What's been your experience with Game Wardens???

Posted by: yotehunter57

What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 09:01 AM

My experiences have all been very positive, with them just doing their jobs, like checking fishing liscenses.

Before he retired, I worked with one to stop "Road hunting" in my area. At one time it was so bad, jerks would stop in front of your house and shoot out of the window.
There are peeple who don't like me for it, but I really don't care what they think.

Shayne
Posted by: dog1whckr

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 11:12 AM

Everyone I have ever encountered(for the first time) act and look like your a violator. Even after you get to know them they SEEM to be questioning your behavior; even if you are the most honest sportsmen out there. Give me the impression they are more cop than the civilian version. Maybe I just look like a violator to them.
Posted by: HardwickN

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 11:16 AM

its always hit or miss with me. have ran into some real A holes and other just out doing thier job. some have even pointed me in a direction of game.
Posted by: CSM52

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 07:44 PM

Around here they are either excelent to deal with and talk to and others well....they thing their badge is a safegaurd and let them do anything.
Posted by: fw707

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: HardwickN
its always hit or miss with me. have ran into some real A holes and other just out doing thier job. some have even pointed me in a direction of game.

That seems to be a common opinion. Some are good guys, and some are real "A holes".

So let me ask a question:

Are all of the Troopers or deputies that stop you for speeding or running a stop sign "good guys", or are some of them "A holes"?
Posted by: DesertRam

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 10:00 PM

My experience with NM game wardens have all be positive. I've probably had personal encounters with wardens a dozen times over the years and have had no issues. "How's it going, seen anything, had any luck, what are they biting on, can I take a look at your license, have a good day." My one encounter with a WY game warden was likewise not unpleasant.

Some work "harder" to find something wrong to give you a hard time over, but I've never had one really go on the attack.
Posted by: GC

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 10:10 PM

I think they are all human and as such are subject to the failings of the human race as a whole. Guess Iíve been pretty lucky; I havenít had any bad encounters with any of our Missouri Conservation Agents. I have worked closely with some of them professionally and I have been checked while hunting and fishing when they didnít know me from Adam and I have always been treated professionally. The only outdoor specific officer I have ever felt had a bit of an attitude was a U.S. Forest Service Ranger. As it was he recognized me and knew where I worked, he had been ďlet goĒ from my agency several years before and I am quite sure that had everything to do with his attitude. There wasnít a problem this was just a routine check while my dad and I cleaned some game in the field but when he realized who I was he immediately stiffened up. He moved on quickly and it was a non-issue other than my dad commented how awkward the encounter seemed. That was the human factor within the Forest Ranger; it certainly wasnít on my end as I hardly knew the guy.
Posted by: wvyotehunter68

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 10:11 PM

I had a bad encounter with one I was looking at deer with a light (spotlighting) I had no weapons or anything that could be used for killing. In the tuck. I was outside my vehicle looking at deer. Well the gamewarden saw me and I guess he needs to reread the laws because what I was doing was completly legal. Well to make the story short I was not charged for anything I was right he was wrong. He acted like a. Towards me the whole time
Posted by: Tbone-AZ

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/26/13 10:12 PM

I have had good experiences, most of the time they tell me where they have seen coyotes.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/28/13 09:27 AM

no thats just out doing their jobs. some are A Holes about it and some are cool about it. If Im breaking the law then Im breaking the law. I expect to get a ticket or at least a warning. But I Have had one treat me like I was breaking the law when I wasnt. That is what I ment about being an A Hole. Some LEO are out there to burn any one and every one they can. Some give people the benifite of the dought that hey maybe it truely was an accident or they just tuely did misunder stand the gray areas.

I have only ever ran into one that was being a real A. He thought we were breaking the law. it was a very very gray are in the law book. I called headquarters and explained the situation. he wasnt to happy that I went above his head but every one around knew that he was a real stickler for that small print stuff and always had his own interpratation of what the book said. Needless to say we didnt get ticketed. All other have always been very friendly and just out doing their jobs. I have no problem with that as I cant stand people who have no regards for the law.
Posted by: brained

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/28/13 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: fw707

That seems to be a common opinion. Some are good guys, and some are real "A holes".

Are all of the Troopers or deputies that stop you for speeding or running a stop sign "good guys", or are some of them "A holes"?

Agreed. My experience is there isn't an in between either. As far as troopers, have dealt with a few (little right foot heavy occasionally), they have all seemed to be stern, but fair, very serious, as they should be, generally not a holes though.

Common LEO, I had a few run ins in my younger days, they were hit and miss, some were a holes, some were stern but fair, and others were real cool.

Other peoples experiences I'm sure differ.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/28/13 02:21 PM

It deppends on their demeaner. you can have a boss that is a realy A. and you can have one that is stern. there is very much so a diffrence between an A$* and some one who is stern and professional. some act like you have already broken the law and your on Americas most wanted list and others are just out doing thier job. checking to make sure you are legal and not breaking the law.
Posted by: Redfrog

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/28/13 02:31 PM

I have always been borderline crazy about hunting and fishing,as well as guiding for years, so I've met a lot of game wardens.

I've found thenm to be like all the hunters I've met. Some friendly, some not so much, some a total disgrace to the job and some so helpful they were like lifelong friends. In fact some have become lifelong friends.

I have met some that were just incompetent and others who were just high on authority. I have a few good stories both good and bad that still make me smile.

For the most part they have been like any one else doing a job.
Posted by: catcapper

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/29/13 10:43 AM

The bunny cops here are godlike--- mainly revenuers for the state.
Posted by: yotehunter57

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/29/13 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: dog1whckr
Everyone I have ever encountered(for the first time) act and look like your a violator. Even after you get to know them they SEEM to be questioning your behavior; even if you are the most honest sportsmen out there. Give me the impression they are more cop than the civilian version. Maybe I just look like a violator to them.

When I was younger we had one that was a major AAAA=HOLE. He would have loaded your gun and held the light to get you to poach a deer.

When the GW that I worked with to stop the road hunting by my house retired, it took a lttle while with the new guys, to get them on board with me.
Now they know if I call them, it's over something potentially dangerous, like the road huntng or spotlighting deer, where a person or house could get shot.

Shayne
Posted by: littledawg

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/29/13 01:53 PM

The idea is to make as many contacts as possible during routine patrols. The good ones will be friendly and handout cards with their personal cell number. They know they can't be everywhere and enlist the help of the public to inform them of suspicious activity. GW or any Leo for that matter cannot and will not catch violators w/o the publics help. Be an ahole and nobody will help.

With that said you must keep in mind the age of the GW. The younger they are the more prone they are to "know it all". Especially fresh out of college and the police academy. They are no different than your own kids. The seasoned GW will tend to be more skillful during routine contacts. He won't get to high or too low and it's never personal.

Just like any person (Leo or not) they all have their own pedujuce and life experience. What may be a serious violation to one is only a minor thing to another.

The newer the GW the more likely he is to view a violation as a personal attack. He takes ownership and the public perception is that he acts like he owns the animals. Most of the time he has no idea this is how he is coming across.

Just some thoughts to keep in mind during your next encounter....
Posted by: Savagenut

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/29/13 11:43 PM

..Years ago, in my wilder days, I had an encounter with a GW who had been around for several years. Two other guys were with me, and we all got tickets. We were in the wrong, and the GW did his job without much fuss, without acting like it was a personal insult to him.

Since then, I have made sure I was in the right, and have had no problems. (Strange, that if you're not doing something wrong, or something that LOOKS wrong, you won't have too many problems.)

Anyhow, the local GW we have is a really decent guy. If you're in the wrong, he will write you up, no doubt about it. If you are just out hunting, and you aren't throwing up any red flags, you have no problem. He's helpful if you have questions, and he likes to see kids have a good hunt. He doesn't have an "attitude", at least, in my encounters with him.

All in all, a credit to his department.
Posted by: wvyotehunter68

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/30/13 10:26 PM

I've deer hunted with one one time that gw seemed to be a nice guy. Come to think I forgot to even fill out a field tag for the deer I shot. He didn't even say a word about it. I think its really who you no most of the time I was hunting with 4 cops that day to. Which my relative was one of them. But like in my recent post some are just aholes. I'm pretty sure if I had a 8 point buck with 19 inch spread sitting in the back of my truck with no field tag filled out I woulda been fined and had the deer taken away if it was a gamewarden that had no idea who I was. 99 percent of the time I fill one out heck I've even used the tip of my bullet to fill them out before when I had nothing else to write with. But that day I was just so wound up I forgot to.
Posted by: borkon

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/31/13 07:49 AM

we had a King Scat warden here 30 years ago. crabby all the time.
since he retired, i've never had a bad encouter.
our local CO is a heck of a nice guy and even the few guys i know that have been ticketed have said so.
Posted by: Longnkrnch

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/12/13 12:37 PM

I have been checked many times over the years and have yet to run into a warden that was less than courteous and professional. Have had some long and friendly conversations with a few and gotten a few tips. Just last season had a new guy give me permission to use my 4 wheeler to retrieve deer when killed (guess he noticed I wasn't a spring chicken). One warden/ biologist that checked me years ago and is now retired is a good friend. I have never had to deal with an A hole warden and hope I never do. I do my best to stay legal but mistakes can always happen.
Posted by: Mr Benelli

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/12/13 09:13 PM

99 percent of the time it has been positive. Twice I have been stopped and the first words out of their mouth were curse words and not Hello. Each time was a different Warden and they thought I was hunting turkeys out of season. When I was actually hunting crows in season. Now they felt stupid!

Months later I learned one of the wardens was transferred later as a result of harassing a deer hunter.

My advice to anyone is when you meet them let them walk to you, make sure your gun is safe, and let them do "all" the talking. I had a friend one time walk to the warden and the warden wrote him a ticket for a loaded firearm less than 150 ft from the road. You would be surprised how many states have hunting laws/local laws/bylaws/federal laws that are not in the State Hunting regulation guidebooks.

At one time I had hunting licenses in 5 states and the worst state I would say is PA for the Wardens. They have some type of part time or deputize wardens. They pay particular attention to people from out of state = More revenue. Had several opening day deer hunts ruined with license checks. Funny thing is they already ran the truck registration and verified the hunting license was valid before they even approached me.
Posted by: Rocky1

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/12/13 11:00 PM

Have known the warden in my hometown in ND for nearly 30 years. Hasn't ever once asked for my license. Locals he's got a list printed out of who purchased/received what licenses, and knows if you're legal.

Ex's cousin was living in Arizona and moved back to ND over the summer, one year. Applied for a resident license in both states. That didn't go over good! But the warden found him before he ever went to the field and told him, that was a definite no-no!! Said if he found him in the field hunting on a resident license in ND, while in possession of a resident AZ license, he would be ticketed. Hence the knowledge of his printed list of locals!! Small town, he knew Danny had just moved back, caught the resident license, and decided to check AZ just because. He does his job, does it well, otherwise friendly, cordial, frequently helpful. Let's you know where the fish are biting, let's you know where he's seen waterfowl coming in, let's you know where he's seen a nice buck or two. Great guy.

