Horrible Recovery - Salvaged rather well

Infidel 762

Staff member
I knew I hit this deer... He just did not leave a very good blood trail.. Spring and early summer rains have grown the weeds very tall this year... I walked within 20 or 30 yards of him, while searching with all the earnestness at my command... Had a sinking feeling I was going to loose this one...

I walked though the area I suspected him to be, walking back to hunt that stand... This last time while walking in, I smelt it... The dead body smell... I exhaled vapor from an e-cig to get a better line of sight on wind direction.. I started zig zagging working my way to the source of the smell... This is what I found;

The characteristics of a non-typical whitetail;

Most agree that the meat of a younger deer tastes best... This one would not have tasted as good being 8 1/2 years old;

Guess I could ask the coyotes how he tasted.

Can't blame coyote for being coyote..

3 February 2016

Went to the taxidermist to pic up this guy;

I took him a deer I had mounted a few years ago, it was a smaller buck I should not have mounted.. Anyway, he was able to remove the old antlers are replace them with this year's muzzle loader buck;

For only being a mainframe 8, I am pleased with the way it turned out;

It wouldn't be hunting if we didn't loose one every now and then. But it always feels like crap. Sorry for your lose... But at least you found him later. I lost a big boy 2 years ago, had good blood but lost it on the neighbors property. Never found him. I still think about it, and it still hurts...

Jason

That looks like it was a prime buck and good on you for sticking with it.. I think that based on this and the other posts, you sir, are what they would define as the very definition of fair chase.

got to hate it when that happens. but sooner or later, if we hunt long enough, it will happen.

2-3 years ago, a buddy and I got into a small group of elk. his went down where we could see it. mine, though the shot felt good, got to some trees. after dressing his out, we went looking for mine. found a good blood trail, that slowly petered out. on dry ground with no snow to help, one spot of blood at a time, we tracked that elk for a mile and a half if I remember right. at the end of the day, just could not find another drop. went back the next day and spent a couple hours at the end of the trail and finally gave up without finding it.

Just an empty sinking feeling and i understand exactly how you feel. I had it happen to me 20 yrs ago and it still bothers me. the only consolation is you did recover the remains. guy

Back