243 Win at 335, 500, and 850 yards

DiRTY DOG

243 Winchester 55gr NBT at 335, 500, 850 yards. Savage 10 Predator Hunter, Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40. Just messing around getting used to this rig.

Video:

Not surprised in doing that with a .243 but am surprised in doing it with 55gr bullets. I shoot 70 gr and thought they were light for that distance. Love seeing the trace.

Those 55gr NBTs get there just fine, fast and flat too.
smile.gif

On one of the 850 yd strings (somewhere around 4:15 or so) looked like the trace was breaking a bit to the right but hitting target; how much windage were you having to put on? Could see mirage but couldn't tell if it was boiling or running right to left. (Or was it just the angle of the camera?) Would think that any wind would blow the light weight bullets around a bit.

Regards,
hm

I was holding about 2 feet right at 850 yards, kentucky windage. There was a cross wind from the right somewhere midway to the target, but just a slight breeze AT the target (and coming from the other direction).

I mostly shoot under 500 yards and the 55s hold their own. If I shot long range regularly I'd shoot something else like the 105s. But under 500 yards I see no worthwhile benefit of shooting a different bullet, the windage advantage of a high BC bullet is marginal.

Don't you love to take that first shot when you have opposing wind directions?

Worst conditions I ever encountered was shooting adjacent to a safety berm separating two 600 yd ranges. The wind was gusty and coming straight over that berm; apparently cresting like a wave in the surf. The #1 & 2 shooters were shooting through the curl @ 600.

Regards,
hm

Great video, good job!

I have some Nosler Lead Free 55 gr 243 Varmint bullets. I need to do some reloading with some different powders to find out what groups the best in my rifle.

Thanks for posting the video!

Savage 10 Predator Hunter Max-1 243 Win, 24" barrel, AccuStock. The AccuTrigger was malfunctioning right out of the box (decocked when sideways pressure applied to trigger blade) so I installed a Rifle Basix trigger and adjusted it to about 2.5 lbs. Only other thing I did was I had the ugly camo dip blasted off the stock.

TPS HRT low rings, lapped (didn't barely need it)
EGW HD zero moa rail
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 fine crosshair, CDS dial in moa
Harris swivel bipod 9"-13"

Leupold 1000i TBR laser ranged that disk at 850 yards, barely.
Ballistics calculated in advance on JBM.
243 Win 55gr NBT velocity est 3900 fps.

Video camera is a Panasonic HC-V700M, excellent camera.

Alright I'll bite on this one FIRST POST!!! How fur friendly is that bullet at those speeds? Trying to find a decent rifle for my son (to buy)HA HA! I know savages are good shooters, you proved that! Just not a fan of these new production guns, little ole schooled.

Back