Met a Federal Warden over a buck I killed on a Waterfowl Production Area, couple years ago. Nicest guy you ever wanted to meet! Had my tag in my coat pocket and it had warmed up considerably, so I took my jacket off and left it in my jeep when we started the walk. So NO tag on me when I shot the buck. Made sure I grabbed it when I went back to retrieve the deer with the other truck. He told us it really should have been tagged before moving it the 30 yards up the hill, but didn't get real excited about it. Told us others might however. Handed me his pen and told me to sign the tag I forgot to sign as well. Then made sure I cut out the date properly. In that I'd jumped in the other truck, one of the guys' license was still in my jeep, and he hauled him up there to check that. Thanked us for being so patient and cordial in dealing with all his questions and the license checks, congratulated me on taking an awesome buck, and was on his way. Really a nice guy to deal with, was actually a very pleasant experience.
Posted by: 5spd

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/15/13 11:53 PM

The only one I met out here in the field so far was alright.
I was near my antelope spot at still pretty dark AM as I have to walk 3/4 mile to my spot before daylight hits and saw a truck a mile ahead of me as I pulled off the dirt road on a knoll and the headlights shined up into the sky. He came up the road and pulled in behind me and I was thinking who the heck is this idiot. I thought it was a road hunter until after he pulled up behind me where I was parked in a depression.
It was a game warden and he said he saw spot lights. I said not a chance that was my headlights you saw and you may have a look into my truck to check if you want. He said no but let me see your tags etc.
I said I will have a light to walk in the dark as per regulations. No problem, just be carefull & that was it.
He was out looking for early pre-opening hour shooters.
Posted by: JCL

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/27/13 10:45 PM

My son is a Wyoming game warden who puts in long days especially during hunting season. He worked 45 days straight last fall. He admitted that by the end he was a little less sympathetic than at the start. He loves his job. He has met all kinds of hunters and the vast majority are great folks. But every so often he finds one or two that are difficult and lie to avoid getting a fine. So if that warden questions your story don't take it personally. He is just doing his job.

I have met many wardens myself and have had positive experiences. They have a tough job and Im glad their doing it.
Posted by: SkyPup

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/06/13 06:03 PM

We work with the game wardens on our hog hunts on public land, they are absolutely awesome!

If you want to know where the game is and how to track it, ask your local game warden! grin
Posted by: bignasty

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/08/13 07:57 PM

never had any issues

I use to work with them while I was in the coast guard we had their back and they covered ours
Posted by: villagelights

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/12/13 10:09 AM

In 7 decades, the first 3 of which were rawther ... shall we say ... spirited?.. I've run into a fair number of LEO's. The vast majority were just doing their jobs the best they could. Only a few are predators.
Posted by: Orneryolfart357

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/12/13 11:14 AM

In the last 7 years I have only been checked by a Warden once. It was this year during Deer season. I went with friends but only to hunt Bobcats and Coyotes. When He asked to see My Deer tags, I explained that I had none, but reached into the front of My Coveralls and pulled out My lanyard with calls. He was very nice, and wished Me luck saying " I hope you get some of those fawn killers". He was a real nice fellow.
Posted by: Rock Knocker

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/13/13 08:10 PM

I got yelled at once by the MNDNR but I held my ground firm and ended up not in trouble.

Me and two friends were out in a state forest shooting some guns at cans and other targets. We had a hand gun a couple shotguns and my AR-15.

The year before this encounter I had talked to the park ranger and he said it was perfectly fine and he even showed me on the map the best place to go. I had shot there a couple other times.

Right as we were finishing our shooting we hear a guy yelling for us to drop our weapons. We do and a couple game wardens come walking through the forest, quite upset. Screaming about what I was doing and telling me I was going to kill someone. I was shooting 30 yards down hill into another hill...

I stood my ground and told them I talked to the ranger and I had also called the DNR the weekend before to make sure, and they said it was perfectly ok. We discussed back and forth for a couple minutes but our targets and our empty shells were clearly accounted for and we were breaking no laws. Our shooting was already done and they escorted us out and when we got to their vehicle they checked our records and let us go.

Other than that I have only had my fishing license checked twice, no problems. I've even considered going to school to become a DNR officer.
Posted by: The Famous Grouse

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/29/13 12:49 PM

It's been really positive as far as actual Conservation Officers here in Minnesota.

We did have one really funny--well, funny after the fact, anyway--incident while out pheasant hunting in Western MN. My uncle has a few thousan acres of farmland out there and we were working a CRP patch that borders a well-traveled tar county road. The wardens must cruise this road because we get checked almost evey year while hunting this piece.

So we just got through the CRP, one rooster, and back to the truck and a green pickup truk stops on the highway. Yep, right on time.

Conservation officer pulls up, no problem, whatever. Same guy that checked us the last 3 years. I told him we were worried he wasn't going to show up. He gets out holding a clip board.

It was at this point that the encouter went downhill somewhat. We happend to have borrowed one of my uncle's labs to take with us. Blaze is the nicest, most even tempered, best-with-children dogs ever and she'll gladly hunt for anyone.

But there was a problem. A couple of years before, the substitute UPS driver had decided to leave a package in the machine shop as my uncle wasn't home. He got all the way into the dark shop before flipping on the lights and discovering he was surrounded by 6-7 labs who were not really aggressive, but on edge because they didn't recognize him. So he clocked Blaze with a clipboard as he ran out the door.

So here we are, out in the field, with a dog that unknown to us, has a huge grudge for ANYONE in a brown uniform with a clipboard. Yeah. You can see where this is headed.

Sadly, there could be but one outcome. Blaze sees the warden get out of the truck and goes on the offensive. The full deal, growling, snarling, teeth showing, hair up. The warden jumps into the back of the truck and Blaze keeps him "treed".

It fell to me to say to immortal lines to the warden, "Drop the clipboard, sir, and put your hands in the air."

Which he did. And Blaze instantly ceased barking and walked back to her kennel in the truck. Where she laid down and growled softly at the warden. Needless to say, I had some 'splainin to do...

After the incident I told dad that I was sure there would be some serious paperwork to do if we had to take the warden in to the ER to have a 50 pound black lab unclamped from his unit. Not a great inroducuction, but the warden took it with good humor, part of the job, etc.

Grouse
Posted by: jrcampbell

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 06/01/13 11:01 AM

never had any problem with the wardens around here. I've been checked exactly once in 20 years of hunting. We used to hunt flintlock with one warden and his deputies years ago. Ok guys if you knew them. I do know alot of guys that were kind of outlaws years ago who have straightened out in their older age, but the wardens still keep a dang good eye on them. I have to say though that I don't believe our local warden to be too bright. examples- last year I got checked for the first time ever. took my license out and handed it to him. he had a confused look and after about 5 minutes asked me why I had two licenses. I had to show him that my second hunting license was my furtakers license. next example-my buddy had some coon sets out near a mutual friends house. mutual friend sees wardens truck parked at bridge and goes to see what problem is. there is a live mink in trap, mink are not in season. warden says he is going to get a club and kill the mink. friend says whoa, Ill get buddy who set trap. buddy shows up, warden starts to write him a fine. buddy takes snare pole out of truck, snares mink, lets it go. warden gets in truck without another word and drives off.
Posted by: Mr Potato Head

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 06/01/13 10:27 PM

Been checked three times in my life, 50 years of hunting and fishing. Two in one week on Sanibel Island FL and the third on Sanibel a year later. Twice by the same Fed and once by a local State that was a complete A$$ for no reason. Badge heavy goof.
Posted by: trapperslabs

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 06/21/13 08:54 PM

I have lived in North Carolina for over 38 years. I am a retired LEO who has fished - hunted - and trapped my entire adult life. I have been checked by the Game Wardens in NC far more times than stopped while driving. Never been cited by Wildlife or Law Enforcement ... because I always gave respect to earn respect ... and when the Game Wardens had finished their business the conversation would always go to friendly they would answer questions and give some help on where to be and when ... I hate the state wants to cut their budget by 50 % .... Also I will never forget Dean Mayse NCWRC Officer killed in the line of duty by 2 illegal deer hunters in 1980 ... RIP Warden Mayse
Posted by: pk1

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/08/13 12:41 AM

I've got a couple of bad guy stories but bottom line is the good guys outnumber the bad guys 100 to one.

Last October I was calling daytime in the California desert and ran into a young warden. He watched me for a while before approaching me and after checking me out from a distance he checked to see if I had a license. I told him I was glad to see him because those non resident licenses cost a lot of money and I was glad to finally show one to somebody. He laughed and we started talking about the town where he was stationed because I once lived there myself. He was also interested in calling in a bobcat and discussed that. We had a friendly discussion that lasted a good hour.

When I was a kid I encountered a couple of wardens that kept me from unintentionally breaking the law. I call them good guys, too.
Posted by: Me and Sally

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/08/13 01:17 PM

Met both kinds , the young ones seem to be cocky and full of themselves to the point that its impossible to even carry on a conversation with them . I guess they are still suffering from the " shiny badge syndrome " .
The older warden that just walked up on me while I was fishing was a pretty good guy considering I had my license on me and had not caught anything yet .

SEMPER FI AND DEATH BEFORE DISHONER .............
Posted by: BigGrizz

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/10/13 04:36 PM

I know one in WY that is a real (Insert expletive here)!!!!

But for the most part, every other GW in WY seems to be cordial and not predisposed to wanting to handout citations.
Posted by: Stirling XD

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/11/13 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BigGrizz

But for the most part, every other GW in WY seems to be cordial and not predisposed to wanting to handout citations.

I've talked to a couple of people that have a less than favorable opinion of WY wardens. One guy bought a the out-of-state fishing license to fish in WY (he was from CO). The game warden came by to check him and first thing he said was, "What's the matter? Don't they have fish in Colorado?"

The other guy (from CO) had killed a deer and was butchering it in camp. The tag was attached to the antlers. Once again, the GW asked, "What's the matter? Don't they have deer in Colorado?" When the guy cut the head off the carcass and laid in the truck bed, the GW pulled out his ticket book and started to write him a ticket for not having the tag attached to the edible portion of the carcass. After much argument the GW eventually let him off with a warning. Granted for a few minutes the carcass wasn't legally tagged, but the way the GW handled it left a bad taste in my friend's mouth. And a little bit in mine too.

But my contacts with GWs have all been friendly and professional.
Posted by: BigGrizz

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/11/13 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Stirling XD
Originally Posted By: BigGrizz

I've talked to a couple of people that have a less than favorable opinion of WY wardens. One guy bought a the out-of-state fishing license to fish in WY (he was from CO). The game warden came by to check him and first thing he said was, "What's the matter? Don't they have fish in Colorado?"

The other guy (from CO) had killed a deer and was butchering it in camp. The tag was attached to the antlers. Once again, the GW asked, "What's the matter? Don't they have deer in Colorado?" When the guy cut the head off the carcass and laid in the truck bed, the GW pulled out his ticket book and started to write him a ticket for not having the tag attached to the edible portion of the carcass. After much argument the GW eventually let him off with a warning. Granted for a few minutes the carcass wasn't legally tagged, but the way the GW handled it left a bad taste in my friend's mouth. And a little bit in mine too.

But my contacts with GWs have all been friendly and professional.

Where did this happen at? It may be the same guy.
Posted by: allaroundhunter

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/11/13 10:23 PM

I have encountered game wardens on several occasions. The most notable of one was while I was dove hunting on family property, and a neighbor (850 yards away) called the police claiming that we shot his house.

