My first coyote got me addicted

TheChad23

So it all started in October when our local hunting education classes were starting. I've been wanting to get my hunting license for awhile but I finally got it. I'm 19 and felt kind of weird in a class of little kids but I really wanted to try hunting this year. This is my first year hunting so I thought I try some coyote hunting since it was cheaper then getting a deer tag. So I took the class and passed pretty easy.

I first took the small amount of money I had since I'm a college student and bought me a camouflage shirt, face cover, and Johnny Stewart Electronic call. I then bought my small game license and argued when my girlfriend to try and find a day to go out. So finally me and my brother, he is older and has hunted a lot. We head out to our local public hunting/fishing area, near Othello, Washington. Since my brother has been out before he new where to take me. We walked about a half a mile and set out on a small cliff that has a large open area. We stayed there for about 15 min. but no luck. So we moved on to a next stand about 200 yards further down. We set up on another smaller cliff that had other cliffs around that looked like sound could bounce off them. After about ten minutes of calling, I spotted a coyote pop out of now where. The coyote was moving in pretty fast but stopped after he spotted me shifting around since I wasn't in a comfortable position. At this time we only my dads old .22 so I was only going to take a shot if it came in at 50 yds. The coyote stopped about 100 to 125 yds and my brother told me to take a shot since it stopped. I didn't want to take a shot since the gun wasn't going to shot that far but I didn't think the coyote was going to get any closer. So I take my first shot but totally miss and the coyote doesn't even move. I try to load another bullet but my hands are too shaky since I was nervous for some reason. The coyote got away so I ended it for the day. If it wasn't for the gun I think I would of had that coyote.

So we prepare better next time and take the only other gun we have out, my brothers .270. I know it's a large gun for hunting coyotes but we don't have any money but once I get a job I think I'll be purchasing a .243. So we head out, same spot, a little sooner then before. We are set up for about 7 minutes before I spot a coyote running quickly from my left. My brother saw the coyote before me and tried letting me know by throwing the call's remote at me but I didn't want to move since I made that mistake the first time. The coyote got about 40 yds away and stops. So I adjust myself towards the coyote and expect it to run away since it looks like it is going to make run away from us. But unexpectedly it starts running towards us so I make a quick reaction and BAM, take a shot and down goes the coyote. My brother got really excited and so did I since it was my first coyote. We waited for about 5 minutes then made our way towards the coyote.

20101120103929.jpg

It was a pretty good sized coyote, female. I know that a .270 was probably too big especially at that range but know we take our shotgun with us for those kind of shots.

My brother thinks it is the coyote that I missed the first time we went out but I think it was much small then the first one. There wasn't too big of an exit wound and not too much blood. We didn't get to take this one home to skin it but I think my next one I will.

I can now call myself addicted and a new predator hunter. I plan to go out a few more times before school starts up again. In the future I plan to try learning how to use hand calls and also learn how to skin and make pelts. I have a lot more to learn and this website already has taught me so much. I hope to post more on this website and hopefully share more stories in the future.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to be honest with you. I think this is one of the absolute best posts I've ever read. Your post is what this sport is all about. There are so many things to say. Congrats on taking the hunter safety course. Always a good thing, many, many "old timers" take a course with their kids/grandsons and usually always "learn" something. It's real important that everyone be safe out there. It doesn't usually take too long talking/seeing people out there who arent. You'll know when you see/hear it. You chose to make varmints "maybe not your first choice" your first hunt and found out just how totally awesome it is. A side note here, just because you meet people who have tons of "hunting experience" doesn't mean they know a darn thing about predator hunting. The longer you hang out around here you'll learn this is a specialty. Yhea, guys can go out and kill a coyote "anytime they want too", try to do it consistenly. I have no doubt that you are now an addict, might as well started up smoking crack. This might be worse. I think your true emotions about how cool your experience was is so genuine. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to swap spit with you, I just really enjoyed reading your post. It goes to the core of what this forum/sport is all about. The raw emotion of seeing that first dog coming in thinkin, HOLY CRAP, THERE HE IS, WE REALLY CALLED HIM IN, OH MY GOD, WHAT AM I GONNA DO NOW, OH YHEA, SAFETY OFF, LINE HIM UP, OH CRAP I CAN'T CAUSE I'M SHAKING TOO BAD, OK, OK, CALM DOWN, NOPE NOT GONNA HAPPEN, OH MY GOD, UMMMMMM, SHOULD I TAKE THE SHOT, NO SHAKING TOO MUCH, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN, OH MY GOD WHY CAN'T I STOP SHAKING, OK I'M SERIOUS NOW, NO KIDDING, CALM DOWN!!! CRAP, CAN'T CALM DOWN, SCOPES MOVING ALL OVER THE PLACE, I HAVE TO SHOOT, I HAVE TO SHOOT, OH MY GOD I HAVE TO SHOOT, ALRIGHT HERE I GO, SQU...BLAM!!! DID I HIT IT, WHERE IS IT, DID IT GO DOWN, WHERE IS IT (none of this is from personal experience)... A little advice, DO NOT COME BACK TO THIS FORUM AS IT MAY BE ADDICTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your brother just keep on hunting together and get better at this. You will find it is one the best things you could ever do as brothers. Keep taking pictures and THANK YOU for sharing your experience with us, it was truly inspiring...

Stanly you hit the nail on the head. Chads post is exactly what it's all about. Just a great post to read and enjoy. Chad keep at em! Glad your addicted.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. I'm glad to share my story and glad to hear you guys like it.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderDo you guys have to wear hunter orange while coyote hunting?
I forgot to mention this but this hunt was awhile back around modern firearm deer season, which we are required to wear hunter orange, but I still wear this vest not during deer season while I'm just walking around just for safety.

