have a theory about the de-evolution of man. I call it devolution, where man thinks that he is God to the point of returning to the stone age.
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

Let me post the real definition of what a scientific theory is..

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment. Such fact-supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

It's a whole lot easier to believe that earth is in the center of the universe. that it is flat. That the sun revolves around the earth, that penguins traveled from Antarctica to hitch a ride on a boat....Its a whole lot easier to only read one book, then to read many about how the world really works. It's a whole lot easier to beat your animals, walk to the mosque and obey without question what your Imam tells you..it's a whole lot easier to pat yourself on the back and and tell yourself how much better you are, because your beliefs are the correct one. It's a whole lot easier to believe you and your family are going to live forever in some perfect fantasy land even though you make up less then .0000001% of all the living beings that have ever existed..

Originally Posted By: tnshootist
most peoples believed in a creator.

Of course they did.

They needed somebody to pray to-that the pain in their abscessed teeth would stop before they died, that their diarrhea would stop before they died of dysentery, or that somebody would stop the sky from falling on their heads when thunder crashed during a storm.

And some people in the world still do.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: tnshootistYou mean Santa is not real?

most peoples believed in a creator.The closer to nature people live the more obvious it is that the design of everything,every seed,bug,and animal is much to complicated to have just happened.

A good example might be honey bees. If you look into the structure of a bee colony and understand that in order for the colony to make it through the first winter every detail of their society must be in place from day one. If any small detail is missing the colony will die. They could not have changed much over time or their society would have failed.

When I was young I wanted to believe in the science side of everything mostly because I wanted to do as I pleased without paying a price for it.
I believe in the value of science and have lived through maybe a time of advancement of science never before equaled.however science still only explains with limits which are reached long before resolution of so many questions are reached.
There has to be more at play than the limits of science can explain. Science can not create anything new. It can only work with things already existing.

We are having a big ongoing debate about climate change now. It's on the news all the time.
It's almost funny that some people think man owns and controls the earth and the climate.

Actually, I find just the opposite. The closer you get to nature, the more you realize you're just a part of it and not some alien with special powers over all that you see.

The honey bees survived because the the ones that were able to reproduce, passed on their genetic codes to their offspring. the ones that didn't reproduce, made zero contributions to perfecting the honeycomb design. Times this by thousands of generations and slowly over time the organism will adapt to the stressors of the environment. It's pretty simple to understand actually.

I have asked this question before and never received an answer, but since evolution is simple to you, I will ask again.....Which evolved first? Male or female?

Male/female sex, is actually a pretty strong data point in support of evolution. It's a fantastically simple, robust strategy for natural selection with the advantage going to the most complex organisms.

There's no proof though. But straightforward, easily plausible reasons why it should have evolved and ways it could have happened. If you're looking for hard evidence, I'm not sure you'll find it. But, as far as that being some sort of unanswerable riddle, far from it. Several very possible pathways to have evolved male/female.

Lot of species are neither, they're all gay, not male or female, all the same, but reproduce sexually. Lot more aren't sexual at all, each individual is capable of reproducing without sex. But, like I said, the natural selection advantages of male/female sex are obvious and it makes perfect sense if you believe in natural selection (I do), that male/female was a simple evolutionary step.

The question of which first, is just silly. Obviously.

- DAA

Actually, my question was not looking for a male or female answer. Just an attempt to invoke some thought.

For instance....there are some Sumarian tablets which predate the Book of Genesis by 6000 years. In those tablets the word for red clay is adam.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerOriginally Posted By: tnshootistYou mean Santa is not real?

Actually, I find just the opposite. The closer you get to nature, the more you realize you're just a part of it and not some alien with special powers over all that you see.

The honey bees survived because the the ones that were able to reproduce, passed on their genetic codes to their offspring. the ones that didn't reproduce, made zero contributions to perfecting the honeycomb design. Times this by thousands of generations and slowly over time the organism will adapt to the stressors of the environment. It's pretty simple to understand actually.

I can tell you don't know much about bees.
Before you correct someone it is always good to know what you are talking about.
If you would do some reading you would find that it is impossible for bees to evolve over time.
They must have every one of a very complicated set of circumstances in place to survive.

Do you mean to tell me that you believe whales were once elephants and that some of them ran into the sea where their feet turned to flippers and their nostrils moved to the top of their head?
And their ears went away.
You actually can swallow that set of "facts"?
Now that my friend is faith.

About bees.
Do you have any idea how bees reproduce?

Last edited:
Whales were never elephants. They once were land creatures though. The creature didn't just decide to jump in the water on one day. It slowly became what it is. For hundreds of thousands of years it was an animal that spent time on land and in water. The species that we know and see today are only snapshots in time of ever changing organisms. Like every thing else in nature you either adapt or die

Last edited:
Still reading it myself.
It was written by a most famous group.
It is interesting.
I know that people can chose to believe whatever they want to but the ideas they promote are just amazing.
One thing for sure the writers were not raised on a farm.
I think I may have to give it to my older grand daughter. She will get a kick out of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back