Big coon hunt!!!! (sort of long with pics)

mtcurman

Hey everyone!! We had a big time the last two and a half days!
wink.gif
A friend of our's,Trevor,who has a pup from our litter,and his friend Taylor,came out with his two hounds and Trigger(the pup).
Friday. Day 1.
Well,Taylor and Trevor got here and got settled in,and they,my brother Nash,and I,decided to go catfishing in the musselshell. We didn't catch anything worth keeping,I caught 2 goldeneye,and Nash caught some little catfish.
4493343541_39b6ab5850.jpg

After a while and no more fish,we went back to the house,ate supper and got ready for the hunt. It got dark and out we went. We loaded up Cap Rountree,who's my pup,Tug,Nash's pup,Trigger,Trevor's pup,Sandy,the mother of the pups,and Luna,Trevor's Black and Tan. We drove over to a big field that had big cottonwoods and the river along beside it. We headed for the woods with all the curs loose and Luna on a leash. We walked and walked,and were taking a break when we heard Sandy tree!
w00t.gif
We started over to her,and spotted the coon up in the tree. Dad decided to walk it out,in other words,he was going to shoot around it and graze it in the butt with .22 CB caps and get it mad and make it want to come down and fight. Well,he did and the dogs were throwing a fit!! The coon got down and we cut the dogs loose!! They hit that coon on the ground and rolled under an old log,snarling,yelping,and growling! The coon made a dash for the river which was only a few yards away. Then the dogs got in and they all started fighting around in the water. The coon made a break from them. Dad took a shot at it once it was away from the dogs. The .22 bullet must have hit the water,because it didn't stop the coon at all. He went to take another shot,but "click"! His BL-22 was empty! Trevor grabbed up a big stick,and him and Taylor,who I might add had been videoing the whole thing,ran across the knee deep water to get it. Trevor caught up to the coon,and wacked it two good ones!
thumbup1.gif
They came victoriously back across with coon in tow!
smile.gif
We let the pups chew on it to get a good taste for coon. Sorry,but I don't have any pics from that tree.
angry.gif
Oh,well. We started away from there to hopefully tree another. Sandy treed in a den tree,but we didn't find it. We went back to the house to warm up and dry off before heading back out. We headed back out but didn't get anything. Here's a picture of the coonhunters.
thumbup.gif

From left to right: Nash and Tug,me and Cap,Dad,Trevor and Trigger,Taylor,and you kind of see Sandy.
smile.gif

4493980662_a96950dc40.jpg

Saturday. Day 2.
We slept in that morning from being out so late. We woke up,ate breakfast,and decided to go fishing again. Trevor caught a nice Sauger. It was delicious!
laugh.gif
We started gearing up for the hunt. We went to new spot this time. We went through the same field,but we went to a spot about 4 or 5 miles up the river. We walked and walked and walked some more! Trevor brought his Walker hound Bandit this time. After about an hour and a half,we reached some big old cottonwoods. About a half an hour later,Sandy treed! We went to the tree,and Dad tried to walk this one out the same way. Problem was,he couldn't really tell which end was which and accidentaly killed it. Killing it wasn't the problem,the problem was the coon got lodged on a big limb,and no matter what we did,he wouldn't come unlodged.
thumbdown.gif
We were pretty upset. We headed away from that tree. We walked a little more,when we heard Sandy choppin' up a tree!
w00t.gif
Maybe we could redeem ourselves after all!
thumbup.gif
We went over to her,and couldn't find the coon for nuthin'. We were all set to go find another coon,when Trevor saw it!! We looked and sure enough,it was a big old coon tail! Dad shot that sucker out,and all dogs were on it in an instant!!
4493984326_4b3c3e2428.jpg

4493347853_b436362f65.jpg

4493987708_50d137d407.jpg

Well,we were glad to have another coon on the ground.

4493350795_934773abf9.jpg

Trevor had his hunting pack with him and strapped the coon onto it.

4493351609_f2fc70ecc9.jpg

We headed back to the truck. The 5 mile hike took quite a while! We got plenty of breaks in!!
lol.gif

4493983040_a9a81c2cd3.jpg

We finally got back to the truck,got the dogs loaded up and headed for the house.
smile.gif

Sunday. Day 3.
Well day three was easter,so Trevor's Mom and Dad were coming to pick him and Taylor up. They wanted a picture of them,Trigger and the two coons.
smile.gif

4493990688_8f3a815945.jpg

How about the shorts and Muck boots,eh?!
lol.gif
All in all,we all had a blast! Taylor and Trevor so much fun they want to do it every month!! Fine with me,I had a blast!!
thumbup.gif

Thanks for reading,Ben

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You my young friend, know how to narrate a story!
Excellent job on the write up as well as the hunt!
Keep up the great work and lets see that video!
Rick H...

Thanks Rick! I'd love to post the video,but it wasn't taken on our camera,so it's not here.
frown.gif
Sorry. I would if I could.
smile.gif

Ben

You get my vote Ben for HOM great story and pictures
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif
. I like that Musselshell country a lot I got to spend some time there last year working at the mine expansion by Roundup, wish I would have had more time for exploring.
Keep up the good stories
grin.gif

Tim

Back