Trigger pull weight reduction on a 1911

i have a 1911 style pistol that the trigger is just HEAVY, i have no intent of doing anything but lightening the trigger pull. can i just get a different mainspring or is there more to it?

i have a couple of different recoil springs, how do i know what the rate is? does the paint color on it matter? the extra one that came with the gun is white, the one that is in it has no paint on it.

I've never heard of any trigger(even a bad one) on a 1911 being described as "Heavy", seeing as it is single action. Hope you get it figured out.

Chupa

You can slightly lighten the trigger pull on a 1911 by adjusting the sear spring, and maybe by installing a lighter mainspring. The BEST way is to take it to a (real) gunsmith and have him do a trigger job.

That is not necessarily true. My most recent 1911, a Ruger, has a heavy trigger. Heavy (6-7 pounds) but crisp. There is a difference. More explanation of "heavy" by the OP could help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogtiredThat is not necessarily true. My most recent 1911, a Ruger, has a heavy trigger. Heavy (6-7 pounds) but crisp. There is a difference. More explanation of "heavy" by the OP could help.

X2 My buddy just got a Ruger 1911 and the trigger pull is heavy as is the recoil spring. It is very accurate though.

You have a couple of ways to go.

1. You can do the at home fix of tweaking the leaf spring and swapping the mainspring as was mentioned. Done this with decent success

2. You could pick up a drop in hammer/sear form Cylinder and Slide, Nowlin, Chip McCormick or Wilson. I've done this with good resuts but believe me some fitting MAY be required. (Leave the Dreemel in the box)

3. Get your $100.00 bill out and go see a good 'smith. If you have a local USPSA/IPSC club handy make contact with those boys. They may well know a local guy that does good work. I've had great luck doing that on my last 1911. It was a bit more than $100.00 but I bought all new drop in's as the orginals were trashed before I got the pistol by a home DIY hacker.

A good trigger on a 1911 is truly a pleasure to shoot. You can shoot acceptably with many triggers but you can shoot Reliability first then trigger then sights is how I look at a new build.

Keep us posted.

Greg

Last edited:
Back