4 dog day!. 35 degree temps!!

getemclose

Weather this morning was way to warm for my liking!. Temps were already around 20 degrees when I left the house!. in my experience I have my best luck in sub zero temps
smile.gif
. Oh well, atleast I would be calling in comfort
lol.gif

Marty, my calling partner packed up and headed to the vikings game for the weekend, I had high school basketball games thursday, Friday, and Saturday, which left Today as my designated "dog day". I couldnt wait
smile.gif

1st 2 stands drew blanks with nothing more than a brief challenge howl war with an old male. unfortunately he would not commit, oh well, next time..

The 3rd set was a "perfect" set, in fact it was so good my dad decided he would come along, You see he doesnt like me hunting alone so much, therfore he came along today. I usually make stands by myself while he waits at the truck, but this spot was GOOD
smile.gif

We were calling some HILLY country with a small pond surrounded by cattails. I set my dad up on a rock overlooking the ice, I had a good feeling this was were ol' wiley would make his fatal appearance. I set up on a knoll overlooking the backdoor and let the foxpro rip.

10 minutes in I switch to my secret sound and A HARD charger bombs off the hill onto the ice.. This was my dads cue, he flopped on his belly and introduced the coyote to a 50 grain vmax to the head. Good work dad!.

its noon, and we have 1 in the truck. Time to get after it.
2dds.jpg
my dad with his second called in dog. I think he is getting the addiction
smile.gif

We head up the road and I have a feeling these hills hold another dog. I head over a knoll with the sun at my back and set up overlooking a brushy stubble field. 99% of guys I think would pass this spot, but I know these coyotes like these areas for mice. I hit the call and Immediatly A old male pops up from his nap at around 250. I lip squeak him to 100 yards and settle the cross hairs on his neck.. 2 dogs down.. 35 degress out, heck this isnt so bad.

dd23s-1.jpg

We take some photos and head a few miles up the road to another good looking area. We spot 30-40 deer out feeding and I have a feeling these coyotes are close bye. I head into a An old farmstead and slip out the backside of it, overlooking some rolling hills with brush thickets. There IS a coyote out here. I start with a female Inv. howl and get a response, I pick up my binos and see A dog sitting on his butt at around 800 yards. He looks tough!. I challenge howl and here he comes
smile.gif
. Now lately I have not been using a bi-pod, sticks or anything!. Just my gun and me!. The dog is coming hard and I decided to see how ballsy he really is
lol.gif
I let him come to 10 yards Before he sees me and bolts sideways, sorry sir, 30 yards running I roll him, He never had a prayer..

( No pic of this dog until the Final shot)

We scout out some new territory and try a few blank stands, With light fading we head to a "cherry" pasture that has good sign. tracks AND scat. I like it
smile.gif

My dad comes along on this set, as we are watching alot of real estate. My dad sets up by the caller while I watch the back door from a high! vantage point... This is perfect!. I start with a howl and get 2-3 responses. cool.

I switch to a distress sound, and immediatly a NICE red fox pokes his head up at 350! coming in.. At around 300 he hangs up and then high tails it out.. hmmm? I have a hunch already
smile.gif

After a few minutes of my secret sound I turn and see a dog slithering to my left from the cattle, BAD idea sir!. I start I hit the lip squeak on the foxpro and this coyote is committed! He just doesnt realize I have him cut off from his free meal
smile.gif
.. He pops over a small knoll at 50 yards. I settle the cross hairs on his head and squeeze the trigger, He didnt even flinch.

4 dog day in the 35 degree heat!. Ill take it
smile.gif

4dd.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you are young and with fourty more years of calling ahead of you, anything is possible. I do have a question, do you have any cats where you are at?

Another great story Mitch. I'm like you, the warm days turn into muddy messes this time of year, but looks like you made the best of it.

Keep it up with the howls, they're going to respond better and better now that breeding season is getting close.

Think of it like this: Imagine taking the prettiest girl in your high school to the prom. All is good until you have to go to the bathroom and upon returning, another guy is whispering sweet nothings in her ear. You'd be by her side with a big can of whip a.... in a flash. That's exactly what the howls are doing to the males this time of year. I get very few females from this point on.

Good way of looking at it mike.

I agree with the howls, I have had my best luck from now on in the past. Heck I have called in and killed dogs with 1 single howl.

thanks.

Good job Mitch, glad to see that you went out on that Indian Summer day, lol. I wish we would get some snow around here. Good to see that you and your dad are spending some QUALITY time together. Hope all of your studies and basketball are doing just as well as your coyote hunting. Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming.

Back