Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1766768 - 12/26/10 11:27 PM With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's (almost) Last Stand
Airedale56 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: WY
DoubleCK hollered at me and was in Laramie with Spud's sister Tucker from the (Stryker/Sage-Dasher's) litter after Spud's. She's 9 months old and the image of their Daddy, dark-brindle, while Spud is red-brindle colored like their momma and 16 months old.

I picked him and Tucker up in Laramie at daybreak and headed out of town into the winter wonderland. Albany County had about 10" of snow so we headed toward Platte County between Wheatland and Laramie. Called a rancher buddy and he said to come on in.

While on the way we saw this bighorn sheep ewe

and this mule deer buck

Got to the ranch and set up on our first stand. Double CK used his e-caller to really get 3 different groups to howl back. Waited a while for something to show up. Spud and Tucker played around a lot chasing each other. Purdy sat it out by me as usual.

Moved toward one of the packs and got into position overlooking a creek bottom in a canyon. Worked into their territory. Sun at our backs, breeze in our face, we sat under some trees in the shade for camo. Had one large pine between me and and an unobstructed view of the far side of the canyon.

I used a Psycho Tweety call to send some high-pitched distress calls and sat back to watch the response. Spud and Tucker were doing their thing exploring below us. Purdy was sitting just in front of me and DoubleCK. One little call was all....

I was examining the far side of the canyon and saw a gyp coyote standing about 500 yards out looking at the dogs. I told DoubleCK about her, but he couldn't see her because the pine tree blocked his view.

I wondered where the rest of her pack was and figured she was hanging back. I lowered my binocs to tell DoubleCK to watch for incoming coyotes, glanced below me and to my left just in time to see FIVE (!) coyotes come boiling out of a draw and surround Spud.

HOLY SMOKES! he looked like Colonel Custer on a little knob surrounded by advancing coyoes out for his scalp! They fanned out and surrounded him, tails held high, ears back and closing. Tucker was not in sight. I think she was above and behind Spud.

The regal dog-king, Spud, stood his ground; swole up with hair on end and ready to do battle. His Destiny was to vanquish his foe. Bared teeth, dripping with venomous hatred for the interloper in their territory, the five stalked ever closer. Their god had sent them a victim to be sacrificed on the sacred knob... ever closer the five... (edited for drama, just watched "300" again)

It looked like Spud was gonna take a wuppin' or even be a goner. We, the vanguard of Spud's army must act without delay!(Okay, "300" mode off) DoubleCK was on my right and swung toward them. I told him to hold up and dragged Purdy out of his line-of-fire.

His Ruger .223 spoke and he hammered the one that was nose-to-nose with Spud. The coyote collapsed at the shot and the other 4 were headed back to the creek bottom at Mach 1. I swear Spud cast a grateful glance up our way.

I barked and one stopped, showing me his right side. I centered the reticle of my Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 Tactical Mil-dot on my 700VS carbine .223 on his shoulder. The Hornady 55V-max sped toward its mark and impacted behind the shoulder. He went down, looked like an instant kill, but he layed there and Ki-Yi'ed for about 5 seconds.

Meanwhile the other three headed off to an important meeting they had forgotten about. We waited about a half an hour, expecting them to show up to look for their brothers, but they never returned.

Spud and Tucker came up to us, relief on his face. The first coyote down was flagging his tail. Spud went down to investigate and Purdy went with him. They played tug of war and shake the coyote. We walked down and got Tucker to get involved. DoubleCK shook the coyote and encouraged her to grab hold and she did! She did a great job.

I got Purdy and Spud to go with me, cast them downwind of the coyote I shot, told them to find that coyote. Spud was ahead and as soon as he hit the scent he turned left and burned straight in, grabbing the chest and crunching down hard. Purdy of course had to take it away from him. She gets a bit possessive of coyotes.

We posed our coyotes and the dogs and took some hero shots to share with you guys. DoubleCK will post some more when he gets home.

Hope you enjoy these. First time out with DoubleCK. Great guy to hunt with!

Tucker, Spud and Purdy

Edited by Airedale56 (12/27/10 10:23 AM)

#1766777 - 12/26/10 11:34 PM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: Airedale56]
seacowboy Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Arlington, VA
Great story and pics. Some fine looking dogs you got.

#1766809 - 12/26/10 11:54 PM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: seacowboy]
bigsky_songdogs Offline
PM senior

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice dogs (the dead one and the live ones) smile

God prefers kind athiests over hateful christians!

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.-Albert Einstein

#1766852 - 12/27/10 12:42 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: bigsky_songdogs]
mtcurman Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Montana
Great story and pictures! Good job! smile

#1766873 - 12/27/10 01:10 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: mtcurman]
okbow68 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: okla
good looking airedale

#1766914 - 12/27/10 02:27 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: Airedale56]
stanly Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Alaska
Holy Cow Man!! That last picture is just awesome. I laughed out loud. I'd have that one framed. The look on the dogs faces is priceless. They must be well trained to have them sit still for the pic with the yotes laying there. Congrats...

