Burris Eliminator III

The ranging works great on the Gen 2. Can't possibly be worse on Gen 3. I am not sure how well it would range an actual PD at 500 yards but certainly would range its mound or a clump of grass next to it just fine. Ranged a free hanging "No trespassing" sign from 450 yards every time I tried (I didn't shoot the sign).

I'll know soon. Ordering the 4x16 this afternoon. I know where 5 are and I have a 10% off coupon for that store. Not gonna let it waste ..
thumbup.gif

Wow, I wasn't aware they had a Gen 2, much less a Gen 3. You guys post us a review. I'm really interested in getting one.

There is a bit of confusion I guess that I have caused by calling the previous one (the Eliminator) Gen 2. The original Laserscope (before Eliminator) that didn't work all that great was what I called Gen 1. Here is my impressions about Gen 2:
http://pauldaisy.com/equipment/burris-eliminator-review/
As I understand from Burris, Gen 3 has a FFP reticle so its BDC is accurate at any zoom level. That is the main improvement in my opinion. I don't care for the scattered potatoes in the lower field of view for wind compensation, looks too busy to me. I am sure Burris did this in response to the ridiculous critics that "oh, but it does not adjust POI for the wind!" Duh! No scope in the world does, how could it, it does not have a downrange anemometer? Oh well. The whiners should have less to complain about now.

Thanks Paul. Good review. I've researched a little since I posted. I can't find anything that definitivelys says the Eliminator III has the same remote switch as the Eliminator II but, if it does, it looks like I'm about to be out some $$$ to get one.

I have been tempted by the Gen 3 myself as soon as I heard about it. But I find it hard to spend $1.4k on it when I can have another Gen 2 for about $650, and it is not lighter, either. The FFP reticle alone is not that important to me, and for predator or varmint rifle, x12 magnification is not excessive, so BDC working at x12 only is not that much of a problem. I am not sure if x16 vs x12 gains much, still not a x24 that you need for PD at 400. Not that you'd need Eliminator for that, it is easy to range other things near a PD with another kind of rangefinder and a quick BDC is not that important.
I may get a second Gen 2 to put on my 243. Or on the 223. Oh, I don't know
smile.gif

Another big benefit to this one is the parallax adjustment which is missing on all other range-finding scopes, regardless of brand.

Now if someone would come up with a scope that could correct for leading running coyotes, we would have it made.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjdavis618Now if someone would come up with a scope that could correct for leading running coyotes, we would have it made.
lol.gif

I actually think this would not be as difficult as it may seem. The distance is calculated instantly, and all you'd have to do is follow the target for split second so that the scope could calculate the angular rate and provide compensation. I bet this capability will be coming as soon as Burris figures out how to put the aiming dot onto some kind of a matrix in the clear field off the cross hairs.

For the people interested, I have called Burris on the phone and found out the details of their current line up of Eliminators. I was unaware of these and I think that they deserve a Gen 2.5 now! So, they have four model numbers:

200112: the original Eliminator (which I dubbed Gen 2, the successor to the original non-Eliminator Laserscope). This is a 4-12x42 rangefinding scope with BDC accurate at x12 power only. Has one activation button on the body and a remote control.
200114: this is the same body style and magnification as 200112 but with the front focal plane reticle that zooms in and out, so it will be accurate for BDC at any magnification. Sometimes I see this one labeled as X38 or Eliminator-II. This is Gen 2.5.
200118: this is the same as 200114 but in the 3.5-10x40 power. FFP reticle, accurate BDC at any zoom level. Gen 2.5 also.
200116: this is the Eliminator-3, 4-16x50. New body style; 1200 yard reflective / 800 soft target ranging; parallax adjustment; no remote but two activation buttons in the forward part of scope, left and right; improved battery compartment design. Gen 3: larger glass, bigger laser, body style redesign, gave up the remote.

Burris is running a rebate on 200112 through the end of 2012 ($100 off, here: http://www.burrisoptics.com/eliminatorrebate.pdf) and the 200112 will be soon discontinued. At current street prices this deal would give you a new Gen 2 (BDC accurate at x12 only) for about $700 total.

I will update my Eliminator review page with this information as well. If anyone happens to find inaccuracies in the above please let me know!

The 200114 does have the remote, and it has an inclinometer for uphill / downhill compensation, just like the 200112. X38 reticle with windage grid (I have no idea what that looks like and there are no images on the web for it).
The 200118 does not have the remote or inclinometer. It is a cheaper basic model.
I also discovered that this is all old news (except for the part numbers that I haven't seen clearly identified):
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012...finding-scopes/

The sure could have done better advertising them. I didn't know that there were more than the laserscope and first eliminator model. Until last week anyway.

I hope the last one is front focal plane too.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine put one of the gen.2 on top of his AR. It was unreal how fast it acquired the target and placed the dot for your hold over. We were shooting silhouette targets out to 500 yards and it performed flawlessly.

Kiz has found out that Gen 2.5 and Gen 3 are not FFP, instead they have some way to read the magnification setting and change the POI mark accordingly through firmware. I agree with Kiz in that this is actually better than FFP because the LED-bearing reticle would probably look quite fat if it were FFP and zoomed in. This way, it would remain the same nice size but the highlighted dot would move.

Originally Posted By: PaulDaisyKiz has found out that Gen 2.5 and Gen 3 are not FFP, instead they have some way to read the magnification setting and change the POI mark accordingly through firmware. I agree with Kiz in that this is actually better than FFP because the LED-bearing reticle would probably look quite fat if it were FFP and zoomed in. This way, it would remain the same nice size but the highlighted dot would move.

SWFA has a pretty detailed description on the III specs, and it is listed as a 2nd FP scope.

Back