The closest officer out there was a game warden, and he responded within about 15 minutes of us firing our first shots of the hunt. When we saw him arrive, we promptly unloaded our shotguns and left them leaning against a tree. I had forgotten that my Glock 19 was still loaded on my hip because of recent problems we had been having with feral dogs being aggressive. The warden checked our hunting licenses, made sure our guns only held the required 2+1, and then jokingly asked if I was hunting with my Glock. It freaked me out that I had forgotten about it and I apologized but he just laughed.

As the warden was handing my father back his shotgun, a police officer arrived and I noticed him start to blade away from me and put his hand on his sidearm. He mentioned something to the warden who said, "Yes, I do see it and no, it isn't a problem."

I have had nothing but good experiences with game wardens, and I do appreciate what they do.

ETA: My experiences have all been with Texas Game Wardens
Posted by: EJ Reichenbach

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/14/13 09:43 PM

Growing up in Wyoming I met a few game wardens and most of them I would rather have not met, they all acted like you were doing something wrong. I hated the Wyoming game wardens seemed like I was constantly getting harrassed. The game wardens that I have encountered in Montana so far have all been nice guys.
Posted by: Mark2

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/22/13 07:33 AM

The few that I have dealt with here in Massachusetts have been jerks to put it nicely. And one of them did not know the law when it came to the caliber of rifle limitation at night. Here its 22-lr rim fire only. 17 hmr,22 wmr, are all illegal at night Tha one warden said that I could use a 17 hmr, and a 204 Ruger because they were smaller than a 22-lr. Good thing I did not follow his advice. And there is one town near me where you can't use a rifle of any caliber at any time, not even a rifled barrel shotgun or rifled barrel blackpowder. It's an Obama town for sure. the same game warden did not even know that.

Mark
Posted by: sumrifle

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/22/13 07:08 PM

I have never had a single problem with a Game Warden. Been stopped over the years to check license and tags etc.. I was always polite and cooperative and so were they. By the way California no longer has "Game Wardens". Now they are "Wildlife Officers" What a bunch of crap!
Posted by: red light outdoors

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/27/13 12:13 PM

I have had some good ones and a few arrogant ones. Well we were making a few man drives trying to kill some deer it was 65 degrees outside so I left my jacket that I forgot had my license in the pocket in the truck I also left my gun being that I was doing the walking. we finish he sees me walk across the field I never touched a gun nor did I touch any deer that were killed. he still intended on giving me a ticket for not having my license on me long story short he looked like a a$$ in court when the judge laughed at him and told him I didn't even need license to walk in camo and hoot and harlor like a fool. We have one woman that patrols are area and you always hear how much of a A$$ female officers can be. She was one of nicest ones I have ever met I had killed two nice bucks the first morning of bow season and she intended on helping us go back in and help us retrieve are game and gear. No matter what they are going to do there job its just getting a long of young guys that think they have to prove there self not all are this way but a lot are. sorry it was so long
Posted by: ameliafoxkiller

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/27/13 12:24 PM

Last year i got checked every time i went fishing. this year only once by a couple under cover officers. luckily they were nice being that my license had expired by one day and lucky for me i didn't have any lines in the water yet. they were definitely clever driving a old truck with a bed for a dog box one way to get it done i guess.
Posted by: palmettopredator

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/28/13 03:15 AM

While I was on the coast I ran into my share of the bunny police. Most are just out to do their jobs but the ones with their sights on moving into a federal bureau were the real a-holes. Those guys had no business with any badge. We had one guy that wrote enough tickets that he was sent on a vacation with his family (here say). He worked hard and was good at his job and no one liked him because of it. All the same my dad hadn't gotten his duck stamps and Angus brought them to our front porch, ON A SATURDAY MORNING, so my dad could hunt with my brothers and I the next day.
Posted by: Coyotejunki

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/28/13 12:33 PM

I can't say I have ever had a bad experience with a game warden, or opossum cop, or what ever name they go by. smile

Funny thing is, there was a guy working in NE MO that had a reputation with some of the locals that didn't like him. He got fired after a few years. It was kind of funny when we heard that his boss found out he was a felon and somehow slipped through the cracks and got a badge with MDC. laugh

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/29/13 01:04 AM

I have a hard time believing that. You know this to be true? If so, convicted felon for what? The MDC does a very intensive and extended background check and their agents attend the state highway patrol academy. Frankly, I have seen a higher degree of professionalism from the MDC Conservation Agents than the State Troopers and I have worked with both over the years.
Posted by: Coyotejunki

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/29/13 12:06 PM

PM Coming your way.

I'll give you some names and you can check with your connections.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/29/13 07:55 PM

Ive seen many law enforcement agents slip through the cracks. Several with a felony. Sometimes they dont catch it on background but later find it on a gun license renewal...
Posted by: Fursniper

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/30/13 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr Benelli
Ive seen many law enforcement agents slip through the cracks. Several with a felony. Sometimes they dont catch it on background but later find it on a gun license renewal...

Can you be more specific and provide an example?

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/30/13 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr Benelli

Well I haven't. I've seen exactly one and I was asked to do the background investigation on this particular guy. Turned out he was caught removing a highway speed limit sign as part of a hazing for a college fraternity organization when he was nineteen years old and in college. The value of the sign was enough to bump the incident into the felony bracket at the time. He and his family were embarrassed and he quickly pled guilty and paid a fine and forgot about it. As many young people do he later changed his major and became a criminal justice graduate with a BS degree from that same university. He did make it through the law enforcement academy and was up for a full time law enforcement position when this popped up on his background screening. I brought my investigation results forward and his offense and this particular situation were judged to be a non-issue as he was a very highly regarded candidate with excellent skills and qualifications. Other than the college prank the young guy didnít even have a speeding ticket. His hiring was postponed until he hired an attorney and put forth a petition to the courts to expunge his record. In his case he was successful and has been an excellent officer now for about twenty years. This is not to say I havenít seen a few knuckleheads commit crimes while employed as a LEO. They usually get weeded out and things move on. The post causing this discussion reminded me to not spread gossip that I donít know is true. And I think evidently that is exactly what happened here.
Posted by: TripleDeuce660

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/02/13 04:09 PM

Been stopped a couple times. Always nice to me. Check my shotgun plug, game bag, and ask me how the hunting is. I try my best to not break the law while hunting.
Posted by: NYyotekiller

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/02/13 05:39 PM

I've never saw one while hunting, only while fishing. He was very polite and asked how they were biting, wished me luck and went on his way.
Posted by: Riccur

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/06/13 11:39 AM

My experience with Warden's as well as any other law enforcement have been primarily positive.Esecially when i have all my ducks in a row if you will. Make their job easy they will be out of your hair soon enough. Only bad experiences with wardens occur with differing interpretation of rules and the confusion and headaches it can cause.

We need em and who can fault a person who actively pursues primarily armed people for a living.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/06/13 03:07 PM

Sure...A person had a felony robbery when they were a juvenile. They got a sealed record. So on his initial job application at age 21 he did not report it because it was adjudicated and sealed. Something u don't see anymore. Then after being on the job 10 years or so this particular state ruled the gun license background checks also apply to any arraignments and sealed records. So it came up. The funny thing is the Chief let him stay on the job, carry on the job, but would not issue him a permit to carry off duty.

If you want the particular case PM and i refer you to the news article also.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/06/13 03:13 PM

Mr. Benelli,
I can see how that happened because of the sealed juvenile record. I don't know that one mistake as a kid makes the guy a bad adult. It could be so but it might not and especially if in his ten years of service he was doing a good job. But as a reminder you used the word many slip through the cracks. That's one...?

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/06/13 03:18 PM

Plus you got to remember the background checks are done by humans and errors or the good ole boy system can occur. Years ago if you were arrested for a felony and not fingerprinted, or the fingerprints rejected or lost it was not entered into national NCIC/FBI database.

GC ....the agency you did a background check hired a person with a felony.

Plus he was probably issued a gun license. Something that a lot of states would have rejected.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/06/13 03:57 PM

No... read it again.
Posted by: wageslave

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/06/13 05:21 PM

Idaho CO's are great, for the most part.

Washington's almost always seemed to me to have a "you have to have some sort of infraction I can ticket you for" type attitude.
I have only bird hunted in Washington over the years, so this opinion does not apply to big game, for me.
I would assume the same folks check big game, though.

I have the same report on the fishing side of things.
Idaho guys are wonderful.
Been checked by Washington and Oregon officers that were a-holes.

P.S. I hunt & fish legally and have never had a ticket in any state.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/06/13 06:16 PM

For the most part they have been fairly decient.
There was one time where I was in an area where they were pulling in like a swat team road block asking to see my lic.
It was a little over the top and annoying since they sprang that same trap on the same vehicle 3 times in 2 days. While i was out Coyote hunting. It was during an elk hunt and as soon as you pulled down the road, they would come charging in and block you from the front and back to stop you and check the vehicle.
Last time I checked driving down a dirt road didn't require a hunting lic. but I went along with it anyways.

The only time i get upset with FG is when i find out they are flying around in a plane shotgunning coyotes from the air.. Something that hunters can't do. I also wish they would impliment the same night hunting rules as Texas. They set the rules for night hunting, which I doubt seriously they have personally tried.. If they had done it.. The rules would be different.
Posted by: lhitchcox

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/10/13 04:27 PM

Only one incident and that was with a part-time warden who just happened to be a full-time Ahole. All others have been respectful and just did their jobs.
Posted by: twhitey

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/10/13 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark2
The few that I have dealt with here in Massachusetts have been jerks to put it nicely. And one of them did not know the law when it came to the caliber of rifle limitation at night. Here its 22-lr rim fire only. 17 hmr,22 wmr, are all illegal at night Tha one warden said that I could use a 17 hmr, and a 204 Ruger because they were smaller than a 22-lr. Good thing I did not follow his advice. And there is one town near me where you can't use a rifle of any caliber at any time, not even a rifled barrel shotgun or rifled barrel blackpowder. It's an Obama town for sure. the same game warden did not even know that.

Mark

Mark I had the same issue with a epo officer he said he coyote hunts at night and uses a 17 Hmr and this was when they first came out.He in forces the law and didn't even know the laws.His exact words were last I was in school 17 was smaller than 22 lol.
Posted by: 22cat

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/27/13 07:48 PM

I jumped a bike into the lake and got a $230 ticket for improper use of a public boat ramp. also there have been a few when they search my truck they sling my stuff everywhere trying to upset me. one time I was setting in my truck and didn't have my orange hat on because I was in my truck and he asked me to get out and he searched my truck, slinging my stuff around, then wrote me a warning ticket for not having on my orange. I have personally never had anything but a negative experience every time I have encountered a game warden. the last time one run into me I was in a friends car going up the road and seen where something had come off the bank into the road and I went to go see what it was and hear come one with a big mustache and checked me for a hunting license. I had no weapons cause I had just left college. but that was a few years ago and I really haven't seen any since then thank goodness
Posted by: borrowed time

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/03/13 06:07 PM

I've had very pleasant and interesting experiances with almost all the field officers I've met. I even helped turn in and collect evidence of a poacher once up in the mountains.

