On a roll

realhunter

Good weather, calm wind, about 25 degrees. Started off today around 1400. I went and hit several good looking spots (10) or so... Using only rabbit distress and coyote vocalizations. Spent approx 30-40 min each stand. Felt like I got in real clean on all the sets. Just wasn't getting a response.

Then I went to a familiar spot & look what was on the way in...

a9jcw.jpg

I mean everywhere! (it had snowed & these were fresh)

So I crept in and placed the caller & decoy about 40 yds into the field, & back to my stand.

2wm0y0y.jpg

I hit the cottontail distress, it played out through its sequence... I played it again after a 5 min wait... MOVEMENT and FAST here comes a yote' charging the decoy! He gets to about 10 yds from call and bolts! I get him in the scope and bang right up the rear, Flop!

25fukcm.jpg

Then I go to pup distress, it plays out about 30 seconds... I wait about 5-10 min... nothing, I hit pup distress again. plays out... nothing. So I'm about to get up & I catch movement in the corn stalks. Another yote' about 125 yds or so! I make a little noise getting the gun on her but she cant tell what I am and just locks up
cool.gif
I settle down & squeeze the trigger. Flop!

3329t2s.jpg

2n1f4uh.jpg

I've been lucky! It's just coming together this yr!

1zpk7c1.jpg

Nice double!! Coyotes and corn stalks, almost as good as hay bales. There may always be a little luck involved but at some point it becomes more than just luck. I don't know about you but if I don't see sign like that near every stand it doesn't get much of my attention. Congrats!!!

Very nice double, luck? luck = when opportunity and preparedness meet

You worked hard and had your mess together when the op presented itself.

If there was luck involved, it was a "selfie".

Thanks for the comments gents!

I am definitely getting better and paying attention to all the details. Trying to apply all the great content I read here.

I will say that this 25-223AR flat thumps them! This is 7 or 8 coyotes now and not a one has taken a step. Only 1 I'd say that the pelt was ruined. (I'm not a fur expert) but, no fist sized exits. About a quarter sized exit is the norm. The big male last night the bullet did not exit... straight away shot" had a lot of body to travel through.

Nosler 25/85 Solid base BT over 25.6gr of AA2200 & A CCI magnum 450 primer... gets 2750 from a 16.5 " barrel. This is about 35% more energy than 5.56/223.

The cartridge uses standard AR15 components, only requires a barrel change and a redding type s sizing die w a 25 cal sizing button. Then a trim to 1.70, deburring & your ready to load.

Back