Using a Coyote Decoy?

iLOVEthehunt

I am wondering how many eastern hunters use or have used a coyote decoy and what kind of success (or lack thereof) you've seen? I'm considering purchasing one, but would like some advice first.

My fiancee got me one for christmas and I used it once earlier this year. WITH SUCCESS! I had my coyote decoy about 20 yards from me and downwind of the decoy i placed my mojo critter about 5 yards from it. 30 sec. mark I had two yotes coming hard. one came all the way in to the decoys and the other hung up around 150 yards. That was my first double and super fun was it!
Ive only used it one other time bc I normally hunt alone and i already have a lot of gear to carry in BC I carry 2 guns.
but yeah they work and if set up right youll bring em in hard.

Myfirstone.jpg

This is one of the decoys I made, the other one is a white/blonde larger one. Light easy to carry. Coyote was locked onto it.

Before you buy, I would weigh the pro's and con's of a coyote decoy for your area . If you hunt open ground where the decoy can work at a distance it may help out, but if you're in thicker areas it will probably hurt if do anything.

I have used the model that sits on a stake and its formed plastic. I have used ot a few times and once a coyote locked rite on to it, circling down wind and rite to me. It kind of bulky to carry around and i rarely take it out.

They work great.I use the Edge Expedite coyote and fox decoy.They are lite weight and easy to set up.And they WORK.
IMAG0088.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using the Edge Expedite Coyote decoy for over a year with mixed results. I can't see that it's hurt any of my hunts when gunning for coyote and I've had quite a few totally focused on it when coming to the call. However, I've also had a few younger coyotes coming to a call and the moment they see the yote decoy, they pop smoke and escape and evade into the woods. I suspect younger ones are more hesitant to approach a larger coyote they don't know. If you want to have any chance of taking a fox on your hunts, leave the yote decoy in the truck. The decoy itself is aggravating as heck to tote to a stand site and the plastic stake that secures it into the ground I ended up replacing with a metal wire yard sign (like those used on campaign signs). I generally start off using it on my first few stands, then get tired to toting it around and toss it in to the bed of the truck for the remainder of the hunt.

Final advice would be to pass on the decoy and get something along the lines of a Foxpro Jack Attack or Mojo Critter. If you do decide to go with a yote decoy, also purchase a kids coonskin cap from Bass Pro and cram it into the yotes open mouth to add realism of a fresh kill.

I use the lone howler sometimes. Dont always carry it due to the weight. I think of it as just another option in the bag of tricks. I always like to mix it up, try to confuse them as much as possible. I have seen the coyotes lock onto it from hundreds of yards away, even when they dont appear to be paying any attention to the bunny blues or other sounds. Always felt like that gives me a little more room to maneuver when their focused on something besides me.

The Yote Coyote decoy by Edge Expedite is excellent, and there are many ways to use it effectively. Their red fox and fawn decoys are very realistic too. All easy to carry and easy to set up.

I have been eyeballing the lone howler myself. Undecided on carrying that thing around. The bulk of it concerns me not the weight.

Tried using two dimensional decoy on multiple occassions in MI with poor results. The wife hit a fox with her Blazer a few years ago and I think I am finally going to have a chance to try out the mounted hide this fall. I'll keep you posted. I think the three dimensional variety work much better. I have had limited success with deer decoys over the past few seasons.

Back