Most of the guys I meet in the field are pro-hunter/pro-fishing advocates that are willing to stop and talk about the areas and how things are going on the job and for supplying valuebal info.

I have only had one "Super-Cop" jag-off that soured me for a time in my favorite hunting area. fortunately I havent seen him since, probably had complaints piling up.

I really apprecaite all the hard and sometimes dangerous work they do.
Posted by: 223yoter

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/09/13 03:03 AM

In all my hunting and fishing adventures I've never seen a game warden in the field. Not once. I do know the local gw where I live now. Which is my home town. He has been the warden here for as long as I can remember. His son and I were good friends for a long time, still kinda are. If I call him up and ask him a question he is very nice to answer any of them. I'm due for a stop some time or another so I'm sure I'll have one in the future. I only really coyote hunt and in my state you don't need a license for that, but I'm sure sooner or later I'll be asked what I'm doing. I think the problem is that we only have one warden for a very large area, so he doesn't have time to stop everyone. Still if he stopped me I think we'd have a rather friendly chat.
Posted by: TxPigKiller

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/14/13 12:04 PM

Most of mine have been positive here in WY, nothing more than the usual. license check, etc.
I grew up in TX and had all but one good experience. I was home on leave from the Marines, dove hunting with my dad, a Judge. On my leave papers it states my home unit as the "Fleet Antiterrorism Security Teams" I had just returned from Somalia being one of the 50 Marines left to guard the embassy. The GW check licenses, shotguns for plugs and ask for my hunters safety card. The card was extremely faded, my number was 0012, the 12th student in the STATE! He said the document was NOT acceptable and wrote me up.
I took the ticket straight to the courthouse in Shackleford County and ask the Clerk for a speedy hearing due to my leve was up in less than 2 days. She heard my tale, and went to see his Honor. The judge stepped out ask me the story, I explained what happened and my status within the Marines.
Man, you shoulda heard that judge on that telephone! That GW came sliding up to the courthouse about 80mph! That judge laid into him with volume and verbage that woulda made A drill instructor blush. When the dust settled, the ticket was ripped to shreds, stuffed in the GWs shirt pocket, and said GW sprinting for his life from the office. Judge was apoligizing and took me to lunch, man he was so ashamed that the FORMER GW had ticket a combat vet for a faded hunters card. From what I heard later the GW transferred to some "Gardenspot."
But in 35 years afield, my only bad experience.
Posted by: Rimrock1

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/15/13 08:14 PM

In over 60 years of hunting I have never had a negative contact by a GW. My last contact was last week. I was using a motorcycle to get around on ranch property. Rifle scabbard attached and rifle in place. At dark, just as I returned to my camper a GW pulled up. He never got out of his truck. Never asked to check my rifle or license. We had about a 20 minute visit about a lot of things that are haywire with California laws. He said that he has 25 years in and is about ready to retire. He is very disturbed about the "new blood" GWs and the indoctrination they are receiving.

As he left we exchanged phone numbers.
Posted by: crittergitter33

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/15/13 09:56 PM

For checked by a warden for the very first time yesterday. I had shot a bull elk Sunday evening and taken it down to hang up in the cooler, and when I went back Monday to break down camp he was waiting along the road where we go in to hunt. Seemed like a pleasant guy. Not too chatty. Told him about the bull I shot. he just asked to take a look at my liscense and had me open the bolt of my rifle to make sure there wasn't a shell in it since it was laying across my front seat. Then he said congrats on the kill and was on his way.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/15/13 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Rimrock1
He is very disturbed about the "new blood" GWs and the indoctrination they are receiving.

I think lot of folks are disturbed about that.
Posted by: borrowed time

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/21/13 09:25 PM

Had a really positive contact with a game officer in the mountains this weekend.

I was "guiding" my 16 yo son on his second deer hunt, last year we were out 3 days but were unable to fill the tag.

Saturday we were up the mountain and i saw something up on a ridge behind a stand of aspen. told my son to watch towards the end of the trees. deer popped out and was slightly quartered away from us with his head turned just enough that his ears hid the little 4 point (combined) antlers. I would have sworn it was a doe, so i gave the go-ahead to shoot.

Upon aproach i saw that there was indeed two, two piont antlers; my son had an antlerless tag. I knew we screwed up and as soon as it was dressed out I called the local Division of Wildlife office and left a message about what happened.

we arranged to meet up with an officer back at camp. When we met I explained exactly what happened and that I understand there would be consiquences.

he proccessed our situation and our licenses and really earned my gratitude and respect. he understood by looking at the antlers and ears and by our honesty that it was an unforunate mistake. He didnt ticket us and allowed us to keep the deer but only required that we turn over the antlers.

He said that not many folks report mistakes like that and appreciated our honesty and thats the main reason he was lenient. We have had several contacts with this officer in the past and it has always been a positive experiance, and this was no exception. He also made it a great "teachable moment" for my son. This officer is a bright and shining example of proffessionalism and good will towards hunters and fishermen/women. because of this, if i ever see him in the field and in need of assistance, I would walk right into [beeep] to help him out. I will be writing a thank you letter to him and his superiors.
Posted by: XM110

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/21/13 11:29 PM

Seems like there was a batch or animal right advocate Wardens in our area(corner of the state) that were willing to even tell you that they'd try to find anything at all to write a ticket for, and especially for someone who harvested a bear or lion and attempt to nail someone to ensure they'd never want to shoot another bear/lion. But that was a few yrs back. The one in particular,.... not sure if I'd get in trouble for putting her name on blast here online but she was a rude dude if you know what I mean. She ended up getting ran off do to complaints piling up and her joints efforts with a tree hugger group coming out. Haven't had any run-ins with any since all that was going on and the entire community wanted nothing to do with Game and Fish. Hope they've change their ways a tad........O well if not.
Posted by: masshunter

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/26/13 03:48 PM

I've been checked in Maine, NH, Vt, Co, Ontario, and Mass,
all good and polite no attitude. I dot my I's & cross my T's and smile a lot. I've heard a lot of BS stories, and know of two write-ups that should have been warnings. We are all human, and everybody has bad days.
Posted by: Huntinjim

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 11/03/13 05:47 PM

Got checked last night. Party of 2 adults and 2 youth. Warden was very friendly and when I told him I was carrying concealed he just said he would be doing the same on public land and carried on. It was a good experience and I was glad to see a warden in the woods on a Saturday night.
Posted by: Crimson Raptor

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 11/04/13 08:13 AM

So far, so good on Florida WMAs the last 6 years hunting here.

Most of the FWC officers have been polite and about their business with little more than a license check and a "good luck".

Only one was less than friendly, but this was on an area where two cows (!!!) had been shot and one deer poached in the previous couple of days. I think 6 arrests were made that season at this one WMA, so the officers were a little tight that week.

There are a couple that reside near the public land areas I frequent and we are on a first name basis now.

I've found that being patient, polite, and friendly usually gets you reciprocation from law enforcement, especially from the country folk that populate our FWC and seem to be reading from the same sheet of music.
Posted by: Fiddler

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 11/05/13 03:13 PM

Generally good. I always possess the right licences, permits, tags, etc., and play by the rules. Had a funny experience about thirty years ago north of Pensacola. Met a game warden while walking down a dirt road in a WMA. After a license check, he offered me a ride back to my truck. Along the way, I mentioned I was a Country musician and which nightclub I played at in Pensacola.
The next weekend, there he was, at a table with about a dozen other guys and gals. Every one of them were Florida Wildlife Officers! He called me over to his table, introduced me to his colleagues, and proceeded to buy me shot after shot all night long! Whatta night!
Now, for my less "happy" game warden story.
One week before archery season in 1988, I was scouting a place that was opening to hunting for the very first time, Arbuckle WMA. I'd never been there, so at sunrise, I parked my truck outside the locked gate, hoisted a bicycle over the gate, and proceeded to roam all over the place.
After a few miles the sugar sand in the trails became too soft for a bike, so I parked it and continued on foot, looking for sign, and marking likely Opening Day stand locations with "Brite Eyes" and orange surveyor's tape.
I had been doing this for several hours when I heard a vehicle coming up behind me. Off in the distance I saw a Game Warden's jeep with one officer sitting on the hood, looking at my footprints in the sand, while the other one drove.
I waited on the trail for them to catch up with me. Naturally, they wanted to know what I was doing. They had been following my trail from the where I'd parked my truck.
I told them I was scouting. I was in a pretty good mood and had all the proper paperwork.
One of them kept looking at the daypack I was carrying. Then he asked to look inside, because he said he had heard someone shooting a .22 pistol in the area where he found me.
I handed it over with a smile. Nothing in there but lunch, soda pop, surveyor's tape, "Brite Eyes", binoculars, etc.
I kept smiling, even though I knew he had lied through his teeth. I had been walking those trails for hours and hadn't heard a single gunshot all morning. In fact, those two game wardens were the first sign of human life I'd seen.
He was just on a "fishing expedition", hoping to get lucky and find a pistol in my daypack.
That lie really shook my faith in law enforcement people. What else do they lie about?
Posted by: bthomasb1

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 01/19/14 03:09 AM

Hmm,that makes me think,I have never had a game warden stop me and check me,a fish warden once and he was cool,but no game wardens.I do know 3 game wardens 1 is a ok guy he is by the book and tough but he is just doing his job and doing a good job of it,the other 2 are bigger criminals than the people they arrest,I went to school with one and his family shoots more deer with a light than anyone else I know.
Posted by: coyotenut

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 01/19/14 10:55 PM

I have always had very positive experiences with the guys in our areas. In fact, I have been hunting with most of them at different times, one even on an out of state deer hunt.
Posted by: Brownie

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 01/21/14 12:15 AM

There's one around here who has his head up his arse and his badge inflated his.ego so much he can no longer remove his head from there. One year he about ran me into the ditch on a narrow road just to bust my balls about my tag and license. He didn't bother getting out. I pulled off to give him room to get by and he kept moving closer till I was almost in the ditch. He then asked fir my info through the window and had me show him my rifle to make sure it was unloaded. Another time we were fishing under an overpass and I had brought my rifle in case we saw a coyote and had it on my back unloaded. He pulled up to the truck which was left unlocked and came asking for my buddy by name. Said he looked through the truck and found his registration and that's how he knew his name. He then asked why I had a rifle and why I hadn't left it in the truck. My answer was there's too many Aholes like yourself who don't or can't stay out of people's trucks and the last thing I need is my 800 bucks disappearing. He puffed up and after checking licenses he left poutting because he found no violations and we didn't put up with his crap.
Posted by: Crappie eater

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/08/14 05:12 PM

I get checked at least twice a year, no issues. Can be a pain if you need to leave and have to hang around to get checked.
Posted by: bonecollector777

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/19/14 03:59 PM

Game wardens are a bunch or wannabes that were picked on in school. They want more than anything to write you a ticket and think they have all the power in the world because they have a badge. Haven't met one yet that doesn't automatically think you broke the law and starts trying to get you. Thank goodness they have never been able to scrounge up anything against me but they dang sure have tried.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/21/14 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: bonecollector777
Game wardens are a bunch or wannabes that were picked on in school. They want more than anything to write you a ticket and think they have all the power in the world because they have a badge. Haven't met one yet that doesn't automatically think you broke the law and starts trying to get you. Thank goodness they have never been able to scrounge up anything against me but they dang sure have tried.

