Brightest IR light question

Unless it's got the IR listed below I'd say it's this one.

Originally Posted By: HTRN57Since it is now the off season and I have a little more time to work on projects, I can convert pretty much any T-20 out there to the rheostat tailcap switch for $50 (includes return shipping). This conversion will also include the new Osram 4715AS IR 850nm LED rated at 1,400 millampere (mA) since the 3 mode LEDs will not work with the rheostat switch. If anyone wants one converted just send it to me with your check or cash to:

High Tech Red Neck, Inc
14236 Hillcrest Lane
Rushville, IL 62681

Please also send me an email at hightechredneckinc@gmail.com so I can keep track of what is coming and going.

Thanks, Kevin

It's not so much the light as it is the components in the right configuration. You can only drive an LED so hard.

The difference between a T20-50-66 is the size of the lens. The bigger the lens the smaller the focused area. When driven the same none of those lights produce more lumens, they just focus those lumens in a smaller area creating more throw. That's how it works with visible light, not sure how to quantify IR light or measure it but the optics work the same.

With the bigger lens you look at a small square of focused LED light smaller than the FOV of your scope. I don't like running my red lights or my IR like that I back it off so it fills the FOV of my scope. In doing this you're no longer squeezing all the throw out of a light. It would be an interesting comparison of those three lenses to see how bright each one is when it fills the FOV at a given magnification and distance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yoteblasterWhats the brightest longest reach IR light right now?

Depends on application such as handheld, weapon or vehicle mounted ?

Also depends on the wave length, I was referring to 850nm.

As you go down towards the visible spectrum, 805 or 810 would be brighter than the 850 with all things being equal, going the other way 940 is less visible.

Never laid hands on a Torch Pro but based on my understanding of LEDs and optics the overall bezel diameter is 1.73 inches same as a T20, I would think it performs the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old catTorch Pro II 810 or 805 nm. I think.

I love my torch pros.

That said, I think wave length is important. I don't pay any attention to it myself, but I know deer and yotes are wary if I am not sitting still and I've got my IR cranked all the way up. I'd assume that's pretty standard though.

The brightest IR light we use is the Coyote Light IR. Quite possibly twice as bright as the Torch Pro MKII but its also much bigger and heavier. The output of the Coyote Light IR is incredible though. The Torch Pro is a much better price, size and weight but the Coyote Light IR is substantially brighter and has the longest reach I've seen in a commerical IR light. Check it out.
thumbup1.gif

Coyote Light IR Illuminator

I think it's fair to say that brighter isn't always better (depending on what you're hunting.) And holy smokes, if that's the case I may pick one up for pigs!! That's seriously impressive Tom.

Originally Posted By: old catTorch Pro II 810 or 805 nm. I think.
810nm, but we also have drop in diodes available at 880nm and 910nm as well.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TatonkaIII think it's fair to say that brighter isn't always better (depending on what you're hunting.) And holy smokes, if that's the case I may pick one up for pigs!! That's seriously impressive Tom.

I agree, but the adjustable rheostat on the Coyote Light IR gives you a lot of brightness adjustment. It IS impressive!
thumbup.gif

Back