A few pics from today's hunt.

TonyTebbe

What a fun day of calling today. Yesterday, my client Bruce and I spent the day fighting 30mph winds on a couple of ranches. We ended up calling and killing 1 coyote in the conditions. Everything was shut down from the wind.

Today, the weather broke and was calm. We decided to head back to the same ranches and virtually call the same stands. We were both intrigued to see if we could do it. It paid off!

Here's some pics:

The name says it all...
tatum1.jpg

We focused on an area that is rolling sand hills, covered with brush oak. The coyotes use the sand hills for daytime bedding areas and we slipped into their bedrooms and woke them up.
sandhills1.jpg

First stand, had this hard charging female in about 4 mins. She checked up on a sand hill about 150 yards. She spotted Dixie and went directly into chase mode. She didn't make it halfway across our setup before Bruce put her down.
brucefirstonedown1.jpg

Ran across this old coyote den.
oldden.jpg

Bruce and Gunner on stand.
gunnerbruceonstand1.jpg

Third stand, this female was coming in hard. I held the dogs back, as she was fixing to run right into us. She broke to the left to try and get our downwind. Bruce rolled her up/
brucesecondonedown.jpg

Dixie on stand.
dixieonstandstare1.jpg

Dixie spots a coyote.
dixiestare.jpg

Gunner gets a deep gash from a coyote. Later in the day, he gets a matching one on the top of the head from a huge male. I've got him doctored up now.
gunner302gash.jpg

More in next post...

BTT for HOM nomination...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dixie learning what inquisitive antelope are.
dixieantelope1.jpg

If I was an antelope guide, we could of filled 100+ tags today. All animals were on the move and we saw quite a few really big bucks.
dixieantelope2.jpg

Bruce, Gunner and Dixie with the third coyote.
brucegunnerdixie.jpg

A sure sign that Spring is here.
springcoming1.jpg

The fourth coyote was a huge male that came charging around the sand hill and about ran into my leg. I could here him like a Thoroughbred horse. Dixie took off after him, until I beeped her back. From there, the coyote charged after her and right back into our set. He died, but not before putting a whooping on Gunner's head. He's all doctored up now and sleeping like a log.

brucefour.jpg

All in all, we hand called up 10 coyotes. 4 ended up on the fur rack, 3 were missed, and others got away while their partner dropped. What a dramatic change from yesterday!

It felt great to have a 15 year predator hunting veteran, one who has been on multiple African safaris, taking elephant, lion, multiple leopards, multiple cape buffalo, and a bunch of plains game....say that this is one of his best days of hunting. I'm just glad the dang wind finally stopped and game was back on!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thought I'd share...

Tony

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tony,
Gunner is just the BOMB! You can just see in his eyes that he is just pumped. It must be a blast to watch him work as often as you do. Pretty special!

Tony, That left facing profile shot of Dixie sure shows the Jagd stamp on her. She's put together really nice.

We may want to talk about an import Jagd male we've got, in a couple years, if thats the direction you decide to go with her.

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20Do you have to go farther away to find new places to call after taking that many this yr?

No. I just rotate my properties, giving them a 1 month cooling period, before calling it again. This was the 3rd time I hit this property. The first time we hit it, we called 18 coyotes before midday.

It had been about 2 months since I was back on this ranch. During the planning stages of this clients hunt, I talked with the rancher and found out he was calving. I wanted to make sure we hit it good and hard.

Tony

Back