One of the purposes of the game warden forum was to provide a friendly environment for members to interact with game wardens to promote a better understanding and spirit of cooperation. Where you are from in AZ, all of the game wardens are wildlife biologist that have at least a bachelor of science degree. I doubt they spent thousands out of their pocket to get a college degree just to write misdemeanor tickets. Law enforcement is a fraction of what they do since they also work as biologists to manage the wildlife populations in their assigned areas. They are a wealth of knowledge if you ask them about something. I'm guessing you just look suspicious to them for some reason.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/21/14 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Fursniper

One of the purposes of the game warden forum was to provide a friendly environment for members to interact with game wardens to promote a better understanding and spirit of cooperation. Where you are from in AZ, all of the game wardens are wildlife biologist that have at least a bachelor of science degree. I doubt they spent thousands out of their pocket to get a college degree just to write misdemeanor tickets. Law enforcement is a fraction of what they do since they also work as biologists to manage the wildlife populations in their assigned areas. They are a wealth of knowledge if you ask them about something. I'm guessing you just look suspicious to them for some reason.

I have seen both in AZ.. out away from phoenix, they have been, for the most part great.. Friendly, supportive, and helpful. The only time i didn't like it was when they were running a surprise road block where they would pull out and box you in to check your info during an elk hunt in unit 1. I didn't like that because they have no right to ask for hunting lic, or search your vehicle or inspect my vehicle, other than drivers lic, ins., and vehicle reg, if there is no evidence of hunting. If I don't have an animal or they see me hunting, They are being pushy. Most have never done anything like that and are great.

The ones around PHX on the lakes are another matter. I will repectfully agree with BC777 on that one with that group
Posted by: Billy539

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/28/14 12:47 PM

In my experience here in WI most are pretty decent. I have run into a few power hungry knuckle heads though. Unfortunately the best one I have ever know recently left the position in our area. He was all ways willing to listen to hunters/fishermen about concerns and on more then one occasion I saw him give people the benefit of the doubt it's too bad he left.
Posted by: BlindTyldak

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/21/14 02:41 PM

The ones I've met here in northeast SD are great. Only had one problem . . . called the office one time to verify the restrictions on hunting in a state-owned campground over the winter for small game, and the conservation officer told me over the phone that I could hunt with my .22 LR there as long as it was not pheasant or camping season. A couple of weeks later I was hunting in a WIA and one of the wardens stopped me (turns out they were looking for some deer poachers) and he was exceptionally nice. Showed my license and we talked about rabbit hunting for a bit and he gave me some areas to check, and we discussed the campground I had called about; the guy I had talked to over the phone had given me the wrong info and it was shotgun only. I offered to bring in the rabbits I had shot there to hand over to Sportsmen Against Hunger and he told me to keep them. Didn't get a ticket or warning so it all ended well.

I did end up seeing the poachers later that day, and it turned out they had taken several deer across the county out of season. Called them in and they were busted. A few weeks after that I called in some dumped Canadas shot during light goose, and now the wardens stop to chat every time they see my vehicle out in the WIA's and I've got their cell numbers. The guys out here are ultra-professional and super supportive of hunters who follow the rules, do their job, and do it very well.
Posted by: jon math

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/24/14 02:56 PM

They have a hard job. Letís face it 100 percent of the hunters they encounter are armed, and frequently in pretty secluded places. I have met plenty fishing not as many while hunting. They all acted professionally, sadly some a lot more professional than others. That is as polite as I can say it.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/24/14 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jon math
They have a hard job. Letís face it 100 percent of the hunters they encounter are armed, and frequently in pretty secluded places.

That seems to mean nothing in reality. Very few game wardens are involved in an on the job shooting encounter.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/24/14 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: GC
They have a hard job. Letís face it 100 percent of the hunters they encounter are armed, and frequently in pretty secluded places.

That seems to mean nothing in reality. Very few game wardens are involved in an on the job shooting encounter.

GC,
maybe it means nothing to you "in reality", but it means a lot to the ones who are involved.
My agency lost 3 officers to shooting incidents while I was working.
One died, and the other 2 were permanently disabled.

Thank you for your opinion. thumbup1

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/25/14 07:58 AM

Definitely no disrespect intended, however the number of game wardens involved in on the job shootings and/or killed in the line of duty is extremely low compared to municipal police, county deputy sheriff's, state troopers or certain federal law enforcement officers like DEA, US Marshal's, Border Patrol, ect. Game wardens always throw out the old "everybody we meet is armed and we are seven times more likely to be killed..." The facts just don't bear that out, it just doesn't happen with the same frequency that it does to other law enforcement officers. The vast majority of those game warden contacts are honest law abiding sportsmen and women engaging in legal activities. In the time frame you worked for your agency three wardens were involved in a shooting, so how many muni cops, deputies and troopers in your state were involved with on the job shootings in that same time period? The numbers just don't add up the same. Please don't misunderstand or misconstrue my post, just stating facts for the discussion. I am sorry for your departments loss.
Posted by: dan158

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/21/14 10:20 PM

Here in Pennsylvania, 99% are ego tripping @holes who don't know the game laws. That sums up my encounter with them.
Posted by: Theshedhunter

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/22/14 12:16 AM

Never seen one except driving down the highway. Never been checked or encountered a warden in the field. There used to be check stations you were supposed to stop at if you were hunting, successful or not, but they closed them when FWP ran out of money when out of state elk hunters quit coming here.
Posted by: Hooked

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 06/14/14 06:37 PM

Very good guys around my area. One in my County also did my CC training course and to the County South of me stopped just to visit, see if we were having any luck. Did not ask for squat, but did offer some advice on Predator Hunting.
Posted by: catfarmer

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 06/19/14 02:36 AM

A number of years ago a couple of friends came out to the farm every Saturday and we would go shoot ground squires every week a game warden came out to see us we had permission to hunt on the land we were on and some one next door called in about us every week. Any how the warden was very nice and after about four weeks he laughed and said that he would see us next week he never said but we all new who was calling him. The warden and the three of us all were friends by the end of the summer. Never did know what the complainers problem was.
Posted by: C.Jay

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/01/14 12:09 AM

Our Bunny cops are great guys here in Sweetgrass county, they are VERY constitutionally minded,
Posted by: DAB

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/02/14 12:39 PM

Been hunting and fishing for 5 decades now and have had many,many contacts with the Game LEO's here in Oregon. I have never had a bad contact experience with any of them.

I do not give them any attitude so never receive none back.
Have had some ask me some leading questions kinda like they are trying to trip me up but since I have nothing to hide or lie about they finally quit asking those type of questions and everything goes smooth.

I am of the opinion that most people but not all that get an attitude from a GW or LEO first gives one to the officer or just has a problem with anyone in authority.
Posted by: JTB

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/22/14 11:05 AM

Most in my area are just normal guys doing their job, but several are some of the biggest poachers in the state. You know what John Dalber-Acton said, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/22/14 11:28 AM

Originally Posted By: JTB
Most in my area are just normal guys doing their job, but several are some of the biggest poachers in the state. You know what John Dalber-Acton said, "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely".

WOW! that's crazy. What happened when you turned them in???

In nearly 60 years of hunting, I never met any that were poachers. I have met some that turned into true friends and I ony remember two who should be in a different line of work. Most are helpful and doing a thankless job. I'm glad they are out there.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/22/14 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Redfrog

Yep, I'd like to hear some details too.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/22/14 02:20 PM

We got one down here that is a real lazy piece of work and is trying to pick a fight with the base.

He wants the base that has it's own program. They have a game biologist and they work out the tag numbers. There are a few tags that can go to anyone, but you have to be able to pass a background check. The majority of the tags go to active duty, retired and they have a special hunt for Disabled guys. (deer, turkey, elk)
The new guys wants the base to open it to anyone and no set asides for military. SO they increase the number of tags a little for non-military, and as always, if there are any left over tags after the draw its a first come first serve tag to anyone. They have left over bull, and cow rifle tags and usually a number of left over archery tags.

That is going over like a fart in church.

Now the base is forcing everyone no matter age, to have a hunter saftey (fine) and then come in for a saftey brief where you turn in a stack of paperwork.

But because of the hassles they are saying that now they have to hire someone and they have to charge the cost of that employee to the hunters, so next year, instead of a $30 fee for hunting on the base it could be $100-150 for the fee, above what the cost tag ($135) It won't be long before it's just cheeper to go buy a ranchers cow and shoot that.
Posted by: Infidel 762

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/23/14 02:11 AM

Classified...

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/23/14 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
We got one down here that is a real lazy piece of work and is trying to pick a fight with the base.

He wants the base that has it's own program. They have a game biologist and they work out the tag numbers. There are a few tags that can go to anyone, but you have to be able to pass a background check. The majority of the tags go to active duty, retired and they have a special hunt for Disabled guys. (deer, turkey, elk)
The new guys wants the base to open it to anyone and no set asides for military. SO they increase the number of tags a little for non-military, and as always, if there are any left over tags after the draw its a first come first serve tag to anyone. They have left over bull, and cow rifle tags and usually a number of left over archery tags.

That is going over like a fart in church.

Now the base is forcing everyone no matter age, to have a hunter saftey (fine) and then come in for a saftey brief where you turn in a stack of paperwork.

But because of the hassles they are saying that now they have to hire someone and they have to charge the cost of that employee to the hunters, so next year, instead of a $30 fee for hunting on the base it could be $100-150 for the fee, above what the cost tag ($135) It won't be long before it's just cheeper to go buy a ranchers cow and shoot that.

Why do you say he's lazy?

We have a military base here in Alberta that allows hunting on a draw system. Every year it is harder to draw a tag as more and more hunters apply. Some think it is easier to be successful in the draw than spend the year knocking on doors for permission. Because of the movement restrictions, a hunter doesn't have huge areas to scout.
There is an orientation session daily where the rules are explained and areas pointed out for access etc. And yet there are lazy hunters who go to the trouble of entering the draw, winning a tag, showing up for the information briefing and then can't be bothered to follow the rules.
The draw rules change every year here as far as number of tags available, areas that are open etc. Some changes make hunters happy and the same changes torque others.You can't please everyone. F/W operates on a priority system here. All unsuccessful applicants get one priority point for the next draw. The points accumulate year to year.Some hunters simply buy the draw application and then 999 the selection which means they don't want a tag this year, just a priority point. Some guys have 10 or 12 points and have simply paid for the point each year.In some cases like goats or sheep, because of the popularity of the draw, a person needs to live to be 437 years old to get one of the tags. We have this system because of the cry babaies who whine 'I never get a draw, but my brother gets his.WAAAAAA!" If it's a draw, then it should be random.Everyone has the same chance.

As far as increasing the fees, I have no problem with that. Let the oes who want to hunt there pay for admin costs. Why add those costs to everyone's license fees. That is what they will do to cover the cost.

We have hunters who apply for a hunt who have never taken one step in an area up for draws. They get the draw and then are on the internet hunt boards asking which landowner or area to go to for a hunt.
It's often the game wardens who help out, with contacts and info on game movements.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/23/14 11:01 AM

Reporting someone and being able to be taken serious and prove it are two different things. I'm sure every locality has police on the take, abuses of power, etc.

