Unbelievable !

1badboy

what a friggin day !
was driving early this AM for work (in NH) and come around a corner , i see 2 coyotes in the road and on the bank.
Then i catch eyes out of the corner of my eye on the opposite side of the road by the guardrails. I notice its a deer and lock up the brakes thinking its gonna jump in the road , but it doesn't and i end up stopped right beside it at 5 yards and realize its a nice buck !
So i roll down the window and it just stands there !
I pick up my jaw and realize not only is this a beauty of a buck but its injured. The buck was hobbling and fell over the guardrails , i grab a light and walk over the bank just in time to see it fall a few times and see that its whole rear end is covered in blood !
I go up and down the road thinking it was hit by a car but couldn't find any sign of it what-so-ever , and the coyotes were following this deer close !
By the looks of him i knew he wasn't going to make it long so i went and finished up some work and came back thinking i could at least salvage the horns
frown.gif

The whole time i was thinking "what a way to go , death by coyotes" :mad:
I went back a couple hours later and cut the blood trail and tracks and started tracking it (coyote tracks everywhere !), then i see movement and realize its a dam coyote !
Big blonde female , she see me and started pacing back and forth and then sat down ...
I figured he must be close and sure enough , there he was laying in the brook STILL ALIVE !
They had been trying to finish him but couldn't get at him because most of his body was in the water . He was not doing good and i sat there and watched while he took his last breathes :'(
-I would go a year without a buck if it meant i never had to see that again , IT SUCKED !
sad thing to see for sure , such an majestic animal die like that ....-
i pulled him from the river and checked him over pretty good and couldn't find anything but bite marks and his hind quarters had been hit by the yotes pretty hard , i would say almost positively the coyotes were 100% to blame for his death...
There was only a few inches of snow and this deer was a big bodied buck but was pretty run down and old ...
He was probably 180-190 pounds today but i would say 250 in August , he had the biggest feet of any buck i v ever seen !
definitely sucky situation ...
anybody that doesn't believe that coyotes kill deer are ignorant :mad:

I was only half-a$$ hunting for them this year and mostly fishing but i think its time to kills some coyotes !

coyotebuck5.jpg

coyotebuck3.jpg

coyotebuck4.jpg

I have seen this before on cattle ranches where a heifer is down having trouble calving. The coyotes are so zoned in on this that they don't care if you are there or not. Hunger outways their better judgement sometimes. Thats how they survive!!!

Originally Posted By: stupid newbieThat's why I always have a gun in the truck. At least a handgun.

i usually do but i don't have a CCL in NH and hadn't bought my NR license there yet (300 bucks)...i agree it happens in nature BUT find it hard to believe in the couple days it looks like it took for them to kill this deer , that they couldn't have killed something else to eat...
we have found multiple deer killed in deer yards around here when the snow was deep and they weren't all eaten until gone , which leads me to believe they kill not just to eat always ...

Circle of Life, nobody said it was fair.

A gun wasnt needed, ive dispatched several critters with rocks, a stick, even a knife. Whatever was at hand. ANything could made his final moments easier.

I would of went and sat up wind I bet you would have a few dead coyotes within an hour!! they don't like to leave their kills for very long, even if they know you are around!!!

the buck drowned , he wasnt completely finished by the yotes ...
I m a NR and had the company vehicle and was still on "company time" so to say , but beleive me i wish i had a gun too !
I would not leave a deer to die like that though...

Man that sucks. Surprised he was still moving and hadn't given up yet. Coyotes got to eat too though. The only way this would make me angry is if someone just saw him running and shot and hit him there, but it doesn't look like that, so all I can say is that its part of nature.

Last edited:
Nature is a bad lady for sure,hate to see a deer die like that but it happens some where every day,heck its happening right now somewhere!

At least that big buck didn't end up going thru somebody's windshield and kill a bunch of kids, or a family. I guess that would be called balance of nature too,and that really sucks. It might of been you. Being a trucker I've seen that more times than I like.

Back