#1766936 - 12/27/10 05:26 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: stanly]
Rubenator Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland,Il.
Cool story.

#1766959 - 12/27/10 07:35 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: Rubenator]
cmiddleton Offline
PM senior

Loc: Mills Wy USA
cool nice pics and story

#1766996 - 12/27/10 08:48 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: cmiddleton]
Straightline Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: South Western Pennsylvania
Great story!

#1767030 - 12/27/10 09:37 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: Airedale56]
howling Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: Airedale56
DoubleCK hollered at me and was in Laramie with Spud's sister Tucker from the (Stryker/Sage-Dasher's) litter after Spud's. She's 9 months old and the image of their Daddy, dark-brindle, while Spud is red-brindle colored like their momma and 16 months old.

I picked him and Tucker up in Laramie at daybreak and headed out of town into the winter wonderland. Albany County had about 10" of snow so we headed toward Platte County between Wheatland and Laramie. Called a rancher buddy and he said to come on in.

While on the way we saw this bighorn sheep ewe

and this mule deer buck

Got to the ranch and set up on our first stand. Double CK used his e-caller to really get 3 different groups to howl back. Waited a while for something to show up. Spud and Tucker played around a lot chasing each other. Purdy sat it out by me as usual.

Moved toward one of the packs and got into position overlooking a creek bottom in a canyon. Worked into their territory. Sun at our backs, breeze in our face, we sat under some trees in the shade for camo. Had one large pine between me and and an unobstructed view of the far side of the canyon.

I used a Psycho Tweety call to send some high-pitched distress calls and sat back to watch the response. Spud and Tucker were doing their thing exploring below us. Purdy was sitting just in front of me and DoubleCK. One little call was all....

I was examining the far side of the canyon and saw a gyp coyote standing about 500 yards out looking at the dogs. I told DoubleCK about her, but he couldn't see her because the pine tree blocked his view.

I wondered where the rest of her pack was and figured she was hanging back. I lowered my binocs to tell DoubleCK to watch for incoming coyotes, glanced below me and to my left just in time to see FIVE (!) coyotes come boiling out of a draw and surround Spud.

HOLY SMOKES! he looked like Colonel Custer on a little knob surrounded by advancing coyoes out for his scalp! They fanned out and surrounded him, tails held high, ears back and closing. Tucker was not in sight. I think she was above and behind Spud.

Spud was all swole up, hair on end and ready to do battle. DoubleCK was on my right and swung toward them. I had to tell him to hold up and dragged Purdy out of his line-of-fire.

The Ruger .223 spoke and he hammered the one that was nose-to-nose with Spud. The coyote collapsed at the shot and the other 4 were headed back to the creek bottom at Mach 1. I swear Spud cast a grateful glance up our way.

I barked and one stopped, showing me his right side. I centered the reticle of my Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40 Tactical Mil-dot on my 700VS carbine .223 on his shoulder. The Hornady 55V-max sped toward its mark and impacted behind the shoulder. He went down, looked like an instant kill, but he layed there and Ki-Yi'ed for about 5 seconds.

Meanwhile the other three headed off to an important meeting they had forgotten about. We waited about a half an hour, expecting them to show up to look for their brothers, but they never returned.

Spud and Tucker came up to us, relief on his face. The first coyote down was flagging his tail. Spud went down to investigate and Purdy went with him. They played tug of war and shake the coyote. We walked down and got Tucker to get involved. DoubleCK shook the coyote and encouraged her to grab hold and she did! She did a great job.

I got Purdy and Spud to go with me, cast them downwind of the coyote I shot, told them to find that coyote. Spud was ahead and as soon as he hit the scent he turned left and burned straight in, grabbing the chest and crunching down hard. Purdy of course had to take it away from him. She gets a bit possessive of coyotes.

We posed our coyotes and the dogs and took some hero shots to share with you guys. DoubleCK will post some more when he gets home.

Hope you enjoy these. First time out with DoubleCK. Great guy to hunt with!

Tucker, Spud and Purdy

Which one is Purdy?unsure

#1767040 - 12/27/10 09:57 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: howling]
Airedale56 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: WY
The Purdy dog is the Airedale. Y'all have have got to say it with an Oklahoma accent...."She shore is a Purdy dog"

Edited by Airedale56 (12/27/10 04:44 PM)

#1767070 - 12/27/10 10:26 AM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: Airedale56]
Dasher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Idaho
Looks like a great time. They sure look like a good team also. Love to see those pictures. She is a Purdy dog w00t> Good to here from you guys. Keep it up.
The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug.
W C Brann

#1767179 - 12/27/10 12:07 PM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: Dasher]
tt35 Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: E Oregon
I love the "Hero" shot! That's too cool!

#1767255 - 12/27/10 01:50 PM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: howling]
yfzduner450 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Jordan, Utah
Great Story and pics!!

#1767353 - 12/27/10 03:36 PM Re: With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's Last Stand (almost) [Re: yfzduner450]
howling Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Indiana
I kept hearing about Airedales on here just never seen one so looks like the dogs done well. Good photos as well and keep after them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.