I have a relative that's a policeman I don't think he's out directly stealing, but I know he and his wife drive any speed they want ticket free, he eats free just about everywhere in town, etc. It's all the buddy system.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/23/14 11:28 AM

Reporting someone and being able to be taken serious and prove it are two different things. I'm sure every locality has police on the take, abuses of power, etc.

I agree. It's the same thing when you are accused. In order to be taken seriously, there has to be proof.

So you had a bad experience when you filed a complaint?

Do you have any proof that the Game wardens are poaching, or your relative drives whatever speed he wants?

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/24/14 09:58 AM

I agree. It's the same thing when you are accused. In order to be taken seriously, there has to be proof.

So you had a bad experience when you filed a complaint?

Do you have any proof that the Game wardens are poaching, or your relative drives whatever speed he wants?

I never filed any complaint, nor would I get involved the fallout from doing so, proof or not. I've known guys who hunt bear over bait (illegal in our state) with game wardens, spot light with game wardens, etc.

As far as the relative driving, I've been in the car with him. I've seen him pulled over, tell them who he is, then drive off. Anyone who has LEO as friends or family can normally attest they pretty much get away with whatever they want. There are bad eggs in law enforcement in every city and state.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/24/14 12:10 PM

[quote=Redfrog

Why do you say he's lazy?

We have a military base here in Alberta that allows hunting on a draw system. [/quote]

He is lazy since he won't show up for the meeting and just dictates what he wants..
Its a touchy situation and rather than just close it out, the base is going to make it expensive and once the numbers get low enough, or this guy gets them mad enought they will just say no, and then it's a no-go case and it's going to be closed out.
There are cry babies every where and it sure seems like there are a bunch of them in big game hunting. We have the same type of draw system here too. This base is small and only 12 sq miles (a tiny section of the very productive area where most of it is open to public) and the opens, closures, and what ever else the base does makes it challenging in it's own regaurds.
Civilians crying they can't apply for the set asside tags on the base where they store Ammunition is a case of the grass is greener on the other side of the fence deal.
This warden wants to force the base to allow open access, and the base would rather close it all together than do that.
I like hunting there, because you don't have to deal with with crazy foot race of trying to tag your animal before someone else does wild behavior I hear all the time out here during the rest of the hunts. Most of these guys are very nice and when a shot goes off usually a couple of guy show up, roll up their sleves and give you a hand.
I just hate to see that messed up.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/25/14 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
This warden wants to force the base to allow open access, and the base would rather close it all together than do that.

I think you were referring to Camp Navajo in Unit 6B since that would be the small military base with elk on it. The requirements that Camp Navajo has for hunter access is extensive. Here is a link for what Camp Navajo requires.

http://www.azguard.gov/CampNavajo.htm

All of these requirements are established by the base, not by the AGFD.

According to requirement 2, the base is open to hunting by nonmilitary people with several restrictions.

The state laws established by the AGFD Commission for taking wildlife also apply inside military bases. The Camp Navajo access requirements conflict with state laws for taking wildlife. For example, requirement 7 says that predator hunting and small game hunting is not allowed on the base. Since the base is open to hunting by military personnel and others, why not allow opportunities to take small game and predators? Why prevent hunters from taking small game and predators during their big game hunt? Personally, I think this restriction is an over reach by the base.

Closing the base to military people and others for taking predators and small game has nothing to do with controlling access. The purpose for this appears more in line with an anti hunting agenda.

Look at the indecisive restrictions the base commander has put on firearms as a condition for access in requirement 9. If there was a security issue, the base can be closed to entry at any time. Designating certain areas as archery only is fine, but it appears that hunters are being purposely setup to break the base regulations when the base commander does not know what weapon types can be used before the hunting season starts and can change weapon types without notice.

You should support the game warden. They are trying to get military folks to have the same opportunities for hunting wildlife on the base as civilians have off the base. It is not fair for military people to receive less. I think the AGFD has made good progress in getting more hunting opportunities at Camp Navajo, but there is still more that needs to be done to resolve all the conflicts.
Posted by: Bullsprings

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/26/14 08:35 AM

I have heard the horror stories. But, I have only experienced being treated good by guys just doing their jobs.
Posted by: woodguru

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/05/14 03:28 PM

Wardens are just people who are likely to be a bit better educated about wildlife and conservation than most, from their perspective they are aligned against the worst types of poachers and dirt bags that don't just poach an occasional animal to eat, but take numbers that are truly hard on populations.

I've never met one yet that isn't friendly and talkative with friendly people who aren't doing anything wrong. There is a certain type of person who hates authority and finds it very hard to even be civil with those wearing uniforms in positions of authority.

Chances are those who think wardens are dirt bags are probably dirt bags themselves. I've had wardens let me off when they had me cold on an infraction because I have a sense of humor and no attitude toward them.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/05/14 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Bullsprings
I have heard the horror stories. But, I have only experienced being treated good by guys just doing their jobs.

There ya go, has to do with the attitude. lol

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/05/14 03:58 PM

GC,
maybe it means nothing to you "in reality", but it means a lot to the ones who are involved.
My agency lost 3 officers to shooting incidents while I was working.
One died, and the other 2 were permanently disabled.

Thank you for your opinion. thumbup1

Considering numbers in terms of how many police officers and sheriffs there are in the country, and how many fish and game officers my guess is that the "few" incidents they have equates to a high incident per 1000 number.

They are looking for poachers, poachers have no regard for the law, hence may likely be criminals or felons that are not supposed to even have guns, many criminals would rather shoot a warden than go back to jail.

Those wardens out at night looking for poachers need to be at least as hard nosed and tough as your average cop or they will make a fatal mistake sooner or later. That aspect of the job is not for light weights.

You don't get passed over for the police academy and decide you will be a warden.
Posted by: kc_hhsl

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/15/14 10:35 PM

Have only been stopped by them 5 or 6 times. Always easy to talk to and they were direct and to the point. Once they were done doing their duty they left us alone.

Unfortunately in KS you don't see them much - not enough of them around. Need more of them.
Posted by: FairChase93

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 11/01/14 01:45 AM

Around here we have had many game wardens that were constantly causing problems and stirring the pot, flaunting authority they did not have and such. However in the last 5 years or so we have had 2 pretty dang good ones, respectful and courteous. Don't get me wrong they would definitely write you a ticket if you broke the law but the way they carried them selves and went about their business was just different.

The current game warden in our area (one of the two mentioned above) is just exactly what a game warden should be, respectful, courteous, and when the situation calls for it Authoritative. He actively participates in the community and is always looking for ways to get kids involved. He runs an excellent hunt safe course as well. He is one guy that covers a very large area and does it quite well. On top of all this he has spear headed some much need GF &P improvement projects.

I've ran into a lot of game wardens I had zero respect for but there are some good ones out there as well and we got one of them.
Posted by: snowangel

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/17/14 08:18 AM

In 30 years of hunting in pa i have never been stopped by a gw. The only time i was checked on it was by the local police on routine patrol and only because he also hunted groundhogs. The ones i have spoken to i have approached at county fairs or other functions where they were present and they all were polite and a pleasure to talk to.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 11/27/15 02:47 PM

And the ones that relax increase the odds of getting shot exponentially. Criminal felon types are the ones most likely to be out poaching, and even if they are hunting legally they may be willing to shoot a warden rather than face going to jail if they have warrants out on them.

I had a warden in a remote pot growing area tell me places to stay out of that he knew for a fact even he would get shot if he went there.

My brother in law called me an idiot for having a gun on me when we were riding dirt bikes in isolated areas. He asked this same warden we were talking to if he agreed with him about me being an idiot and he looked at him and told him I'd be an idiot not to have a gun out there.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 11/27/15 03:24 PM

Back in the 80's before the state started letting you get a two rod stamp I was fishing at the Nimbus dam, there was nobody else there so I rigged a steelhead rod with a night crawler and threw it out in a riffle, tightened the line and propped it in the cornet of the railing. I picked up an ultralight rod with a lure on it and cast it out, got a hit by a nice fat two pound trout on the first cast as it hit the water and was settling.

So I'm fighting this scrappy trout when my steelhead rod takes a slam, I grab it with my right hand and set the hook while trying to keep the line tight on the trout. These fish were both going ballistic, they kept crossing lines to where I had to keep twisting them around each other so the lines weren't crossed. I couldn't reel them in with one in each hand, so I decided I had to pick a fish and put the other rod down. So I lean the trout rod in the railing corner, and I get a beautiful 7 pound steelhead in, and I go back and get the trout in soon after.

So as I'm putting the trout on my stringer I hear someone clearing their throat from about 25 feet away, I look and it's a game warden, my response was to say "oh crap". He says "yeah, not cool". He said he'd been watching me with binoculars from the top of the dam, and that I could lose my fishing poles and gear. He's looking at the poles and my open tackle box and he comments that they are nice poles and asks what they set me back, I told him close to a grand. He told me that he could legally confiscate them and my tackle box, and my vehicle as well. I told him that as I was standing there trying to figure out what to do with two fish on without losing a $500 rod it occurred to me that it didn't make sense to try to catch a trout and a steelhead at the same time. He laughed and said that that was one of the funniest things he'd seen in a long time, me standing there trying to figure out what to do with these fish going crazy.

He told me to keep it to one rod, and that next season I was going to be able to buy a two rod stamp for an extra ten bucks or so. He said my gear was too nice to be losing it over something this stupid.

I'm pretty sure that had I been a jerk he'd have been one back.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 11/27/15 03:46 PM

Admitting being a poacher is the fastest way to getting help to find a cure.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/09/15 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357
Admitting being a poacher is the fastest way to getting help to find a cure.

I'm sure you've done worse things in your life than use two fishing rods oldfart, am I right?

Have you ever lived in the country, have you wanted meat in the freezer and it's standing in your backyard eating your roses? Ever seen a half dozen grays running around your backyard mid morning, and two hours later you are eating a squirrel for lunch? 80 turkeys out back and that night a big Tom finds his breasts stuffed with caramelized onions and brie being sauteed in Chardonnay and seasoning?

I haven't either. lol

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/09/15 09:33 PM

For some reason I cannot remember cheating the State and other sportsman out of Game. You it seems are a little different.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/10/15 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357
For some reason I cannot remember cheating the State and other sportsman out of Game. You it seems are a little different.

Righteous to the end huh?

What can I say, I like eating game, and I refuse to hunt public lands during deer hunting seasons, I have personally known three people that were shot and killed while deer hunting, most likely intentionally. Also I'm sure sportsmen into trophies would never understand this, but I am not into "trophy" racks, they are too tough to eat and it amounts to killing the biggest and strongest of the gene pool.

I get unlimited depredation permits and can shoot as many deer as I want to. I have called for kills to be picked up and more often than not they don't have anyone available to do so, I have been told to go ahead and use them as coyote bait so they aren't being wasted. So whatever, I am not depriving hunters of their share of anything. More importantly I try to leave the ones with racks for hunters who care about that. That is not the case when one is tearing up one of my fruit trees.

