They shot my truck

Infidel 762

Staff member
A couple weeks ago I was driving home from our ranch. I had my son, dad and dog in my truck. On the dirt road about a mile and a half from my house there is a creek with a bridge. Some idiots pulled off the road and where target shooting, which don't bother me, it's the country. There are tall weeds along the bar ditch. These weeds block your view but they won't stop a bullet. It was a laid back drive down the dirt road with my dog on my lap hanging out the window. As chance would have it as soon as I got across the bridge I experienced the crack and pop. Re actively I crouched down, accelerated and swerved to the other side of the road before stopping about 100 yards down the road. I knew immediately what just happened, I just could not believe it was happening in Oklahoma. I said to my dad "F-_-(k they shot my truck". I got out and looked for the bullet hole... My dad started telling me to calm I think you just had your window down and it was close. I felt the impact of a 7.62 mm on the steel frame I just could not see the bullet hole cause when I open the door the mirror blocks it from view. My dad keeps assuring me to calm down it was just close and I don't see the hole. I notice 2 guys walk out of the ditch with guns get in their car and leave. I know I felt the impact not just hear it but I still don't see the hole and my dad keeps assuring me to calm down, so I start second guessing myself and just watch the guys drive off.

Well a few days ago I went to the car wash. With the door closed the mirror don't hide the hole. A couple inches higher and left I would have been in line with the trajectory. What bothers me most is my son was in the truck. It's prolly best I did not see the bullet hole that day cause those guys would have been held at gunpoint until LEOs arrived. Went back there and the ground was littered with cheap steel 7.63x39 casings and had targets set up with the weeds hiding the road as a backing.

The hard truth is some people are too stupid to own guns. The same can be said for driving a vehicle, having children, pets, drinking alcohol and a host of other situations that require maturity, intelligence and good judgement. Glad you are alright.

Couldn't agree more...I worked at a gun shop for 3.5 years and im telling you...majority of gun owners are flat out morons and should not be allowed to own a gun without a mental evaluation.

Good thing no one was hurt. That round didn't miss the glass by much, you might have a talk with those 2 if you can recognize the vehicle again. There just isn't any excuse for that kind of negligence. Your luck was good on that day.

Last edited:
I would still be letting the sheriff know about this incident. Although it was accidental there is such a thing as negligence and truth be told it appears that round BARELY missed your chest.

Couldn't agree more...I worked at a gun shop for 3.5 years and im telling you...majority of gun owners are flat out morons and should not be allowed to own a gun without a mental evaluation.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterI would still be letting the sheriff know about this incident. Although it was accidental there is such a thing as negligence and truth be told it appears that round BARELY missed your chest.

Probably a good idea. These A-holes will most likely pull another stunt like this only the next time some hapless person might get seriously injured or killed. Best they get a reality check before things get worse.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: TheshedhunterI would still be letting the sheriff know about this incident. Although it was accidental there is such a thing as negligence and truth be told it appears that round BARELY missed your chest.

Probably a good idea. These A-holes will most likely pull another stunt like this only the next time some hapless person might get seriously injured or killed. Best they get a reality check before things get worse.

Thank you all for the comments about my family being safe, that is what bothers me most... I did make a police report... The county sheriff came out and met us at the bridge. My dad and I both filled out witness reports, they took pictures of my truck and the area they where shooting, they collected some shell casings, empty ammo boxes and said they would watch the area. We called the land owner and he said no one has permission to be down there. We drive across that bridge multiple times every day, the area is definitely being watched now. Idiots like this do make all gun owners look bad.

Obviously I am late in seeing this thread.
However, I too, am very glad to hear that no one was injured.

Enough comments (similar to what is crossing my mind) have already been posted, so I will say no more....except...may God continue to keep your family safe.

Originally Posted By: GCThe hard truth is some people are too stupid to own guns. The same can be said for driving a vehicle, having children, pets, drinking alcohol and a host of other situations that require maturity, intelligence and good judgement. Glad you are alright.

I agree, another painful truth.^^

Sucks, but most likely better that you didn`t notice at the time..I mean as pizzed as you would have been, I would have been. Yep, best thing you/family are ok.
Curious where it stopped, just right through the first layer?

Originally Posted By: HookedOriginally Posted By: GCThe hard truth is some people are too stupid to own guns. The same can be said for driving a vehicle, having children, pets, drinking alcohol and a host of other situations that require maturity, intelligence and good judgement. Glad you are alright.

I agree, another painful truth.^^

Sucks, but most likely better that you didn`t notice at the time..I mean as pizzed as you would have been, I would have been. Yep, best thing you/family are ok.
Curious where it stopped, just right through the first layer?

The bullet hit the metal frame... If not it most likely would have went into the cab.. Not able to find it.. I'm thinking just bondo body filler and touch up paint.

Looks a little large of a hole for bondo alone, but it could work, maybe put something underneath it to hold the bondo...like a small section of screen.
Looks like it might be a Chevy?
My `03 Avalanche looks similar, a little rubber flap that occasionally `flaps` in the wind when it gets out...lol, in the cowl area under the windshield.

[beeep], glad you and your family are okay. Hope they get caught and the book thrown at them. Idiots like that need a good old fashioned a$$ whoopn' on top of any legal ramifications they might face.

Wow that was close way to close. Had a similar experience on May 18 fishing a local open bass tournament. My partner and I were fishing in a bay on Lake Wisconsin next thing we hear is bullets whizzing around us and right over out heads. We start hollering there are people fishing out here stop shooting! This is the reply we got we can shoot pigeons any time we want. I replied so you are going to shoot at houses 1/2 mile across the bay and boaters on the bay to attempt to kill a few birds. They replied back never thought of it that way guess we didn't realize out bullets would fly that far. All I have to say is I'm all for the second amendment but some people just shouldn't own a firearm due to stupidity.

Back