Strange/interesting coyote things...

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
We have a lot of guys here with years and decades of hunting experience. I know that over the years there have been lots of strange and interesting things seen. I want to hear some stories and see some pictures of some of them.

One of mine is this snare that was around the neck of a coyote I shot about 15 years ago. It was a home-made snare that was used some around here, just made with some cable and washers. The only thing I can figure was that the coyote chewed through the wire, as tough as that seems. He was in perfect health, and looked like he had been wearing that snare for a long time. You could barely see it, tucked down in the fur.

Wow.

Here's one of the two collared yotes I've called up. Don't have a handy pic of Miz Kiz's, but the collar style was fairly different.

6a71a28e-0755-41ae-98f0-65f5b43b3c39_zps27355232.jpg

That's neat. I wish, in my younger years, that I had carried a camera with me on all my outdoor excursions. There have been a lot of things that I wish I would have gotten pictures of. We don't have pics of either of the three-legged coyotes dad killed.

That's amazing.. Wonder who took the time to put the collar on the coyote.

Did someone come looking for the collar?

They are releasing wolves in AZ with collars. I have thought that it would be funny to put one of those callars on a UPS turck axle. just to watch thier faces when they the patern.

There's a biological research center about 5 miles down the road from where we shot this one, and it's right next door to where Miz Kiz shot hers a couple of years ago. The one Miz Kiz shot was slowly dying of starvation. They had apparently collared it when it was a pup, and as she grew it was choking her. That dog should have weighed close to 40 pounds, but only weighed 20 something. She had a groove in her neck when we cut the collar off.

If you look close you can see the snare this guy was wearing. He had chewed through one of my snares a day or so before.

Scan6-1.jpg

I once killed a big male coyote that had been shot across the bridge of his nose at one time. The wound had completely healed. He was breathing out the hole in his face instead of his nose. I had his skull for a few years but it has since disappeared. You could lay your whole finger across the hole. Believe it or not he was in much worse shape than the coyote above. He was the nastiest coyote I have ever seen. I wish I had a picture of him.

Last edited:
Justin, you are the only other person I have talked to that has killed one with a snare around their neck. I'm sure a lot more have, just you're the only one I know of for sure. That one in your picture is pretty mangy, but I have killed some lots worse. I killed one with my .22 pistol that didn't have a hair on it, and was all black. Mange was pretty bad here a few years back, but right now most of them are looking pretty good.

I also killed a coyote, many years ago and before I carried a camera around with me, that had a snare around it's neck. The snare had been chewed off and the area around the snare on the neck was badly infected. It was nasty.
Here's a couple of coyotes that I killed on the same day. Both had opposite hind legs that were deformed, maybe had broken bones at one time. You can see how the fur is long between the pads, indicating the none use of the foot. Have killed many 3 legged coyotes over the years, but it was odd to kill these two on the same day.
006-5.jpg

These were kinda odd...

Tumor on his foot and leg.

Blue eyes. He had an old wound on his nose from a previous fight too.

One eyed old coyote with hardly any teeth left.

Originally Posted By: KizmoThere's a biological research center about 5 miles down the road from where we shot this one, and it's right next door to where Miz Kiz shot hers a couple of years ago. The one Miz Kiz shot was slowly dying of starvation. They had apparently collared it when it was a pup, and as she grew it was choking her. That dog should have weighed close to 40 pounds, but only weighed 20 something. She had a groove in her neck when we cut the collar off.

I hate it when i find out they are doing these dumb "research" things with the Money we spend on Hunting and Fishing Lic.

Quote:I hate it when i find out they are doing these dumb "research" things with the Money we spend on Hunting and Fishing Lic.

Go to the predator biology forum, and you can read about some results and findings of the "dumb research things" they have done.

Can you be more specific what you mean in regards to "dumb research things"?

I know very little about scientific research yet my perception leads me to believe most see coyote as just a calf killer, deer eater, or villain in cartoons, a creature to be eradicated. My grandfather spoke of times when there was a bounty on them with an ear as proof of a kill… however the Kiowa spoke of coyote licking the wounds of dying warriors and healing them. Natives also spoke of white men killing the coyote body but not the spirit. The Hopi honor Maasaw (Messiah) with coyote on totem... some believe coyote has the power of resurrection from the dead and part of his evening laughter is a mockery to those who have robbed him… now with that, I am not saying that this 3 legged; mangy coyote missing part of an ear has been resurrected from the dead… but days later his carcass was missing…

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:I hate it when i find out they are doing these dumb "research" things with the Money we spend on Hunting and Fishing Lic.

Go to the predator biology forum, and you can read about some results and findings of the "dumb research things" they have done.

Can you be more specific what you mean in regards to "dumb research things"?

