Daddy Daughter Fox Hunting!

huntinaz

I've been telling my oldest daughter that I'd take her fox hunting this winter. I finally scheduled a day to go and my youngest said she wanted to go as well. So I said what the heck, I'll take 'em both.

Of course bringing two little girls (3yrs and 5 yrs old) and expecting them to sit still on a predator stand was going to have it's challenges, so I made sure they had warm clothes, beanies, earmuffs, and sat them on a pillow and put a green blanket over them to mask as much movement as possible. That is also why I was targeting fox, they just seem easier to call in and they usually come in all the way and even if they see you they often times hang around anyway. I figured they were my best chance at success, plus I've been trying to kill a fox since I've started calling 6 years ago. I believe they are the easiest predator to call and kill but I have not been able to seal the dead. I've passed on a few while calling for bears, I've missed a few, I've been on stand where someone else has killed fox numerous times, but the "elusive" grey fox has eluded me...

Picture of the two cutest fox hunters around:

Well we made 3 stands this afternoon, nothing doing on the first two but at the 25 minute mark on the last stand, when I was just about to call it, I hear my daughter whisper "there's one!" and I saw a fox coming in. I let him circle around, partly for a closer shot and partly to let the girls watch him. When a shot too good to pass up came along I dropped him with some #4 buckshot and we bagged our first fox, on the girls first hunting trip, and drew first blood with the new Foxpro. The girls got a pretty big kick out of it, they were very excited. Almost as excited as me.

Got him skinned and in the freezer, very nice pelt on this one. Man I've been wanting a fox pelt!

Love seeing the family posts were getting the kids involved in the hunting sport has a happy ending. Good job dad!
thumbup.gif

That is what it's all about! Time in the woods with your kids is priceless. You will have hunting partners for life now!!! Congrats.

huntinaz--Way to go there Dad!!! It is nice to see a hunter willing to take his daughters along with him on a predator hunt. Thanks for the story and the photos. I hope your girls will continue to be hunting companions for you in the future.

Good job Dad! While taking the kids can be challenging, nothing is better than when it all comes together while they're sitting by your side.

I started both my girls varmint hunting about 5 now one is 20 and the other 15 and I can't get out of the house to hunt without them. Those girls will remember this for a long time Dad GREAT JOB......

What a great post. That's awesome! My oldest daughter started hunting at age 12. Even when the hunting was slow, we always had a great time together. She's 28 now and can't get out as much, but I wouldn't trade those memories for the world.
thumbup1.gif

Thanks guys. It was awesome. I hope they want to come out with me again, they say they do. Gonna have to invest in a better camo blanket.

Huntinaz I like the way you think. 6 and 4. one stand

one short tracking job.

one coyote found.

= 2 little girls who think predator hunting is AWESOME!!!!

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Back