Congrats! Great job & welcome to the forum!!
It can be EXTREMELY addictive!

If you are anything like me you will now try to learn everrything you can about the coyote & any other predators you may encounter.
Forums like this will be a big help with that!
Also there is a online book written by a bona fide coyote nut. He has studied everything about coyote & thier behavior.
It is all free, no registration, & you don't have to send your email or anything. He just enjoys sharing his passion!
And no, I don't get anything for you going to look.
I just use it like my coyote text book & it helped me a lot. So I thought I would share.
Science of the hunt
On the home page click on "read more" beside the photo.

Good luck & I can't wait for the next pic with the next predator!!

"JJ"

Great job and welcome. Now you are hooked, too. Read everything you can on this forum those hunting shows are fun too watch but I've learned 99% of what little I know from these guys. Everyone is more than willing to help you along.

Great job. Congrats. Now your hooked for life. Keep at even if you go throgh a period where you don't call any like I'm in now.

Right on! WTG, Chad! You've got lots of time to obtain your gear and fine tune it. Just start where you're at and go from there. I'll say most people start with deer hunting and add predators but some of us find that predator hunting becomes the sport. The rest is fun but there is ssomething special about predators! I'd invite you to read my article on the Long Range Hunting website. I think you've already learned a couple of things after only two times out but you might relate to some of the article. Here's the link... http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/coyote-hunting-gear-1.php

Welcome to the forum and the sport!

Chad, don't worry anything about your gear. Keep on using that .270 and keep knocking them down. I started with a .22 hornet and then moved to a 30-06 for a long time. Shells finally got expensive and I have since switched to the .223 once I was in the position to get one. However, the 30-06 proved itself many many times in the field and I assure you, I never had a runner with it when it connected. Good story, and get you some hand calls if you can and start wailing on them, they are pretty cheap. Here, I will get you started with a Hunter of the Month nomination.

HOM!

This thread is getting push down, but I had to say grats on that coyote. The first is something you'll remember forever and you got share that with your brother. I liked reading about the shakes. After about 23 coyotes in my short career, I can say you will still get em. I wouldn't worry about what caliber you're shooting unless you want to save the fur. And you will eventually. I started out with .30-06 because it was all I had and I'm a broke college student too. Keep the heritage alive and hunt safe. You're awsome.

Last edited:
Man O Man... that science of the hunt is grate stuff... it stopped after page 51.... were are the rest of the pages....?

Oops... never mind... I found them... AWESOME STUFF...WOW... everyone needs to read this stuff... it should be manditory for newbies...

Last edited:
Chad - Great job on the first of many.

Stanly - That sounds like an experience I had 24 years ago. I've been at it for 24 years and still get the shakes. Had to pull the trigger twice on one yesterday. Once with the safety on and the second with the safety off. Works much better the second way.

Thanks for the comments guys. Thanks for the articles, I think they'll help me a lot for hunting in the future. I've gotten a lot of advice through just this thread and I can't wait to read more from all of you experienced hunters.

Originally Posted By: stanlyI have to be honest with you. I think this is one of the absolute best posts I've ever read. Your post is what this sport is all about. There are so many things to say. Congrats on taking the hunter safety course. Always a good thing, many, many "old timers" take a course with their kids/grandsons and usually always "learn" something. It's real important that everyone be safe out there. It doesn't usually take too long talking/seeing people out there who arent. You'll know when you see/hear it. You chose to make varmints "maybe not your first choice" your first hunt and found out just how totally awesome it is. A side note here, just because you meet people who have tons of "hunting experience" doesn't mean they know a darn thing about predator hunting. The longer you hang out around here you'll learn this is a specialty. Yhea, guys can go out and kill a coyote "anytime they want too", try to do it consistenly. I have no doubt that you are now an addict, might as well started up smoking crack. This might be worse. I think your true emotions about how cool your experience was is so genuine. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to swap spit with you, I just really enjoyed reading your post. It goes to the core of what this forum/sport is all about. The raw emotion of seeing that first dog coming in thinkin, HOLY CRAP, THERE HE IS, WE REALLY CALLED HIM IN, OH MY GOD, WHAT AM I GONNA DO NOW, OH YHEA, SAFETY OFF, LINE HIM UP, OH CRAP I CAN'T CAUSE I'M SHAKING TOO BAD, OK, OK, CALM DOWN, NOPE NOT GONNA HAPPEN, OH MY GOD, UMMMMMM, SHOULD I TAKE THE SHOT, NO SHAKING TOO MUCH, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN, OH MY GOD WHY CAN'T I STOP SHAKING, OK I'M SERIOUS NOW, NO KIDDING, CALM DOWN!!! CRAP, CAN'T CALM DOWN, SCOPES MOVING ALL OVER THE PLACE, I HAVE TO SHOOT, I HAVE TO SHOOT, OH MY GOD I HAVE TO SHOOT, ALRIGHT HERE I GO, SQU...BLAM!!! DID I HIT IT, WHERE IS IT, DID IT GO DOWN, WHERE IS IT (none of this is from personal experience)... A little advice, DO NOT COME BACK TO THIS FORUM AS IT MAY BE ADDICTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your brother just keep on hunting together and get better at this. You will find it is one the best things you could ever do as brothers. Keep taking pictures and THANK YOU for sharing your experience with us, it was truly inspiring... my thoughts too stanly

Back