The depredation permit rules state that I am not supposed to eat the deer so I interpret that to mean I can't put meat in the freezer, so I don't. Now some would see that as a waste not to be able to eat a deer that you can legally shoot.
Posted by: hm1996

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/11/15 07:27 PM

Have had a few encounters w/TP&W wardens over the years and all have been pleasant and businesslike. I always call the GW in the three counties in which I night hunt predators beforehand and these exchanges have always been pleasant, as well.

A farmer friend who has a grain elevator on his property had a bad experience with a federal game warden whom he had invited to hunt white wing doves (migratory fowl) on his property. The FGW cited him for "baiting" because of a pile of waste which resulted from cleaning out one of his grain elevators on the property. I thought that was out of line. Needless to say, that fellow was never invited back.

Regards,
hm
Posted by: saskHKuk

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/15/15 06:34 PM

i have very little time for them.

my very first encounter was a challange.
we called in that a deer had been shot and left.
after waiting nearly two hours a CO appeared and we told him what had happened.
i had a ruger 10/22 with me for chickens.

it was my turn to be interviewed by the CO.
he accused me of shooting the deer with the ruger.
i had a hard job explaining to him that ballastically and winchester subsonic .22
round would never cause a exit wound on a deer the size of a mans fist.
but no he was pretty insistent it was me.
i shook my head in disbelief,never again will i call a shot deer in again.

this years experience is when some truck hunter [beeep] shot a buck,he and the CO's
took it upon themselves to spend two days walking through posted land without
discussing it with my landowner first.
this isnt on at all.

i did a few years back email five different CO's with the same question
and got one reply back with the right answer,two asked me if i had my hunters safety(nothing to do with the actual question),one said he wouldnt reply because he didnt know me and the other ignored me.

i have been stopped once while fishing on a friends boat and that went fine for their attitude
etc but i did notice that one CO wasnt exactly savvy when we pulled our boats together as he exposed his sidearm with his arm positioning, a bit hard to explain but if i had wanted to,i could of pulled it out of the holster,(NOT THAT I WOULD DO SUCH A THING)

so alls good really
Posted by: hawki

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 01/12/16 12:45 PM

As I have been told by my son," If they fail the attitude test it could get ugly." Many fail the first time they open their mouth, some before. More often than not the attitude you see is nothing more than the reflection of yours amplified.
Posted by: TheBoxMan

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 01/22/16 12:12 AM

I have only met the one that did my hunter safety course, and I now have permission to hunt his property, so you could say my experience has been pretty good thus far.
Posted by: hawk driver

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 01/26/16 05:54 PM

I have had very few encounters with game wardens in all my years but almost all have been good.

Had one check us while dove hunting when I was 17. Unfortunately, I forgot I had taken the plug out of my 870. He did write me a ticket, but did help me cut plug out of a mesquite stick and made sure it was the right length.

Got to know one well enough at Ft Riley, KS that he would just wave at me when he would see me out in the back 40.

Had one check us after duck hunting on Milford Lake in KS. He must have been watching us, cause he knew how many ducks we had when we got to the truck. Congratulated us on bagging so many greenheads so fast. Real nice guy, didnt check guns or shells, just licenses.

Met one antelope hunting, 2002, north of Laramie, WY. Super nice guy, had a black lab with him. Had another check us in area 38 in WY in 2003, nice guy too.

We had one come onto our deer lease in AL in 2011 and wrote my buddy a ticket for baiting with corn. He knew right where to find the corn in a field. None of us had put any corn out. Rumor had it that the game warden himself was spreading the corn and then writing tickets. My friend took it to court and got it thrown out. Apparently, the judge didnt think too highly of that warden.
Posted by: ky_coyote_man

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 01/29/16 11:16 PM

The thing about Wardens is put yourself in their shoes. First be legal to a fault, study your state game regulations to the point of memorizing them. Be quick to show them your licenses, wholeheartedly cooperate, and get in a yes'sir or two, and have a positive attitude. Do those things and you might just make a friend, and at the very least have a good experience. We really need to ally with our Law Enforcement, they stick their necks out for us daily. Lets give them our respect.
Posted by: zerowolf

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/13/16 09:46 PM

Same as with police... some great and others need to be slapped.

Where I am the DNR focus seems to be on city people vacationing here. People with too much money always seem to be doing something really stupid.

Few years ago a local warden told us about a guy he caught on state land baiting deer. He filled the bed of his truck with sugar beets and was hauling them out to the woods with two 5 gallon buckets. He even told the guy when he ticketed him he was an idiot for what he was doing... wasn't even trying to hide he was doing.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/13/16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: zerowolf
Same as with police... some great and others need to be slapped.

The waiter at the restaurant tonight was an obnoxious db also...
Posted by: Crippleone

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/29/16 10:14 PM

Met a couple nice wardens when I witnessed a couple guys poaching on the neighbors property, very nice wardens,the kind you could sit down and have a cup of coffee with. I know there is only so much they can do,but I thought in my situation they could have dug a little deeper. Here's what happened.this took place about 4 years ago. It was about the middle of October,early afternoon,I was out checking my fences,when I heard two rifle shots coming from my neighbors property,so I went to investigate. I cut through a little grove of trees that divided my property and the neighbors.when I got to the edge of my property. I saw at what I would guess 150yards,a green Chevy club cab pickup in the field,two gentlemen were bent over gutting a deer out. I watched for a while,until one of the guys looked up and saw me.He then walked over to the pickup and pulled his rifle out,he then pointed it in my direction,I thought he was checking me out with his rifle scope, but apparently not.he shot one round into the top of the tree I was standing under.I decided not to hang around after that..I went back to the house and called the warden,they showed up about an hour or so latter, like I said earlier, they were real nice guys. They asked me a few questions, and then I showed them where I saw the guys gutten the deer.they found the gut pile,and one of the wardens pulled out of his coat some kind of temperture thingy and poked it into the deer liver, he commented that it was no more than a couple hours old..we then went back to the house,where they asked me a few more questions.I told them I didnt recognize the truck but I thought I new who one of the guys were, they left and went to talk to the gentlemen, they must have looked up his name and got his address, he lived in the trailer park and his green Chevy pickup was sitting in his driveway. The wardens told me they asked him if he had been out there today,he said no.I was told they checked out the box of his truck,but couldn't find any blood. The wardens stopped back and told me there wasn't anything they could do. While the wardens were interviewing this guy,I thought I would call my neighbor to find out what was going on,he told me that no one was out hunting there and that I should mind my own business. I got pissed, I told him the next time someone takes a shot in my direction I was going to take that guys gun and shuve it up his A$$. After talking with him,I went to my shop in the garage,to blow off a little steam. Before dark I was working on a little project that the wife had been bugging me to get done, when a deputy sheriffs car pulls in the yard. I walk out to his car, thinking he wanted to talk about the poaching I witnessed. He said he wasn't here to talk about that,he was here to talk to me about the threat I had made to my neighbor. The neighbor got it right when he told the officer I was going to take a gun and shove it up sombodys behind,but he failed to tell him the why. I tried to explain the whole scenario, but the deputy wasn't all that interested in what I had to say in the matter. I asked the deputy now what,you gonna take me to jail, he said no, but my neighbor was really fearing for his life and that's why he reported it.. The deputy then told me that my threat on my neighbor would have to be reported to the county attornies office, to which the county attornies office would start a file on me,and their would be a good chance if I were to threaten my neighbor like this again I would go to jail. That's why now I will never call a game warden again. I no longer trust them to do their jobs and as far as the sheriffs dept they can kiss my behind too.
Oh yes by the way, after a while I heard that the neighbor had asked these two guys if they could get him a couple deer for his freezer, the neighbor was in on it all along.
Posted by: michael97885

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/21/16 10:13 PM

out here in oregon i am lucky enough to not run into them much, with that said i have met a couple while coyote hunting that were pretty cool ,good guys i am on good terms with another one of them and well there is always that bad apple that is a total jerk wad one of those kinda guys that got the [beeep] kicked out them in high school and now they have a badge and gonna get even with the world. i realize they have a job to do and i appreciate the job they do. so for me mostly positive except for one. glad they are out there
Posted by: TBones

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/22/16 09:15 AM

Lately here in Colorado It has changed. They seem to dislike hunters and trappers.
Posted by: pk1

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/27/16 11:15 AM

My 2 bad experiences with game wardens.......

One morning we stopped into a gas station in a small town before heading home. It was still dark. I was pumping gas when a game warden pulled in to the other side of the pumps. He saw we had 2 dead coyotes in the bed of my truck and went ballistic on us saying those coyotes were minding their own business and we came along and shot them. I told him their business at that particular time was trying to kill a newborn calf. He called me a liar. I wasn't lying and told him he needed to drive up the road and talk to the rancher that owned the calf.

Ironically, the rancher was at first pissed over us killing the coyotes, too, but when he saw the damage done by the coyotes he calmed down. As far as the warden went I reminded him that we weren't breaking any laws and if the state didn't want us killing coyotes they'd put them on the protected species list rather than the non protected species list. Our conversation was laced with a lot of profanity and it wasn't coming from me.

My other story is about a warden that lived in the same small town that I did. This guy absolutely hated predator hunters. People say that if you're hunting at night be sure to call the warden for that area so he knows. Doing that with this guy would assure him teaming up with his BIL deputy sheriff and tracking you down. If he couldn't write you up for a game violation the deputy could always find something. The warden once told me that everyone breaks the law every day and it was easy to bust you. He said that when we're calling at night and accidentally run our light over a rabbit we've broken the law.

I had a hunting guide's license and he harassed me for a good 3 years. The final straw came when we couldn't get permission to access a mud hole where geese were coming in every day so we had to walk over a mile through gumbo hauling our decoys over public land. This was the desert and there would only be a single flight of geese in for the day. I saw him drive up and sit in his truck until he saw the geese approaching. Then he got out of his truck and walked towards us shooing the geese off of our spread. He checked our licenses and shotguns grinning all of the time knowing full well what he'd done.

When I got home I wrote a letter on him as did my hunting partner. The letters were certified and mailed off. This guy had gone to a few town councils and tried to get hunting outlawed in certain areas which caused other people to write letters on him. Also, one night he got his BIL to confiscate a couple of friends' firearms. He caught them calling coyotes which he hated. Those guys went to a judge and got their guns back but the guns were just tossed into the back of a truck and were badly banged up. More letters. Mine happened to be the final blow. He was demoted from Captain to Lt and a second warden was assigned to the area. He was one step away from being fired.

Like I said in a prior post. Most wardens are decent guys just doing their jobs. I've been checked out a lot of times over the years and have actually appreciated the contact. I've seen other guys breaking the law and wished there was a warden around to bust them. Wardens are looking out for our interests, too.

Now a funny one. I lived up in SE Alaska for 15 years. One morning a friend and I got up for the first day of waterfowl season. While we were out hunting this gal came up and checked our licenses. We were okay. Since we were wrapped up by 8:30 am we decided to go salmon fishing. We took my skiff out and hooked up right away. Amazingly I caught a steelhead in the salt water. When we got back to the boat ramp here was that female warden checking out our licenses and catch. She started to write me up for catching an undersized king salmon but I proceeded to show her that it was a steelhead. Fortunately we were right next to the Fish Lab where a friend of mine who was a fish biologist worked. He came down and showed her it was a steelhead so she walked away.