In AZ, the Fish and Game paid Government trappers to come in and trap and kill all predatory animals in an area that had some Prarie Dogs. (out by williams) They used every method, hunters couldn't. Trapping on public land, spotlighting, Poisoning.
They did this in a couple of mile area, and they did this why... To try and reintroduce a black footed ferret. If they have to kill everything in the area to try and plant a ferret, it's garbage.. It's been failing.
#2... Using money to string rope between the tree's in AZ to allow the squirels to cross the road without getting run over. This doesn't improve or better hunting either.
#3 going out of their way in AZ again, to plant a Mexican Wolf, They have been planting them over and over to try and get them to take. It's been almost a decade and now it's starting to work. There are so many people in that area, putting in for Elk and deer hunts that only 1 in 10 are successful, yet they are planting and studying Wolves. Spending hundreds of thousands on this is nice for a warm and fuzzy.

Fish and Game shouldn't come asking for money and raise Lic fee's, as they did this year, when they are spending money on things like this. IMO.
Especially when the tags and stuff are more expensive here than other states.

Non of these projects increase hunting or improve hunting and fishing.

There are some grizzly pictures in this bunch. I'm always amazed at how tough these animals really are.

As for biological research, some is helpful and some, (like the examples given), doesn't make sense.

One thing for certain, as long as Kiz and I are hunting the area we're in now the coyote research will be....challenging! The research facility near us is private, so at least our tax dollars are not paying to collar coyotes.

However, most of their research is not aimed at coyotes. Interestingly, they are actually hunting friendly, and do some good work, in areas other than 'coyote'. The most interesting coyote information they offer is the admission that although some research indicates that hunting coyotes increases their numbers, other research indicates the opposite result.

It's not opened to the public often but I made it a point to visit the last time it held open house. I inquired about the "tracking collar" research and learned that they collar a LOT of animals, but very few coyotes. They explained to me that, "Coyotes can rarely be called up, and also cannot be trapped because they are so smart. Also, they rarely present as targets of opportunity and even when they do it's hard to hit them with the dart gun." I smiled and thanked them for the info, and held my laughter until I left the grounds. (I did NOT fess up that I had relieved them of one of their 'rare' collared coyotes. It just didn't seem like the time to mention it.)

With our having taken 2 collared coyotes in the last 4 years, I can only say, "oops"! (Honestly, I do feel bad about messing up their research, but when the coyotes are in with the cows, they cease to be a research project.)

Last edited:
T-Bone, was that AZ Game and Fish, or was it USFW?

Usually the state game departments are able to keep their eye on the ball.

But, in contrast, U.S. Fish and Wildlife as a part of the Dept. of Interior is the ones that take on the "endangered species" projects. I can't tell that department from the radical environmental terrorist groups that would like nothing better than to make a park of everything west of the Texas state line.

But, as time marches on, you see less people with common sense in all levels of anything to do with the outdoors.

Quote:In AZ, the Fish and Game paid Government trappers to come in and trap and kill all predatory animals in an area that had some Prarie Dogs. (out by williams) They used every method, hunters couldn't. Trapping on public land, spotlighting, Poisoning.
They did this in a couple of mile area, and they did this why... To try and reintroduce a black footed ferret. If they have to kill everything in the area to try and plant a ferret, it's garbage.. It's been failing.
#2... Using money to string rope between the tree's in AZ to allow the squirels to cross the road without getting run over. This doesn't improve or better hunting either.
#3 going out of their way in AZ again, to plant a Mexican Wolf, They have been planting them over and over to try and get them to take. It's been almost a decade and now it's starting to work. There are so many people in that area, putting in for Elk and deer hunts that only 1 in 10 are successful, yet they are planting and studying Wolves. Spending hundreds of thousands on this is nice for a warm and fuzzy.

Fish and Game shouldn't come asking for money and raise Lic fee's, as they did this year, when they are spending money on things like this. IMO.
Especially when the tags and stuff are more expensive here than other states.

Non of these projects increase hunting or improve hunting and fishing.

#1 - Not research. You do have to give reintroduced species a boost until they get established. This is done all the time with turkeys, deer, and other big game species. You usually don't have anyone complaining about that. But again, your example had nothing to do with research.

#2. Again, that example has nothing to do with research, unless they were trying to see if they would use the rope as opposed to crossing the road otherwise. Do you think the squirrels realize they can use the rope to avoid being run over?

#3. Again that does not sound like research. Sounds like a reintroduction program you don't agree with. Nobody seems to complain when they reintroduce or stock quail, turkey, antelope, big horn sheep, deer or elk.

FWIW, NM G&F pulled out of the Mexican Wolf program about 4 years ago and doesn't support it, The only reason they ever were there was because of Bill Richardson.

Get involved in what the Game Dept. does and go to the meetings and let your voice be heard. Sometimes they listen...
wink.gif

Back