5 round 308 Pmag!

204 AR

Don't get too excited, this isn't factory it's a mod I did to a 20 rounder. I got the idea on Snipers Hide after doing a google search for 5 round mags.

Here's some pics of the process:

This is the cut down mag. I cut right under the top rib. To reattach the floor plate I used 3 6-32 screws, 1/4" long. Actually I had to cut down 1/2" long screws. I drilled and tapped the plastic, it's pretty tuff stuff.
SDC10293.jpg

Here's the internals. I ended up cutting 5 coils off of the spring. I started with 3 but it seemed too strong so cut off 2 more. I think this will be ok, but won't have a chance to try it till my new barrel gets here. The difficult part was trial and error on the length of the 5 rnd block. I used a piece from the part of the mag that I cut off. It is held in place by drilling a hole in the top and running the end of the mag spring thru it. It also has to be notched at the top. Once you have one apart you'll see what I mean. 1.7" turned out to be the proper length for 5 rounds, while still being able to put the loaded mag into the rifle with the bolt closed. The dust cover still fits also. I did find that the block rattled inside the mag, so after this pic I wrapped the block with duct tape, and that took care of the rattle.

SDC10292.jpg

This is compared to a full size 20 rounder:

SDC10294.jpg

And finally inserted in the gun:

SDC10295.jpg

I think it's well worth while as it is quite a bit lighter than a steel dpms mag, and cheaper. The screws were $.35 each, and the tap was $5 IIRC.

What do you think?

Job well done! That would be great for bench shooting or at the range. Could you make a 10 rounder as well? If I sent you a mag, what would you charge me to build one?

I did this mod to my one and only mag tonight and it turned out great. Looks good and will chamber a round fine. Now to test it out this weekend just to make sure.

Back