Later in the day I was out the road fishing for cohos. There was a guy above me catching fish and then tossing them back. Trouble was he'd killed them. I kept a couple of them and cussed him out to his face. When I got back to the road guess who was there. Right. That female warden. She asked to see my license. I handed it to her and then said, "This is the third time you've checked me today." She looked shocked then said,"I'm sorry. I never looked at your face." I just rolled my eyes and headed home.
Posted by: Ghostman

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/31/16 08:46 PM

99% of the ones I've had the displeasure of meeting in this state are arrogant A holes who seem to treat everyone like they're a criminal and guilty of breaking the law.

My last encounter a couple of years ago is an prime example. I was legally hunting on a state owned 1200 acre bowhunting only farm that required a permit and call in reservation to hunt. I checked in with the wardens by phone as required, received permission to hunt that afternoon, drove 1 hour and parked my truck in one of the designated parking areas as required. I also had my hunting permit with number displayed on drivers side dashboard window of my vehicle as required.

I was in a treestand overlooking a swamp a few hundred yards from the parking area when a saw a wardens truck drive up to my vehicle (the only one in the designated parking area) at 4:10 in the afternoon. Through 10x bino's I watched him get out of his truck, walk around my truck and look at my hunting permit displayed in the window. After a few minutes he got back in his truck and drove back the way he came in. He stopped his truck every 50 yards got out and walked a few yards in the woods looking for me. After a few stops he parked directly in front of the patch of woods I was in (truck running), got out and again walked a into the woods looking for me. All of this mind you was taking place during peak hunting hours during the Rut.

Finally when he was about 30 yards away from the tree I was in I stood up and shouted ARE YOU LOOKING FOR ME? After he came back to earth he said yes if that's your truck parked up there. I said it was and he proceeded to walk to the bottom of the tree I was in. I asked him what was the problem? His answer was nothing, I just need to check your license. At that I about came unglued!!!

I proceeded to climb down the tree (in my climber) and handed him my license which was totally unnecessary because in order to receive a hunting permit an applicant has to furnish their state license info, vehicle make/model/year, address/phone number etc. All my info is on file with my permit number which he clearly saw. All he had to do was call it but that would have been to easy. Instead he chose to be an A hole and ruin an afternoon of hunting for no good reason.

My thought on the vast majority of game wardens I've encountered....I wouldn't piss on their leg if they were on fire.

Posted by: 4570Fan

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/07/16 09:23 PM

Luckily, I haven't had any personal contact with GWs in this area. However, I HAVE observed them breaking the traffic laws, i.e., exceeding the speed limit & changing lanes with no signal. In just a couple miles, I observed him on the side of the road, parked in an area lots of people use to walk down under the bridge to fish the creek. Was VERY close to pulling off and getting his info to report him, but had more urgent matters to tend to & just blew it off. Won't do that again. I'm tired of people who carry a badge & believe it gives them the right to behave in any way they please. Btw, it's not just the GW here who does that: I've seen VERY few LEOs who obey the traffic laws. They don't believe those laws exist to protect public safety. They believe those laws were passed merely to inconvenience LEOs, so they refuse to obey them.
Posted by: goosedowner

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/19/16 09:04 AM

I have had nothing but good experiences with GW's in Pa. All have been courteous and polite and on several occasions have gave us some very good information.
Posted by: Zerk

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/23/17 06:54 PM

I think it depends by state. In MI & WI, they are not the friend of sportsman. I don't care if you got a deerskin lampshade in your house, I am not calling the DNR.

Buddy told me opening day of deer season, one walked up to his blind to check his papers. A cop can't just pull you over to see if you are legal.

Said, hunters spend alot of time in the woods and see lots of stuff.
Posted by: viper

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/25/17 11:03 AM

Most I have had contact with have been very nice and professional . We had one in our area for years that was ...for lack or a better word special. He even threatened a local town police officer for spot lighting in a field around the local sewage treatment plant because deer were in the field and he had a weapon. Said if it happened again he would arrest him. Need less to say once the Chiefs of both agencies talked the CO never said anouther word. But that was just him, like any job you have a few testing personalities.
Posted by: pyscodog

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/13/17 05:45 PM

Most wardens I have come in contact with are just everyday Joe's doing a job. If your legal then there's no problems. Some aren't just overly friendly but never rude. The public land I hunt, during certain times of deer season, coyote hunting is off. One GW told me I couldn't call coyotes during deer rifle season but it one came buy it was OK to shoot him. That being said, its deer season till a coyote comes by, then its coyote season, at least for a few minutes!! I'm sure if your an A-hole to them, they can be a bigger A-hole right back.
Posted by: Bad Dawg

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/13/17 06:30 PM

I've always made it a point to form good relationships with them. I've never had any issues. I've never been questioned or asked for my license by them. It's been quite the opposite. They always ask me to let them know if I see any suspicious activity in the field, which I wouldn't hesitate to do. They take a lot of heat similar to what law enforcement officers are taking these days. Why make their job more difficult.

I respond to any law enforcement with yes sir no sir answers and make it a point to tell them I appreciate them. And look, I've never been shot, tased, maced or had my head beat in with a billy club by one. Isn't that weird!!

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/13/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
I'm sure if your an A-hole to them, they can be a bigger A-hole right back.

I think that's actually a requirement written into their job description.

grin
Posted by: ADK

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/15/17 07:24 PM

Haven't had a lot of experience with game wardens in my nearly 60 years of hunting and fishing. The few times our paths crossed I found them to be polite, professional and helpful.
Posted by: ADK

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 09/15/17 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: TBones
Lately here in Colorado It has changed. They seem to dislike hunters and trappers.

Are the leftists running your state going out of their way to recruit like minded wardens?
Posted by: bob2799

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 12/07/17 12:27 AM

my personal experience with game wardens has all been good .. state troopers need to take lessons from the wardens I have encountered .. I suppose I will find my bad warden someday .. you know .. the bad apple that gives them all a bad name ..
I drove tractor trailer o.t.r. for over 20 years and worked the safety department in a large trucking company for many more years after I quit driving .. my experience with state troopers and d.o.t. officers has not been good .. I have dealt with many more bad officers than good and a few of them were totally corrupt dishonest and would illegally write fines and place drivers or equipment out of service all for those almighty dollars for the state .. those officers have to make that monthly quota you know !
over the years I can proudly say that all the officers that wrote me illegal fines mistreated me illegally etc. were beaten in court ! don't ever be afraid to fight them in court if they are wrong and you can prove they are wrong .. bob ........
Posted by: willy1947

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/07/18 06:13 PM

I live in Ohio and I am 70 years old.
I have never been checked hunting.
About 6 years ago I was fishing, when the G W check a group of Mexicans next to me.
He wrote tickets for 45 minutes. He walk over to me and Dan and said "I hope you two have licenses" LOL

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/07/18 08:02 PM

smile
Posted by: galoot

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 02/10/18 10:13 PM

Figure you will get treated like you treat them. Even had a Warden hand me his pen when It dawned on me I forgot to sign my duck stamp, he could of keep it to write the ticket.
Posted by: BrienM

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 04/04/18 10:46 AM

Not many encounters but one time in particular, he had the impression that we were guilty of something but couldn't find anything right then and there to get us for. Couple other times was the regular license check and moved on. I have never given any attitude towards any of them. Always yes sir/no sir and totally polite. I have a lot of respect for any and all law enforcement. They are all pretty underpaid and I wouldn't be interested in doing what they do for what they make. Everyone has to make a living and some really take it seriously. America would be in better shape if everyone tried to do there job to the best of their ability instead of as little as possible to get by. (Lots of hard workers but enough slugs to make it hard on numerous others.)
Posted by: jwb48

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 05/27/18 07:04 PM

In the late 60's, I was remodeling my parents house. My Uncle came by wanting to go crappie fishing. So I said ok just for a little while. On the way to the lake I realized I hadn't bought my license yet for the new year. It was bout 45 degrees that day and we figured no GW would be out. Wrong. Bout 30 minutes into fishing, a boat came from 1/2 mile away, and made a beeee line straight for the small cove we were in. The GW boat pulled up to us and asked for license. Not good. Back then the fine was $25. At the time hunting license was $3.15 and fishing was $2.15 Ten years worth of license. Lesson learned. I do taxidermy and some of my closest friends and nicest people are Game Wardens.
Posted by: spotstalkshoot

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 06/11/18 10:35 PM

In several counties in Mn the CO's are spending a good portion of duty hours on meth/opiate surveillance operations. Parks and recreation areas have been used for drug dealing and sheriff's have needed help with the rural areas(not sure why regular LE needs help). I have wondered what affect this will have on sportsman/CO interactions.

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 06/12/18 10:36 AM

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot
In several counties in Mn the CO's are spending a good portion of duty hours on meth/opiate surveillance operations. Parks and recreation areas have been used for drug dealing and sheriff's have needed help with the rural areas(not sure why regular LE needs help). I have wondered what affect this will have on sportsman/CO interactions.

If I were a sportsman using the area I'd be happy someone was patrolling around there. Kinda nice to know your truck is going to be there at the end of the day and/or it hasn't been broken into so some doper can sell your stuff for a $20 fix. A Conservation Officer worth his salt should be able to tell the good guys from the bad guys and be happy to interact with legitimate sportsmen using the area. Again, if the CO is any good he knows every legit sportsman out there is another set of eyes to help keep the area safe from bad dudes. It's all good...
Posted by: PaVarminter

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/25/18 07:37 AM

In our part of the state here in Pa we have a woman Game Warden. Iíve talked to her several times and she seems nice enough but donít ever meet up with her driving down these narrow mountain roads sheíll run you off the road!! That has happened to me twice and I yelled at her twice lol

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 07/25/18 04:55 PM

Well... in all fairness to game wardens, it's still a woman driver.
Posted by: viper

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 08/10/18 08:45 PM

Some are very nice here in Indiana, and others act like youíve done something wrong and they are trying to bust you. I even had one approach the farmer I had permission to hunt from after he found out who it was from me. And asked him if he could hunt the same property. Owner said no he had someone hunting. Thought that was kinda crappy. But most I have met in Arizona have been real nice.
Posted by: EMP3

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/27/18 04:09 PM

Deleted. See Dick's dedicated memorial thread.
Posted by: daveInME

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 10/31/18 03:35 PM

I've never met one hunting but several times when fishing and they have been nothing but nice, even suggesting different bait for that particular spot.

Last year i was checked 3 times in a week and a half, and thought it odd, until the 3rd time when he was just starting his "hi there, how's the fish.... Oh it's you,enjoy the day"and started to walk away

I realized then that I had just moved to the area and they didn't know me from a distance so they checked. He and I are now on a 1st name basis.

What also helps is my wife is a volunteer for avaian haven in Freedom, Maine. he has called us 3 times with an injured bird needing rehab. 1 owl, 1 coopers hawk and a nighthawk.
Kind of neat getting up close and feeding a raptor.
Posted by: varminter .223

Re: What's been your experience with Game Wardens??? - 03/21/19 07:27 PM

Seems most I run into are arrogant aholes who think their job is to strutt around harassing law abiding people such as myself. I have run into a couple nice one but the former seem to be the majority.