Stupid newbie gun question

Anna

I'm a girl so forgive the newbie question. What is the best grain size ammo for a 1-10 twist .243 win weatherby vanguard? I'm trying to choose a cartridge for hunting varmints and predators. Thanks for your help.

If you don't reload and you use your rifle for deer as well,then any major brand of ammo using a 100 grain bullet will do well.If you are using it for a dedicated yote rifle,then you may want to try the Federal 80 grain load #243AS.

It leaves the muzzle at 3,300 FPS and sighted 3" high at 100 yards,it will be dead on at 200 and 4" low at 300.

There are other good loads but this is one that I'm familiar with.

Good luck.

Welcome aboard!

You should be good for just about any length 6mm projectile save possibly the super heavies(115's). Most predator hunters use 55-70gr projectiles with a spattering of 80-87grs here and there.

Chupa

This is far from being a stupid question. If you don't reload, you choices for varmint ammo for the .243 Winchester are fairly limited. Many suppliers are out of stock on many varmint loads for the .243 Win. Check Midway, Cabelas, etc. to see what is in stock.

If I were hand-loading, I would consider the 75 or 85 grain Hornady V-Max. Lapua, Sierra, and few other premium bullets are also available.

Originally Posted By: HornetHunterIt leaves the muzzle at 3,300 FPS and sighted 3" high at 100 yards,it will be dead on at 200 and 4" low at 300.

There are other good loads but this is one that I'm familiar with.

Good luck.

I was looking at my ballistic calculator and for that bullet sighted in 3" high at 100 yards shows it be dead on at 300 yards and only 2" low at 400 yards.

I wonder if we were looking at different data here.

I'm not sure.The load I was referring to is a factory load and this is the performance that it provides from both my Kimber and Winchester.At least that's the data that I have taped to my scopes on those two rifles.

HH, how many varmints have you killed and what distance with a 3" @100 zero ?

Having hunted 'chucks for over 30 years , I have a good idea what works in general.
For coyote, I'd run no more than 1.5".

Glad it works for you, but it won't for most.

If you read my post, I qualified my statement by referring to deer and yotes,not varmints.

Good for you and I've been hunting chucks since 1966.

That's fine, but the question asked was about varmints and yotes.

I think you may have your info wrong HH ? It does not take 3" at 100 to be dead on at 200.

Even with a 3" @ 100 for shooting coyotes , the 100-150 yard shots you will hit them plenty high.

Never ran more than a 1-1.5" on any rig of mine for any critter. These days I'll just spin turrets for the long ones,instead of guessing..

Everyone has a diff approach to getting the job done.

Yes I'm aware of what she asked,but since I don't use a .243 for chucks, I can't provide that information.I gave her the information that I could provide based upon my experience with the .243 for yotes and deer.

I can understand your use of turrets for those long shots.I guess I'm old school when it comes to long shots on chucks or ground hogs as they are referred to more often in my neck of the woods.I try to estimate the range or in recent years range them with my range finder.

On most of my varmint rigs .22WRM,.22 Hornet,.222 and the .223 Remington,I set up for dead on at 100 to 2" above at 100 yards.

Welcome to the Board, Anna! That 58 grain load that Joe M recommended would be a great place to start. You may want to avoid the heavy muscles and bones of a shoulder at close range. Tim N is correct. You will have many more misses from too high a midrange trajectory than too much drop. Seems that a lot of called coyotes give a good 150 to 175 yard shot and usually give you an opportunity inside 250 yards. The 58 grain load sighted in at 200 yards will allow you to hold on hair to 250 yards. That will take care of 95% of coyote calling situations. Good luck!

Anna, While this is not Firearms related, but it will follow up on some of the comments already made, the skeletal structure of the Coyote, and many other canines is a little different than most realize...

If you mentally draw a line from the head, down through the neck and another up the front leg, the intersection of the two lines will put you pretty close to the DRT point of aim...

As was said, not an ignorant question by any means and +many for women being interested in guns and hunting. Don

Originally Posted By: SodakJimThis is far from being a stupid question. If you don't reload, you choices for varmint ammo for the .243 Winchester are fairly limited. Many suppliers are out of stock on many varmint loads for the .243 Win. Check Midway, Cabelas, etc. to see what is in stock.

If I were hand-loading, I would consider the 75 or 85 grain Hornady V-Max. Lapua, Sierra, and few other premium bullets are also available.

I'd love to reload but I have no idea what to buy to get started with that. I have federal 70 grain bthp by nosler.
I would like to keep the fur if possible. I don't know if its possible exchange the rifle if it isn't the right cartridge size. I probably should have asked these questions before buying the rifle.

Back